Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lotek01
    • Aug 2009

YESSSSS one of my favourite female designers for a while, but I could never find enough images as I can't see the TFS ones. Thanks so much!

Comment

• jcotteri
      • Jun 2008

absolutely grand... Such perfect steps right up until now
      WTB: This

Comment

• Pinky
        • Mar 2009

Thanks for all these wonderful pictures, Avantster!

Comment

• Avantster
          ¤¤¤
          • Sep 2006

you're welcome, all. thought it was about time i uploaded and posted them up. the man certainly deserves his dues.
          let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
            • Mar 2009

Damn, I want all of those girls.

I'll never ask them to take off their clothes, I swear
            I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
            I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Weird, as I was scrolling down to see your post, I thought, "Wow, these girls are pretty."
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

I really like what I've seen of this label, amusingly enough I was looking for more info a few days ago.
                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• klangspiel
                  • Apr 2007

Shinsaku Maehama

there's another japanese designer working from a very similar, or should i say kindred, aesthetic - shinsaku maehama who runs the label, golem. but unlike katsuhiro makino, he produces menswear.

there's also this japanese emigre couple based in melbourne that might be worth mentioning as they strike me as treading similar design ideas. their label goes by the name of ess hossika / ess laboratory. they have a website but it's unfortunately left in neglect and isn't as helpful as it should be. fortunately there's a physical store over here which should be a requisite stopover for anyone visiting melbourne.

Comment

• lotek01
                    • Aug 2009

klangspiel:

I haven't heard from golem for ages, thanks for reminding me!

And living in Melbourne, I've been a strong supporter of Ess Hoshika/Laboratory (one's the brand the other's the shop I think... can't remember) for many years, before her physical store, which is VERY cool btw. Not much menswear but some very cool ideas, one involving knitwear based around a "circular" theme, where the sleeves and pant legs are extra long and curve dramatically inwards. The womenswear are where they really shine though; I obviously don't own any but my GF has been buying her pieces for ages and they are so unique and versatile and can often be worn in many ways. Really well-priced for what they are too. I'm sure some pieces can be worn unisex but they have a distinct feminine cut.

They used to be stocked in Eastern Market but they pulled out of all their stockists when their flagship store opened. Surprisingly they don't stock in Japan but the last time I talked to her they were interested but felt they weren't ready yet, which is kinda surprising but I don't know how the industry works there. It's a bit of a pity they haven't had the same attention from the local scene (as opposed to the stupid number of shit labels that get hyped to no end) as when they launched but I expect they're trying to move away from the stigma of being an "Aussie label", seeing as how the scene seems to promote the mediocre and ignore the outstanding.

Her life/business partner is a character too, a composer I think. He seems a bit stuffy/shy but Hoshika Oshimie herself is very nice and easy to talk to, despite her limited english. The sales girl there when I went was pretty hot too ;) The next time I go I'll try to ask them for pictures so I can start a proper thread and maybe I'll help them with their woeful website...

Anyway, to keep in topic with this Aski Kataski thread (too late?), while I loooove the label's look it can sometimes get costumey with the stylized campaign shots, but the more casual fit pics brings the "wearability" back a bit:

Comment

the latter stuff seems to have been fiercly edited, which i appreciate. the first few seasons was way too steam punky for me. i like the patchy layered nature of it though. a hazily wrapped bedroom window in a back alley of London

Comment

• kompressorkev
                        • Dec 2006

yes it's pretty freaking incredible! he is still designing, hasn't skipped a beat. word is men and women for ss12. not sure how much menswear there will be, but i know for ss11 there were some unisex accessories - i tried to get a hold of some but they sold out quick.

anyway

love that rough-hewn look. i don't know many who can pull it off but i love his universe aesthetically.
                        Last edited by kompressorkev; 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎