X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yan
    • Mar 2008

Looking for examples of kindness

Hi. I wasn't sure whether to post this on here and Faust if you don't think it is appropriate than I have no argument with you pulling this.

Anyway, I was the recipient of a very kind action from a guy who I had never met before.In fact he leant me his car so I could attend the funeral of a friend. It got me thinking that we are bombarded by all the shit in the world but the good stuff barely registers.

I have started a blog http://alittlekindness.blogspot.com to publish and promote examples of kind acts. If any of you can think of any, please contact me and I'll be happy to post them for you. Anyway be well my friends.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

It's cool by me. I'm sorry to hear about your friend :-(
    Last week, my ex-coworkers daughter died. She was 5, was born a month after my own daughter. It was a hellish week. The power of imagination, I hope to never deal with you again.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fenrost
      Banned
      • Mar 2009

Just thought I would share, this happened last year.

I lived in the melbourne city and had parking meters, there was an officer putting tickets on cars whos meters had run out. I watched this lady parked her car, got out and walked to the meter and insert coins. As she was about to walk off she saw an officer a few cars down and looked to the meter for the car next to hers. That meter had expired, she then puts coins for the car next to her.

It just struck me as a nice thing for her to do even if they were strangers. Glad to see there are so unselfish people in this world.

Comment

• crz
        • Apr 2008

i have heard a lot of stories from friends and family in relation to random acts of kindness, and have had the privilege of helping other people.

A friend was telling me, that one time at a petrol station/gas station, he had filled up his car full tank (expensive these days), he went inside and to the counter told the attendant which pump he was at, and had a pleasant shocked. The attendant pointed to a guy outside who was getting into his car, and said "he already payed for you". He was really surprised, he never met or even saw that guy before. So now, whenever my friend fills up at the pump and has extra money he does the same for other people.

another story: i used to do contract work around the sydney CBD and caught the train everyday for about an hour. i used to buy 'day tripper' tickets (these were fully reimbursed by my company) , which allowed travel anywhere (on train, bus, ferry) all day. used to start early in the morning (5-6am) and get back to my train station around mid-afternoon. so, at this point i had no use for the ticket for the rest of the day, so i used to give it to people who were about to buy a ticket and 'looked like' they could use the help. a ticket is only $5-10 or so, but i guess it helps!

ok last one: as i said, i used to catch the train everday, and occasionally stop off different stations depending on where i was working that day. i got off at a station that was at the time under a lot of construction. it was a really busy morning, and i was running late by 10-20 mins, but i saw a blind man, and it was obvious he wasnt used to the train station/platform due to the renovations/construction work going along everywhere. i was checking my watch, cos i hate being late. i was really in two worlds whether to help or not, thinking "he'll be ok"..but i sorta followed him, seeing if he was ok, but after a couple minutes it really was apparent that he was having difficulty. so i approached him, and asked him where he was going. he described the place, which i knew, and it turns out he was going the totally opposite way. so for the first time in my life, i was leading a blind man (he was holding on to my shoulder), and it really did feel good to help. looking back, i havnt ever been in the same situation, it didnt matter if i was late.
        i tell this in all humbleness, and hope that people in this world could make a difference in another persons life, no matter how small it may be. "be the difference that makes a difference"

Comment

• Yan
          • Mar 2008

Thank you for your replies. I will publish them both in the next few days under your sz names if thats ok?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fenrost View Post
            Just thought I would share, this happened last year.

I lived in the melbourne city and had parking meters, there was an officer putting tickets on cars whos meters had run out. I watched this lady parked her car, got out and walked to the meter and insert coins. As she was about to walk off she saw an officer a few cars down and looked to the meter for the car next to hers. That meter had expired, she then puts coins for the car next to her.

It just struck me as a nice thing for her to do even if they were strangers. Glad to see there are so unselfish people in this world.
            This is illegal in New York - you can get a ticket for that.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fenrost
              Banned
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              This is illegal in New York - you can get a ticket for that.
              Really? To be frank, I myself ain't sure if it's legal here in Melbourne, the officer might have saw it too but dint say anything. She sure have risked herself and saved someone from having a bad day.

Comment

• Yan
                • Mar 2008

Thanks Faust.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                It's cool by me. I'm sorry to hear about your friend :-(
                Last week, my ex-coworkers daughter died. She was 5, was born a month after my own daughter. It was a hellish week. The power of imagination, I hope to never deal with you again.
                Yeah. He was like a father to me. In his last months he wouldn't let me see him as he deteriorated from throat cancer. I was on my way to the funeral and decided to get my car washed. The fucking thing wouldnt start and I was panicking when the owner of the car wash past me his keys and said take mine. He wouldn't even accept any money for gas. This is from a guy who said business was bad. It made me look at my life and realise what a shallow meaningless existence I had lead. Hence my blog. Appreciate your sanction Faust and sad to hear about your ex-coworkers daughter I look at mine and cannot contemplate what it would be like if something were to happen to them. I'm going to publish your last sentence if I may. It moved me.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Sure, feel free.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ironman
                    • Apr 2008

something small, but two years ago i went to dinner with my girlfriend for new year's eve, and decided to go to City Hall afterward to watch the countdown while we were at it

as the latter was unplanned, we weren't prepared when it started heavy pouring rain a couple who was leaving saw us, gave us an umbrella (they had one each), said Happy New Year with a smile and off they went

Comment

• Yan
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by ironman View Post
                      something small, but two years ago i went to dinner with my girlfriend for new year's eve, and decided to go to City Hall afterward to watch the countdown while we were at it

as the latter was unplanned, we weren't prepared when it started heavy pouring rain a couple who was leaving saw us, gave us an umbrella (they had one each), said Happy New Year with a smile and off they went
                      love stories like that. Thanks.

Comment

• Yan
                        • Mar 2008

Thanks Faust.

Originally posted by Yan View Post
                        Yeah. He was like a father to me. In his last months he wouldn't let me see him as he deteriorated from throat cancer. I was on my way to the funeral and decided to get my car washed. The fucking thing wouldnt start and I was panicking when the owner of the car wash past me his keys and said take mine. He wouldn't even accept any money for gas. This is from a guy who said business was bad. It made me look at my life and realise what a shallow meaningless existence I had lead. Hence my blog. Appreciate your sanction Faust and sad to hear about your ex-coworkers daughter I look at mine and cannot contemplate what it would be like if something were to happen to them. I'm going to publish your last sentence if I may. It moved me.
                        Do you mind if I quote the last 3 sentences?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

go ahead, yan.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

A few months ago, I had purchased a new counter top that we use as a desk, balanced between several drawers units. the whole piece was about 12ft long and weighed a ton being wood. I needed to carry it up 5 floors with my girlfriend, as we were half way through the first floor and already frustrated, a neighbor we have never seen came into corridor. she was a middle aged woman, she basically left her bags there, kicked off her heels and started carrying the table with us all the way up to the 5th floor. without the help, we most likely would've left it halfway and continued later as it was so hard to manuever in the staircase. the fact that she would stop on her way out and spend a good 10 minutes helping us even though we've never met before was really heart warming.
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Yan
                              • Mar 2008

Thanks people. You guys have given me more examples in 2 days than Twitter has in 2 months! Keep them coming please.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎