Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying & Selling Online using Paypal

Quote Originally Posted by mononon View Post
    yes, all paypal funds are used before your checking account / credit card is charged.
    Thank you sir, just copped one of my grails, will post pictures when received.

I have a question.
    Is it possible to split an amount of, say 20,000 yen into two payments and send them on the same day?
    E.g. pay 5,000 yen once and 15,000 yen on the other payment.

I remeber trying that some time back when paying croatan and I think it didn't work (Paypal gave me some lame answer and then within a day later I could send him payment again).
    Last edited by MoFiya; 07-18-2010 at 06:42 AM.
    I have dreams of orca whales and owls
    But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

It should be fine but I don't know the specifics about amount limits per day.
    There have been a few times when I've sent payment to someone for something and then bought something else from them in the same day when there were multiple listings.
    And once sent money to Lowrey for something and didn't add shipping so I went back and sent that out within an hour.
    Last edited by beardown; 07-18-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzar View Post
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Thanks for the kind and swift response
    Last edited by MoFiya; 07-19-2010 at 12:47 AM.
    I have dreams of orca whales and owls
    But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

this is actually an ebay/paypal question and i didn't see this subject covered..

when you start a new ebay account, ebay will hold your paypal funds for either 20 days or until the seller gives you positive feedback. i guess this is to ensure new ebay members are not frauds. after a certain amount of feedbacks, the holds will be lifted. i read somewhere that once you receive payment, you can refund the buyer a tiny amount like .10 cents, then paypal will clear the payment in your paypal account. this no longer works and i was wondering if anyone knows of another solution?

another question.. buyers and myself often make offers in the ebay messaging system to purchase items listed on ebay privately. i'm fine with this as sellers are only paying the fees to start the ebay auction. but since ebay and paypal now sleep together, do they know people are doing this to avoid ebay final sale fees?

i was also told that if you gift pay in paypal and list your address and item description in the paypal messaging system, paypal will flag it as a commercial transaction and charge you the normal rate. this true?

Quote Originally Posted by endersgame View Post
    this is actually an ebay/paypal question and i didn't see this subject covered..

1. when you start a new ebay account, ebay will hold your paypal funds for either 20 days or until the seller gives you positive feedback. i guess this is to ensure new ebay members are not frauds. after a certain amount of feedbacks, the holds will be lifted. i read somewhere that once you receive payment, you can refund the buyer a tiny amount like .10 cents, then paypal will clear the payment in your paypal account. this no longer works and i was wondering if anyone knows of another solution?

2 . another question.. buyers and myself often make offers in the ebay messaging system to purchase items listed on ebay privately. i'm fine with this as sellers are only paying the fees to start the ebay auction. but since ebay and paypal now sleep together, do they know people are doing this to avoid ebay final sale fees?

3. i was also told that if you gift pay in paypal and list your address and item description in the paypal messaging system, paypal will flag it as a commercial transaction and charge you the normal rate. this true?
    1. If they catch you trying to skirt the 21 day hold system they might hold the money for a much longer period of time and not allow you to use paypal. Also could limit/NARU your eBay account. Best way to get these limits removed is sell some stuff to build up your feedback so they no longer hold they payments.

2. Yes they know people are doing this. Will they screen every e-mail to determine it? Probably not. It is just not feasible. However if you end up with a buyer who is upset/not satisfied with the transaction and they report you to eBay that is where you would have an issue. Most likely they will not NARU you for the 1st offense but it can cause loss of powerseller status, account limitations (like not allowing you to list for a certain time period) etc.

3. If you do this a few times they probably will not notice. Most of the accounts getting flagged for this were doing it multiple times. I believe 1 thing they were doing is removing the gift/personal payment option from the offending users accounts.

Paypal doesn't mind personal payments when they are between personal accounts. You can write to them directly and they will confirm that they don't mind.
    I'm guessing this is why: Transactions that take place outside of Ebay are a nightmare for them as you can imagine to regulate. Think of how many people are ripped off and open disputes from forums like sufu, etc.
    It's almost impossible to get to the bottom of it since it's one person's word against another person's word.

When you send money as a gift, you give up your right to dispute any transaction because officially, none took place.
    Plus, paypal customers who use the personal service also are paying customers eventually. Not to mention that even if you receive money without paying any fees, that money will stay in their possession for long enough to make some interest off of.

I don't know a lot about current Ebay policies but you can bet that if you send an offer to buy something off of Ebay via the ebay messaging system, you'll eventually get caught and banned. It's a direct violation of the terms when you sign up. Period.
    If you're going to try something like that, request the seller's email address so you can contact them directly without going through the messaging system. Otherwise, you're asking for trouble if you want to remain a member.

got an email this weekend from paypal saying that for refunds, they are still refunding the 2.9% but they are keeping the 30 cents. They are also increasing the chargeback fee from $10 to $20.

so from what you guys are saying, eBay reads the messages in my personal account to screen for offers made outside ebay? if they have to do that to catch people making offers, that's really messed up..

i've been sending items to so many unconfirmed addresses in the past, i forget that paypal won't protect me if the buyer files a claim for an unauthorized transaction (stolen credit card, etc)

^ if you are sending messages with the eBay message system then they can read any of them if they choose. Unless your account has been previously flagged for something I doubt they will read them at random. If a buyer reported you for selling outside of ebay or there was an issue where the buyer had a complaint and then contacted eBay to complain eBay would definitely review your messages. Even if you delete them they will still be available in a database somewhere that people who work for eBay can access them.

If you are sending messages by e-mail they cannot read those of course but a buyer could forward them along w/ headers.

Not so much about paypal, but more about eBay.

Bought a suit, Canadian seller says shipping will be $35 for USPS Priority equivalent. I pay the invoiced total, and wait. Two and a half weeks pass, nothing. I contact the seller, and after some delay he responds that the package hasn't arrived because he decided to ship it by surface mail instead, which will take 8 weeks. Offer, rather curtly, a $5 refund. I tell him to keep the $5, and that it's common courtesy to inform me after shipping + that he's shipped via a different, much slower service.

Anybody encountered this before? If the item doesn't arrive before the end of the eBay feedback period, shall I just give him a straight negative?

J

EDIT: seller has about 150 feedback I believe, so not a new user.
    ________
    Honda G4 Transmission
    Last edited by jgan85; 04-05-2011 at 08:48 PM.

I usually try to work things out before going with a negative.
    I would send him a message via the ebay messaging system and ask him to refund the difference in price for the shipping.
    (which I'm guessing would be around the $27 mark or so since ground shipping internationally is dirt cheap.)

Don't give him an ultimatum that you'll leave a negative feedback if he won't refund because that's considered feedback blackmail and that makes you the bad guy suddenly.

If he won't refund, he DID break the terms so you can open a paypal dispute for a shipping refund.
    If he acts like a dick in the process and gives you hassle, leave him a negative in the end. No questions asked. It's only fair that you should warn others what they're getting into when they buy from him.

Regardless, I would open an Ebay dispute so it's on record that the seller shipped you an item without any tracking or confirmation service because if it doesn't arrive, it'll be easier to proceed.

mmm i'm not looking for a refund of the difference in shipping, just want to wear the item soon, but i guess that's not possible as it stands.

no ultimatum, of course, but i will take your advice and open an eBay dispute for sure.

thank you!

J

EDIT: I just sent the seller a message asking for some proof of shipping or the like. Very interestingly, I notice that he input a tracking number into the eBay system. However, that number is wrong, because inputting that number into the Canada Post website shows a South Korean destination address. Clearly, I'm not in South Korea.
    ________
    PENNY STOCKS TO BUY

^ jgan85...my experience for shipping with tracking anything outside of North America from Canada is a minimum of $60 CAD. Like others here, I won't ship anything without tracking. I find it surprising that the EBay seller doesn't have some idea of shipping rates outside of NA given his level of activity and to offer you a $5 refund is a bit of an insult.

I believe you're in Singapore? If it was shipped via surface, it is going to be a very long time and likely outside the window that EBay and Paypal have for filing disputes. Personally I would file the dispute within the window and then see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by eat me View Post
    If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

^ sshum88: much obliged, yes I just took the seller's rate at face value, perhaps he doesn't ship out of NA much

yes in SG, its about 3 weeks now, so 5 more weeks going by the seller's ETA, I wrote him a message asking about the discrepancy in the tracking number provided, but no response, so I guess I will wait til Monday for a response, write him another message asking for the number once more, and if he doesn't respond, file a claim straight.

Will post up the seller's details if it eventually turns out that he's not legit.

J
    ________
    Gang Bang Tube

some stupid ebay seller:
    pay for item with charge of 10 euro shipping to USA (light item)

refunds me and demands another 20 euros to ship...WTF

so if i want the item even though i legally purchased it, i have to pay extra right?
    calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

^ iI they stated 10 in the listing they need to honor that price. If it costs them more than 10 to ship it they will have to eat the cost. They cannot raise the shipping cost after the fact if they already stated it in the listing.

^yeah, i know, but the seller just refunded my money without asking, so i know for a fact she would not ship it and it will just lead to a long process that would get nowhere. she relisted it with the new (read: ripoff) shipping price, and i just rebought it. no too happy about it, but what can i do (except not buy it :P)
    calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

You could leave negative feedback after receiving the item stating your dissatisfaction with how they handled the transaction. They should have honored the original shipping cost.

ETA you might be able to get paypal to partially refund you also. They have an option when you file a dispute that the seller charged more shipping than what you originally agreed on. Not sure if it would work in this case since it was 2 separate listings but worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by beardown View Post
    When you send money as a gift, you give up your right to dispute any transaction because officially, none took place.
    This is a good point to consider when sending a payment to a seller who you have not dealt with before or has no positive feedback. I recently learnt this the hard way.

I've seen chargebacks mentioned a few times in this thread. Has anyone actually had success in disputing a case with their banks directly where the money was transferred with PayPal?