• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chant
    Banned
    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by SunshineSometime View Post
    Nice work chant! How long did it take you to complete them?
    You should sell the last one to stores! I can see it working in lots of places. Id prefer if you tarnished the steel rods to compliment the patina of the wood
    It depends, one week of work for the coffee tables, more than four for the last one.

I'm selling some of them actually, and the last piece is a special order from designers to be used both in their workshop and in tradeshows.

I dont follow : steel rods are tarnished.

Comment

• Who?
      • Aug 2007

Chant this is excellent work. If you don't mind me asking do you hand make and treat the hardware or is it found objects like the wood?
      WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• SunshineSometime
        • May 2008

Originally posted by Chant View Post
        It depends, one week of work for the coffee tables, more than four for the last one.

I'm selling some of them actually, and the last piece is a special order from designers to be used both in their workshop and in tradeshows.

I dont follow : steel rods are tarnished.
        When the day comes and i have my own business i know who to call for a worktable. Out of curiousity, do you do it as a hobby or as a means of income?

Can't really see from the pics but I meant tarnish as oxidising them to give them a more aged look.

Comment

• Chant
          Banned
          • Jun 2008

When the day comes and i have my own business i know who to call for a worktable. Out of curiousity, do you do it as a hobby or as a means of income?
          It's my third hobby !

Can't really see from the pics but I meant tarnish as oxidising them to give them a more aged look.
          It is, with three possible results : rusted, black, charcoal grey.

Comment

• BeauIXI
            • Nov 2008

Ah la rustica! C'est magnifique, Chante!
            Originally posted by philip nod
            somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• magic
              • Feb 2009

very nice work from you chant. i like those wood finishing and design created.

best>
              Focusing on object details

Comment

• delirium
                • Sep 2008

looks very nice.

i'm curious as to the process you use.

i've been trying to read up on woodworking a bit to make some basic furniture :).

Comment

• Chant
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2008

You were maybe speaking about these rod, and not the threaded ones I use to assemble the pieces of wood :

I didn't want them tarnished since they worked well imo with the cross.

Comment

• Chant
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Who? View Post
                    Chant this is excellent work. If you don't mind me asking do you hand make and treat the hardware or is it found objects like the wood?
                    Hardware = steel ?
                    If so, I let steel bars rust outside, and when their patina is fine, I rub/brush them till a part of the rust disappears. Then I put a varnish to fix the result.

Comment

• diamonds
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Chant View Post
                      It's my third hobby !

It is, with three possible results : rusted, black, charcoal grey.

the nuts and bolts

that's we usually call hardware

Comment

• Chant
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2008

^ Oh sorry. I oxidize them with a tarnishing chemical product. If I use it pure, they'll be dirty black, mixed with some water, different shades of grey, from light to dark.

Comment

• Monty76
                          • Sep 2006

Amazing stuff Chant.

Just to pick your brain some more. Do you treat the wood at all? Clean it with a chemical? or finish it with a wax?

Comment

• Chant
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Monty76 View Post
                            Amazing stuff Chant.

Just to pick your brain some more. Do you treat the wood at all? Clean it with a chemical? or finish it with a wax?
                            No treatment at all : time and bad weather already did their job, and I want to keep the patina as it now. For the first coffee table, I've usen the oil painting we've been using for our parquet floor. Now, I'm going towards more simplicity : less hardware, lighter material, hessian instead of steel...

I'd to use some bleach to remove the green moss stains on the last piece I made, since the wood had stayed a long time on a lmuddy ground and for a part of them in the underground.

No wax neither, since nothing worse or harder than it already endured could happen now to the wood.

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

really nice stuff my friend, I particularly like the "bench" with three bins and the large rack system. the metal cross detail is awesome, I've used a similar shape on some tags

wish I'd be able to find material like that, I've searched for some nicely worn out wood for ages to use on tables etc, but all I end up finding is either too new or completely rotten.
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Chant
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                                really nice stuff my friend, I particularly like the "bench" with three bins and the large rack system. the metal cross detail is awesome, I've used a similar shape on some tags

wish I'd be able to find material like that, I've searched for some nicely worn out wood for ages to use on tables etc, but all I end up finding is either too new or completely rotten.
                                Thanks ML ! Btw the picture you posted (and which I can't find no more) of your homemade rack system has been one the main sources of inspiration for mine.

You can find this kind of wood on building/rehabiliting/destruction site, since they're used all over Europe (and further I guess) to built the scaffolfing.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎