X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geoffrey B. Small
    • Nov 2007

"get set" photographed by Matthew Reeves now up on SZ

A quick and big thank you to Faust, Ahimsa and everyone for the Matthew Reeves photo coverage of "get set" for StyleZeitgeist which you can start to see on the seasonal collections thread here... http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...%92s-%96-Paris

More news coming soon... Geoffrey & the team

Comment

• Geoffrey B. Small
      • Nov 2007

"Why Slow Clothing Needs to Hurry Up" Geoffrey B. Small in Less Magazine no. 10

WHILE fashion in Paris now whirls around the latest runway presentations and conceptions of the world's most elevated and revered creative designers and brands, the industry's immense sustainability, ethical, and environmental issues and their effects on all of us remain present with little signs of going away. Recently, an independent online magazine dedicated specifically to slow clothing design asked us to give our most current unabridged view on the situation for their first print issue which was launched a few weeks ago during the Copenhagen design week. With their permission, a digital copy of the article out now in Less Magazine's Issue number 10 entitled "Why Slow fashion needs to hurry up," is being made exclusively available for online viewing here on SZ -with many thanks to the editors and publishers of Less and StyleZeitgeist.
      Best wishes, Geoffrey & the team

Comment

• zero25mg
        • Nov 2008

Great read
        I smiled at the limited edition part....so many UNlimited editions out there

I really want to live in an age where we all knew the face of the tailor and could talk to him/her before purchasing an item, where every piece of clothing was an original 1/1 garment, where we would patchwork and remake when damaged and an age where we could just burry the garment in the dirt when it would fall.

Hopefully that age exists not only in the past but also in the future.

Thanks to SZ we can talk to the tailors before buying so we have that at least.

Comment

• HugAndWug
          • Aug 2014

Is this real? I thought GBS didn't use poly :(

Comment

• Geoffrey B. Small
            • Nov 2007

Sorry, is what real? What exactly are you referring to? We have never liked poly and for the past decade and a half, we have totally gone against the industry direction and have been trying to eliminate it completely for 100% of our designs and products. Why do you think we are using poly? Please clarify your post. Thank you.

Comment

• HugAndWug
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Geoffrey B. Small View Post
              Sorry, is what real? What exactly are you referring to? We have never liked poly and for the past decade and a half, we have totally gone against the industry direction and have been trying to eliminate it completely for 100% of our designs and products. Why do you think we are using poly? Please clarify your post. Thank you.
              My post had a link to an online listing to an older garment of yours that was made with poly. I thought your brand hadn't used poly and was confused if there were fakes/replicas of your older clothes. Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

• Geoffrey B. Small
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by HugAndWug View Post
                My post had a link to an online listing to an older garment of yours that was made with poly. I thought your brand hadn't used poly and was confused if there were fakes/replicas of your older clothes. Thanks for the clarification!
                Dear HugAndWug, thank you for the clarification as well. The design is an SK3 from our spring/summer 2005 men's "Aboukir and the Able-Seaman" collection from our Napoleonic series period (see press article in Uomo Collezioni below). It's pricing on Grail reflects an unknowledgeable seller and is way below value as is the world availability listed which after 13+ years is half than what is stated. It was a successful design for us commercially and reflects one of many fleece advanced design rework streetwear pieces we did back then and before for many decades, and featured a very cool recycled vintage military button story on a dual-wear buttoned or zip central front. We were unable then and now to ever find or get access to 100% percent cotton fleece at the limited quantity and quality levels that we wanted and be able to hit certain price points that were critical then for our market and distribution in that time. So the staple fleece material we had to use by necessity was the 80/20 seen in the photo. There were also many things we did not know about back then that we know now including many scientific studies on plastics and sustainability that had not been done yet. Since then, other factors including our rising level and buying power in the industry, our ever more increased commitment to sustainable, ethical and environmental design, production and creation issues - and our incessant push for higher and higher quality in every aspect of our work - had led us to drop that type of product and fabric completely by 2008 and we no longer do anything with that fabric or similar composition since then. The biggest challenge however today, for us is in sewing thread and finishing accessories where more and more we are facing the elimination of natural fibre use. Our answer lies solely in growing our buying power in the industry to force suppliers of these goods to change direction away from poly--and we are succeeded step by step slowly with the help of the growing demand and support of our work around the world from our dealers and endline consumers who are concerned about these issues. If you are concerned as well, please keep us in mind when you are making wardrobe and garment purchases. Hope this is helpful. And thanks again for your posts, question and clarifications. Best wishes, Geoffrey & the team
                Last edited by Geoffrey B. Small; 03-11-2018, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• Geoffrey B. Small
                  • Nov 2007

"100" Men's spring/summer 2018 collection in Uomo Collezioni

Beautiful coverage in Uomo Collezioni Magazine
                  by Editor in Chief Alessandro Ferrari of "100"... our 100th collection presented in Paris, now arriving at exclusive GBS men's dealers worldwide.

"100" is also the subject of a new ultra-limited edition art and design book photographed by legendary Japanese fashion editor and photographer Toru Kitahara, coming out this month.

Collezioni magazine has been published in Italy since 1982 and is the industry's leading international runway coverage print publication.

With many thanks to everyone,
                  Geoffrey & team

Comment

• Hon
                    • Dec 2017

Dear Mr. Small,
                    As a relatively new and inexperienced SZ user, I am also very passionate about self-education and absorbing as much knowledge as possible. To clarify, is there any other area besides this forum and the Seasonal Collections where I could indulge myself in your work? I have a lot of respect for your label and its ideologies, and as a brand I consider "on my personal radar" I would love to learn more. I plan to go to Atelier NYC to view your works some point soon; however, until then I would like to learn more online. One last thing, sorry if this post sounds like I work as a paparazzi. To put it simply, I discovered your work a few months ago and would just like to know more about your work before my trip to Atelier.
                    Thank you,
                    Hon

Comment

• newp
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Hon View Post
                      Dear Mr. Small,
                      As a relatively new and inexperienced SZ user, I am also very passionate about self-education and absorbing as much knowledge as possible. To clarify, is there any other area besides this forum and the Seasonal Collections where I could indulge myself in your work? I have a lot of respect for your label and its ideologies, and as a brand I consider "on my personal radar" I would love to learn more. I plan to go to Atelier NYC to view your works some point soon; however, until then I would like to learn more online. One last thing, sorry if this post sounds like I work as a paparazzi. To put it simply, I discovered your work a few months ago and would just like to know more about your work before my trip to Atelier.
                      Thank you,
                      Hon
                      I was wondering the same some time ago and I found http://www.geoffreybsmall.net very informative: check the menu to the left, it has a lot of data for the past and the current for the brand. Most of the publications are covered/reposted here or on the website. This brand is very lowkey, it's not like others who tend to invest a lot in marketing and then happily include these costs in a price, moving it to the customer in the very end, so I understand the lack of information :)
                      This said, your Atelier visit should be great: I bet they will be happy to talk to you about it.

Comment

• Hon
                        • Dec 2017

Thanks newp, I previously browsed the site but got sucked into the ‘special pieces’ tab. With that said, you’re 100% right about the entire left side of the website being full of knowledge, thanks for the swift and respectful response. :)
                        Hon

Comment

• Geoffrey B. Small
                          • Nov 2007

reply to Hon

Originally posted by Hon View Post
                          Dear Mr. Small,
                          Thank you,
                          Hon

Thank you newp... dear Hon, thank you for your interest, the SZ thread here has a lot, as well as our site. Our work and our story are evolving continuously so no single media source or place can keep up or have it all. It's just too much, especially now that our organization is growing so rapidly. We can invite you to check out/follow our social media pages on Instagram and Facebook as well as other online pages about us:

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

there is quite a bit on youtube and vimeo in different channels and places as well for video, plus there is always something coming up on search engines. We have no single person yet focused on organizing and putting together these things in our firm yet, so you will just have to have some patience.
                          Hope this helps, and thanks again for putting us on your radar list, hope you have a great visit at Atelier.
                          Geoffrey & the team

Comment

• Geoffrey B. Small
                            • Nov 2007

GBS to launch new book and collection at Leisure Center in Vancouver

W
                            E ARE
                            very pleased to inform our readers on SZ that we will make a special one-day personal appearance on Saturday, April 28th at the new Leisure Center store in Vancouver Canada to personally introduce our first book and our 100th collection presented in Paris.

The new book entitled "100" was photographed by legendary Japanese fashion editor and photographer Toru Kitahara to commemorate our100th Paris collection with an extreme super limited collector’s edition print run of only 100 copies… printed and handbound in Italy, each hand-signed and numbered to ensure maximum collector's value over time.

Kitahara shot the collection on the same day just before the historic Paris show took place uniquely capturing the beauty, emotion and elegance of both the models and the collection in a photo essay that represents a master work which we believe will truly stand the test of time.

The stunning new design book was just recently introduced to the trade in Paris during the women's fashion week and marks the firm's first official book publishing project. Currently, more than three-fourths of the collector's print editions are spoken for and the beautifully shot and handcrafted publication matches the level of excellence required in all our design work and is expected to sell-out quickly and rise in value over time.

It is important to note that we believe our books need to achieve the same levels of design excellence and artistic beauty as our clothing, footwear and accessories, and after years of research, negotiations and study into the field, we decided not to do our books with any outside publishing/distribution or company such as Rizzoli, Steidl, Taschen or others. Instead, we have begun our own in-house publishing operation like our clothing, where we are able to control every aspect of the bookmaking process and content including the physical aspects of the publications themselves and of course retain 100% ownership of the intellectual and artistic materials and property rights contained within them. We feel strongly that our first endeavour into this medium has more than adequately met our commitment and our expectations.

LEISURE CENTER is a new lifestyle design concept store in Vancouver Canada designed by world-class London architects Casper Mueller Kneer (CMK) and is founded and directed by Mason Wu and MuYun Li. The stunning 20,000 square foot space executed in a 1930's heritage building in the city's center is reinventing the merging of Fashion and Art in one of the world's fastest growing luxury markets and was just recently covered by Eugene Rabkin in SZ-mag after hosting an event with London designer Yang Li. Former LNCC-London store founder John Skelton also served as a consultant to the new concept store during its development.

Leisure Center has reserved 12 copies of the collector's print editions which I will be signing during my visit on the 28th. An extensive selection from the new clothing collection for spring/summer 2018 is also now just arrived at the store, where I will be on hand to discuss both the book and the collection with visitors, customers and guests. You can contact Sophie Tang (sophie.t@leisure-center.com) to reserve a book, rsvp or get more information on the event.

If SZ readers are in the area, we look forward to seeing you on the 28th.

Best wishes,

Geoffrey & the team

Comment

• kingscott
                              • Mar 2018

Very much looking forward to this Mr. Small, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎