Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • treasurehoard
    • Dec 2009

^ You should always pay with a credit card that has the ability to do a chargeback if necessary (not paypal balance or debit card). You can file a paypal dispute if the item is not received or significantly not as described. If you happen to lose the dispute you can then file with your credit card and do a merchandise chargeback as an extra line of protection.

Disputes/chargebacks can vary in the amount of time it takes to recover the funds. Depends on if the seller fights it, how long it takes paypal to review the case etc.

Comment

• kurruptz
      • Jan 2013

thanks alot, yeah, so far it seems pretty legit. Ive never done a none ebay paypal transaction when buying something so Ive been a bit skeptical.

Comment

• wurm
        • Nov 2010

someone from australia just bought something from me. i'm planning on shipping it today, but he told me to send it to an address different from the one he has linked to his paypal account. i don't really think he's lying, but wanted to get some other opinions. if he filed a claim would i lose?

Comment

• curiouscharles
          • Jan 2008

wurm, unfortunately yes.

in this situation, regardless of whether you ship with a tracking number & signature confirmation, you would lose this claim - as they require you to ship to the address on the transaction details.

simple solution is to refund payment, ask him to add the address to his account, and then make certain payment is made with the proper shipping address on the transaction details.

if he refuses this, he's being dodgy, as adding an address to an account is not difficult.

-

Comment

• wurm
            • Nov 2010

^^
            thanks. you very well might have helped me dodge a bullet. it seemed fishy to me and it's best not to take any chances. he claimed he couldn't get it to work but that seems doubtful so i refunded him. if he's legit i think he can do a proper transaction.

Comment

• destroymebaby
              • Aug 2012

My Paypal is fucked in the head. Customer service calls it a "security system bug", and sometimes I can't use it. But I get along by borrowing my mothers Paypal. When ordering something through her I always ask the seller to ship to another address, i.e. my address, not hers. Maybe that's the case of your buyer.

But since I've realized that it might seem fishy I've asked her to add my address to her account. So far it works just fine.

The trouble is receiving money and asking people to pay to another persons account.

Well, I guess I have to fix me another account instead of being a far to old mamas boy.
              The morning is not enough.

Comment

• wilbur
                • Nov 2011

Kurruptz: I recently purchased a RO jacket off of eBay and never received it. The seller assured me that he had shipped it and provided a fedex tracking number.

After three weeks and no sign of any package, I called fedex and they told me no package was en route to my house. I opened a case with ebay and won since the seller couldn't provide a tracking number saying something had arrived at my house.

I have read however, about people who ship packages filled with scrap metal/rocks and package them to make it look like a malevolent post office employee ripped off a passing package. I even saw a tutorial about it on how these fraudulent sellers would console their distressed buyers and end up getting off with no negative consequences.

If the spread of that link is a faux pas on my part, feel free to remove it mods.

My point is, I don't think one can ever be 100% covered from paypal fraud. Always ship to the account's address and with tracking... and hope that should a dispute ever come up, the employee reviewing your case is biased in your favor.

Comment

• treasurehoard
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by wilbur View Post

I have read however, about people who ship packages filled with scrap metal/rocks and package them to make it look like a malevolent post office employee ripped off a passing package. I even saw a tutorial about it on how these fraudulent sellers would console their distressed buyers and end up getting off with no negative consequences.
                  Info on that site is out of date at this point. On empty box claims like that it can be a toss up as to who eBay/PayPal sides, most likely it would be the buyer not the seller. Scamming sellers used to get away with that scam a lot more back in the old days of eBay but there is quite a bit more security in place to protect buyers. With sellers that are new, don't have a lot of feedback or have a lot of poor feedback they put the payments on hold for 21 days or until the buyer receives the item and leaves feedback. Also as long as the buyer pays with a credit card they can do a credit card charge back on top of an eBay/PayPal claim. Seller might win an empty box claim if they have a ton of feedback, an excellent track record and the buyer has a history of making claims - but in many cases they will lose regardless.

Comment

• diorowen
                    • Aug 2010

@wilbur,
                    once I'd got scammed before.
                    seller send the item to another person who might be his friend and live in the same city as I am.
                    so the tracking number show it has been delivered, and exactly same city as I lived. but the name of the recipient is different.
                    So basically I didnt receive anything, but the tracking showed it was received by other person.

contacted paypal about it, and I lose the case.
                    since I lose the case, seller never reply any of my message.
                    then I call paypal and talk honestly to the lady, she understand, and reverse the payment the day after.

:)

after the payment was reversed, seller keep messaging me.
                    now its time for me to ignore him

my personal experience with paypal is quite good. Online transaction of course has its own risk. we just need to be aware, and not to fall into fishy transaction.
                    if something smells bad, stop and walk away.
                    still trapped in my juvenile state

Comment

• ironman
                      • Apr 2008

so i finally used the new "Tracked Packet - International" service. came to $44.24 CAD total to Switzerland

dunno about in-person availability, can print it on Canada Post's website, but unfortunately not directly from PayPal (so no like $2-3 discount :()

it is half the width of the regular self-printed labels, in a portrait layout like UPS labels, and now includes the postage rate paid (before it would just say something about postage being prepaid)

will update this post after it's delivered to let people know if it went through smoothly

Comment

• curiouscharles
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ironman View Post
                        so i finally used the new "Tracked Packet - International" service. came to $44.24 CAD total to Switzerland

dunno about in-person availability, can print it on Canada Post's website, but unfortunately not directly from PayPal (so no like $2-3 discount :()

it is half the width of the regular self-printed labels, in a portrait layout like UPS labels, and now includes the postage rate paid (before it would just say something about postage being prepaid)

will update this post after it's delivered to let people know if it went through smoothly
                        I've been using this service since the day before it officially launched - and it's great.

Pricing is only about 15-20% higher than the previous un-tracked small packet air pricing. Uses the same form as before, tracking number is on the receipt, faster delivery window than small packet - and now you don't have to open myself up to risk every time someone outside of North America cannot afford DHL or XPRESSPOST.

Apparently Canada Post finally woke up to the need for tracking NOT because of their customers' need for a safe international shipping method, but because THEY were losing thousands of dollars on phony lost parcel claims.

ironman, if you want to save a few dollars on each transaction, have you signed up for VentureOne? They say it's a small business program, but you don't need a GST number to register, so anybody can go for it.

-

Comment

• ironman
                          • Apr 2008

that's good to know that it works well. i'm always pretty nervous to try out new things

no i don't have a VentureOne. i probably don't ship things quite as often as you, but thanks for the heads up :)

Comment

• wilbur
                            • Nov 2011

diorowen: I find that talking to a real person solves a lot of the problems with paypal.

I once had ~$500 USD frozen in my paypal account for "fraudulent activity" after I sold a program on eBay. I was told after 6 months, it would be released. I sent some emails to no avail, but since I didn't really use paypal as frequently as I do now, I figured I would just wait it out.

After 7 months, my account was still frozen, so I called up customer support and after about 2 hours of confusion, they realized the "fraudulent activity" on my account, was caused by the fact that my father and I both share the same name, so they had two different accounts with different banking info, credit cards, etc. under the same name.

Paypal can be really ambiguous, it is either a pleasant company to deal with, or a nightmare.

Comment

• curiouscharles
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ironman View Post
                              that's good to know that it works well. i'm always pretty nervous to try out new things

no i don't have a VentureOne. i probably don't ship things quite as often as you, but thanks for the heads up :)
                              I don't think they discriminate at all with VentureOne registrations - the savings are small enough that it's more of a "if you're un-lazy enough to fill out a form we'll save you 5% on all your shipments" program.

-

Comment

• Raw
                                • Oct 2009

I'm having a terrible experience with someone on sufu.
                                It can be seen here at the bottom:

He's filed a paypal claim saying the item is not as described because of the measurements. He seems to measure the denimhead way where they pull all the seams into certain positions and distort the pants. I just lay them naturally flat and taught.

Also he claims that they are in worse condition than listed because he was expecting them to be black (when they are not black pants) and I guess he doesn't know how washi fades.

I did my best to provide measurements and details, I've read that claiming items as not described always wins paypal disputes, is there any way I can win?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎