Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jgan85
    • Apr 2008

Not so much about paypal, but more about eBay.

Bought a suit, Canadian seller says shipping will be $35 for USPS Priority equivalent. I pay the invoiced total, and wait. Two and a half weeks pass, nothing. I contact the seller, and after some delay he responds that the package hasn't arrived because he decided to ship it by surface mail instead, which will take 8 weeks. Offer, rather curtly, a $5 refund. I tell him to keep the $5, and that it's common courtesy to inform me after shipping + that he's shipped via a different, much slower service.

Anybody encountered this before? If the item doesn't arrive before the end of the eBay feedback period, shall I just give him a straight negative?

J

EDIT: seller has about 150 feedback I believe, so not a new user.
    ________
    Honda G4 Transmission
    Last edited by jgan85; 04-05-2011, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• beardown
      rekoner
      • Feb 2009

I usually try to work things out before going with a negative.
      I would send him a message via the ebay messaging system and ask him to refund the difference in price for the shipping.
      (which I'm guessing would be around the $27 mark or so since ground shipping internationally is dirt cheap.)

Don't give him an ultimatum that you'll leave a negative feedback if he won't refund because that's considered feedback blackmail and that makes you the bad guy suddenly.

If he won't refund, he DID break the terms so you can open a paypal dispute for a shipping refund.
      If he acts like a dick in the process and gives you hassle, leave him a negative in the end. No questions asked. It's only fair that you should warn others what they're getting into when they buy from him.

Regardless, I would open an Ebay dispute so it's on record that the seller shipped you an item without any tracking or confirmation service because if it doesn't arrive, it'll be easier to proceed.
      Originally posted by mizzar
      Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• jgan85
        • Apr 2008

mmm i'm not looking for a refund of the difference in shipping, just want to wear the item soon, but i guess that's not possible as it stands.

no ultimatum, of course, but i will take your advice and open an eBay dispute for sure.

thank you!

J

EDIT: I just sent the seller a message asking for some proof of shipping or the like. Very interestingly, I notice that he input a tracking number into the eBay system. However, that number is wrong, because inputting that number into the Canada Post website shows a South Korean destination address. Clearly, I'm not in South Korea.
        ________
        PENNY STOCKS TO BUY

Comment

• sshum88
          • Dec 2007

^ jgan85...my experience for shipping with tracking anything outside of North America from Canada is a minimum of $60 CAD. Like others here, I won't ship anything without tracking. I find it surprising that the EBay seller doesn't have some idea of shipping rates outside of NA given his level of activity and to offer you a $5 refund is a bit of an insult.

I believe you're in Singapore? If it was shipped via surface, it is going to be a very long time and likely outside the window that EBay and Paypal have for filing disputes. Personally I would file the dispute within the window and then see what happens.
          Originally posted by eat me
          If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• jgan85
            • Apr 2008

^ sshum88: much obliged, yes I just took the seller's rate at face value, perhaps he doesn't ship out of NA much

yes in SG, its about 3 weeks now, so 5 more weeks going by the seller's ETA, I wrote him a message asking about the discrepancy in the tracking number provided, but no response, so I guess I will wait til Monday for a response, write him another message asking for the number once more, and if he doesn't respond, file a claim straight.

Will post up the seller's details if it eventually turns out that he's not legit.

J
            ________
            Gang Bang Tube

Comment

• mononon
              • Sep 2009

some stupid ebay seller:
              pay for item with charge of 10 euro shipping to USA (light item)

refunds me and demands another 20 euros to ship...WTF

so if i want the item even though i legally purchased it, i have to pay extra right?
              calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• treasurehoard
                • Dec 2009

^ iI they stated 10 in the listing they need to honor that price. If it costs them more than 10 to ship it they will have to eat the cost. They cannot raise the shipping cost after the fact if they already stated it in the listing.

Comment

• mononon
                  • Sep 2009

^yeah, i know, but the seller just refunded my money without asking, so i know for a fact she would not ship it and it will just lead to a long process that would get nowhere. she relisted it with the new (read: ripoff) shipping price, and i just rebought it. no too happy about it, but what can i do (except not buy it :P)
                  calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• treasurehoard
                    • Dec 2009

You could leave negative feedback after receiving the item stating your dissatisfaction with how they handled the transaction. They should have honored the original shipping cost.

ETA you might be able to get paypal to partially refund you also. They have an option when you file a dispute that the seller charged more shipping than what you originally agreed on. Not sure if it would work in this case since it was 2 separate listings but worth a shot.

Comment

• allanb
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                      When you send money as a gift, you give up your right to dispute any transaction because officially, none took place.
                      This is a good point to consider when sending a payment to a seller who you have not dealt with before or has no positive feedback. I recently learnt this the hard way.

I've seen chargebacks mentioned a few times in this thread. Has anyone actually had success in disputing a case with their banks directly where the money was transferred with PayPal?

Comment

• treasurehoard
                        • Dec 2009

^ chargeback is for credit cards. If you transfer money from your bank you will not have any protection other than paypal buyer protection (which is basically not very good). For transactions outside of eBay that means you are only covered if you do not receive the item, if the item is not as described you are SOL in a paypal dispute. With a chargeback you can file for item not as described and win. It is difficult for a seller to fight a chargeback for "merchandise" and the buyer will almost always win.

I would definitely recommend funding purchases with a credit card just in case there are any issues.

Comment

• allanb
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by treasurehoard View Post
                          ^ chargeback is for credit cards. If you transfer money from your bank you will not have any protection other than paypal buyer protection (which is basically not very good). For transactions outside of eBay that means you are only covered if you do not receive the item, if the item is not as described you are SOL in a paypal dispute. With a chargeback you can file for item not as described and win. It is difficult for a seller to fight a chargeback for "merchandise" and the buyer will almost always win.

I would definitely recommend funding purchases with a credit card just in case there are any issues.
                          I know that a chargeback is for credit cards. I'm curious to know how U.S. banks deal with chargebacks where PayPal has been involved. From what I understand the bank will usually be able to view and (hopefully) contact the vendor. If there is another layer between the vendor and the bank (ie; PayPal) the visibility between vendor and bank is not there. I'd really like to know people's experiences with this.

Comment

• treasurehoard
                            • Dec 2009

My experience with unauthorized chargebacks is as long as you follow the user agreement PayPal will cover you in most cases. With merchandise chargebacks you will not be covered in most cases. They will give you the option to fight a merchandise chargeback but in the end you will probably lose no matter what you tell them. PayPal will act as a 3rd party in chargebacks and contact the credit card company but they are not extremely helpful - basically they just relay the information.

Comment

• ironman
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by treasurehoard View Post
                              My experience with unauthorized chargebacks is as long as you follow the user agreement PayPal will cover you in most cases. With merchandise chargebacks you will not be covered in most cases. They will give you the option to fight a merchandise chargeback but in the end you will probably lose no matter what you tell them. PayPal will act as a 3rd party in chargebacks and contact the credit card company but they are not extremely helpful - basically they just relay the information.
                              he's right. you just lose.

PayPal says don't worry we'll help you fight it. but they don't do anything for you, are very unresponsive, and you lose the chargeback claim. then they basically say yeah, sorry but we lost. oh btw you have to pay this extra fee cuz we talked to them for you a little sorta but not really

i haven't had a buyer do a chargeback to me in a while. i forget what PayPal's added fee for "helping you" is

Comment

• treasurehoard
                                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by ironman View Post

i haven't had a buyer do a chargeback to me in a while. i forget what PayPal's added fee for "helping you" is
                                They are raising the price starting in August:

A chargeback will cost $20. (It was $10.) If you’re in our PayPal Preferred program, you won’t pay chargeback fees for your eBay transactions.
                                $10 extra to let you know you have no chance of winning a chargeback. This is only for cases where you will lose though. If you are covered by seller protection there is no fee.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎