X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chant
    Banned
    • Jun 2008

Is eBay buyer protection different from Paypal's one or are they basically the same ?

Comment

• curiouscharles
      • Jan 2008

As far as I know Paypal's protection scheme is the exact same [as Ebay owns Paypal]. You're pretty much safe so long as you don't pay as a gift / personal payment.

I do believe the claim period has been extended to 45 days as well.

Other people might know better though...

-

Comment

• falconchan
        • Feb 2011

I was told the shipping fee of my leather jkt was 250euros from Germany to China...how could that happen...
        Background Ecucation make me sick.

Comment

• beardown
          rekoner
          • Feb 2009

Maybe they bought it a seat on an airplane?
          Originally posted by mizzar
          Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• 0JSIMPS0N
            Banned
            • Jun 2011

sounds a bit out there but still feasible. canada post charges you easily $200+ for a heavy leather jacket shipped internationally with tracking

ask for the receipt

Comment

• beardown
              rekoner
              • Feb 2009

That's ridiculous. Utterly insane. For that amount, it better be delivered with armed guards and 100% inclusive of all taxes, duties, fees, etc.
              I've had really fast canadian shipping to the states for a jacket that was around 5 days and the price was on the package itself for about $16 CDN.

The only way I can imagine the price OP is talking about is if it is overnight and includes all taxes, duties, fees or if he paid VAT on something that was super expensive.

I had a leather jacket (size 50, so it was substantial) shipped to me from Germany to the U.S. and paid around $40 USD for priority shipping that took about 5 business days.

It's pretty easy to figure out if someone is sacking you on shipping because all you need is the weight and the city of origination and city of destination and carrier to check it online.

Ask them how the fuck they're shipping it. I think whoever it is is taking advantage. They're certainly not being smart about it at the very least. And ask if they're including VAT, which is a european tax that people outside of europe really aren't obligated to pay. There are different ways of handling it (paying and then being reimbursed, having it deducted by the commerce system at time of purchase after confirming your credit card is issued from a non-EU country, etc.)

Contact them, ask them the exact details and breakdown of the shipping charge and see if they can ship by any other method.

(Roughly) $308 USD for shipping a jacket is highway robbery...if it's a retailer, they should be ashamed.
              Originally posted by mizzar
              Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Dawn
                • Mar 2009

The most I ever spent on shipping was for a pair of Rick megacreepers boots that cost me $225 CAD from Canada to Australia via International Air Parcel that took around 6-10 business days. The cheapest method would have been $115 via International Air Surface (by boat), but that would have took like 2 months. I was curious about the price difference if I was to ship the boots to the US instead so I asked for a quote and I was told it would have been around $70 (same method I chose to ship to Australia). Yeah, Canada Post sucks.

Comment

• sshum88
                  • Dec 2007

To support Dawn's experience here as a Canadian selling items outside of NA. There are no armed guards nor are the costs all inclusive of any fees upon landing. It is much different shipping to the US from Canada.

In Canada, shipping internationally to anywhere outside of NA is expensive if you want tracking via air. I've taken small packages (MA+ medium wallet) and they still want approx. $65 to Europe. Add on a bunch of weight like a leather jacket or those RO boots and it's easily a couple of hundred dollars. I'm sure many Canadians abandon/turn down an overseas sale due to the high shipping costs.

I've looked into all the courier companies (DHL, Fedex etc.) to find cheaper ways to ship overseas but unless you have a corporate account, the cheapest way is still through Canada Post.

The only other way to get a tracked shipment is shipped by boat, which is anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks. Too many stories/complaints floating around on other forums about how or why it should take so long and now you get outside of the period of time to file a Paypal claim. From what I understand, they get loaded into large shipping containers and they don't leave until the container is full. The landing port may be no where near the actual city/country so now it goes by ground transport. The delivery times are guides not guarantees so they go through the normal queues unlike EMS or something similar.

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                  That's ridiculous. Utterly insane. For that amount, it better be delivered with armed guards and 100% inclusive of all taxes, duties, fees, etc.
                  I've had really fast canadian shipping to the states for a jacket that was around 5 days and the price was on the package itself for about $16 CDN.

(Roughly) $308 USD for shipping a jacket is highway robbery...if it's a retailer, they should be ashamed.
                  Last edited by sshum88; 06-01-2012, 04:15 AM.
                  Originally posted by eat me
                  If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• Raw
                    • Oct 2009

That is definately possible for shipments from Europe for high valued items as they tend to use couriers, DHL is actually even more expensive. I bought a pair of boots from Suus and the cheapest method of shipping from Spain to Australia was 130 euro.

Comment

• MoFiya
                      • Sep 2007

Not sure this is the appropriate thread to post.
                      However, I just bought a LUC sweater off eBay that was rated 8/10 condition, no flaws or defects noted. Received it today, the neck is totally loose and there is a huge hole in the arm.
                      Contacted the seller for a full refund. He replied very quick, apologizing and asking me to send back the sweater, he will then proceed with the refund.
                      Is this the usual way to deal with this? Sounds fishy to me, I'ld prefer to have my money first and then send him the sweater. What would you do in my situation?
                      TIA!
                      I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                      But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• treasurehoard
                        • Dec 2009

^ It is standard to return an item 1st before receiving a refund. If it is over $250 make sure you get signature confirmation on it as this is required for buyer protection. If the seller does not refund you can always file a dispute with eBay/PayPal and buyer protection will cover you. Buyer protection can vary slightly by country but since the item would already be returned to the seller if you need to file a dispute it shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

• MoFiya
                          • Sep 2007

Thanks for your advice!
                          But it would still be helpful, to file a paypal claim for the return, no? Just so I can be sure I get my money back.
                          But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• gavagai
                            • May 2010

"Contacted the seller for a full refund. He replied very quick, apologizing and asking me to send back the sweater, he will then proceed with the refund.
                            Is this the usual way to deal with this? Sounds fishy to me, I'd prefer to have my money first and then send him the sweater."

Have you ever purchased anything in your life and got your money back before returning the goods? This is a serious question.

If you are dealing with a seller with excellent feedback who is offering you the return filing a paypal claim is not needed. Just use delivery confirmation as noted above and you will be covered by paypal.

Comment

• MoFiya
                              • Sep 2007

^ I did not think of it this way because in my oppinion, things run a little different return items to a real store vs. an eBay seller.
                              However, I did not know that Paypal would cover me when just sending it back signed. Will do that.
                              But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• diorowen
                                • Aug 2010

I will raise a claim in that case. Just to notice paypal that you are returning the item back. Or keep the shipping notice, in case shit happened, it will save you :)
                                still trapped in my juvenile state

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎