• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Rules, Tips and Tricks - Mandatory Noob Reading

RULES:

1. SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST. MANY RECURRENT QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED ALREADY.

2. SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST. MANY RECURRENT QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED ALREADY.

3. DO NOT POST SIZING, PRICING, WHERE TO BUY, OR ANY OTHER SHOPPING OR PERSONAL STYLE RELATED QUESTIONS IN DESIGNER FORUMS.

In an effort to preserve the analytical and critical tone of "Designers and Their Work" and "Seasonal Collections" subforums, we ask that you keep shopping-related questions like sizing, where to find, style numbers, etc. in the shopping section of the forum in threads like "sizing help" and "help finding."

Sizing Help

Help Finding

Small Questions

4. DO NOT REPOST/QUOTE IMAGES ON THE SAME PAGE. It makes browsing annoying.

5. DO NOT COMMENT ON COLLECTIONS THREE MONTHS AFTER THEY WERE POSTED UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING RELEVANT TO SAY. "I love/hate this" does not cut it and nobody cares. Make sure you think your post is worthwhile.

6. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TRY TO ADVERTISE YOUR EBAY LISTINGS AND OTHER SELLING ACTIVITY IN GOOD FINDS OR ANYWHERE ELSE ON THIS FORUM. THIS IS A BANNABLE OFFENSE.

7. AS A RULE OF THUMB, IF YOU HAVE NOTHING INTERESTING TO ADD TO A DISCUSSION, IT'S BETTER TO NOT POST AT ALL. IF YOU LIKE SOMETHING, WRITE WHY. IF YOU DISLIKE SOMETHING, WRITE WHY.

8. SELLING IN CLASSIFIEDS IS A PRIVILEGE OF BEING A MEMBER OF THIS FORUM. A 100 POST RULE IS HERE FOR YOU TO PROVE THAT YOU CONSTRUCTIVELY CONTRIBUTE AND ARE SERIOUS ABOUT BEING A PART OF THIS COMMUNITY. SPEED POSTING, POSTING SHORT, MEANINGLESS MESSAGES IN A ROW JUST TO PAD YOUR POST COUNT, IS A BANNABLE OFFENSE.

TIPS:

1. Browsing old threads

SZ has loads of wonderful information, but the forums are automatically set to cut off after one month of inaction to cut out clutter. To view all threads, go into a subforum ("Designers and Collections" for example), in the lower left corner you will see several drop down menus - drop down the one that says "From Last Month" and choose whatever range you want - From the Beginning works well.

2. Posting photos

To conservie disk space, attachments are turned off. The only way to post photos is to use a photo hosting service, such as photobucket.com, tinypic.com or Imageshack.us. To post an image,

Go to one of the sites, upload the photo and choose a resize function (ie "messageboard 640x480") if the pic is large. after upload, copy the appropriate URL that is given ("direct link" or "for messageboards/layouts"). then paste the URL into a post by using the Insert Image function (landscape icon above text field) or by adding IMG tags as follows:

[ IMG ]http://i27.tinypic.com/filename.jpg[ /IMG ]

(without the spaces within the tags)

if you are posting a picture from elsewhere on the web, simply right click on it, choose properties, and copy paste the URL ("http://www.website.com/image.jpg"), and enter it into the tags as above.

3. Posting YouTube videos

To embed a YouTube video, go to YouTube, copy the part of the individual video link from your broswer window that identifies the video (it's the part after the = sign)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC_3alnTE9g

Enclose it into the following tags [ youtube ]xyz[ /youtube ] (without the gaps inside the brackets)

4. Posting in Classifieds

You cannot, under any circumstances post new threads in classifieds until you have 100 posts. This is done to encourage meaningful participation in the forums. This feature is programmed in, so do not PM me for exceptions.

Speed posting nonsense to gain the 100 posts will result in account termination.
    if you have nothing to say, you are welcome to read the forums but you need to sell elsewhere.

5. Editing Thread Title

If you want to edit the title of a thread you've started (i.e. if you want to add more items to your classifieds post), there are two ways. option 1 is outlined here. option 2, you can do so by going through Thread Tools > Edith Thread. you can edit titles for up to 2 months, after this you need to make a new thread if you wish to have a different title.
    Last edited by Avantster; 07-11-2010, 08:32 AM.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Avantster
    ¤¤¤
    • Sep 2006

On 1. Browsing old threads

New members would do well to read these two posts.

Where to start

Style Philosophy
    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
      • Jan 2008

More on 1. Browsing old threads

You can also in your 'User CP' -> 'Edit Options'
      Choose when the thread cut off is set to.
      Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
      Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• genevieveryoko
        • Sep 2009

what is the difference between using an IMG or just pasting in HTML?

These are the types of things I really don't get.
        http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

IMG is for pictures only. If you put a link to an image not enclosed in IMG, then you will get a link to the image, not the image itself.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Who?
            • Aug 2007

Can I change the title of a thread?
            WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Who? View Post
              Can I change the title of a thread?
              Good one. Thread Tools > Edit Thread

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jamesd
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                Good one. Thread Tools > Edit Thread
                When I tried to change the title of a Classifieds thread, the Thread Tools dropdown menu did not have an edit thread option (only delete thread). What am I missing here? Thanks.

Comment

• magic
                  • Feb 2009

click 'Go advanced' to edit title.
                  Focusing on object details

Comment

• jamesd
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by magic View Post
                    click 'Go advanced' to edit title.
                    Yeah, thanks, I tried that, but it didn't change the title of the thread, only the title of the posting, which doesn't accomplish much.

Comment

• Who?
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by jamesd View Post
                      Yeah, thanks, I tried that, but it didn't change the title of the thread, only the title of the posting, which doesn't accomplish much.
                      I have the same problem.
                      WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

in the forum view, double click next to the thread title, within the table cell, but not on the actual text. that should allow you to edit the title.

this currently works for 60 days - if your thread is older than that, you'd need to have me or Faust edit it. if its a sale thread, please make a new one if you wish to change the title.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

All - I realized that there is no specifically written rule to keep the shopping-related questions apart from the design-specific comments, so I added it here. Please make sure to follow it.

6. Keeping shopping and design-related posts separate

In an effort to preserve the analytical and critical tone of "Designers and Their Work" and "Seasonal Collections" subforums, we ask that you keep shopping-related questions like sizing, where to find, style numbers, etc. in the shopping section of the forum in threads like "sizing help" and "help finding."

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                            • Jan 2008

So I tried to change my avatar, but it comes up blank.
                            The image is within the 80x80p(or 19.5kb) size.
                            I tried both uploading from the hard drive and link,
                            with same result.
                            Is this because they are subject for approval?
                            I can't remember this happening last time ...
                            Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                            Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

That's weird. Let me look.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎