X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shdws
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloonz View Post
    shdws, as long as your Paypal account is in good standing you are covered. You also shouldn't pay as gift ever but there is still a way to get reimbursed if you get scammed.
    Thanks Cloonz!
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

Comment

• beyondthemeans
      • Sep 2008

I'm in the need of some advice:

Recently I bought a pair of shoes on ebay, but the seller asked me to just handle this through paypal. Would save him costs and me the import fees ebay seems to charge since this month. Seemed fair to me.

So I payed him. Took ages for him to ship until he refunded me. The package apparently came back to him, for no reason.
      We emailed back and forth and I send him the money again. He emailed me he would check with another postcompany but never heard from him again.

I've opened a paypal dispute this morning, but I'm just so fed up with this guy, I'd like to upgrade it. Can I just do that after 24 hours? Or should I wait at least two days or something. The seller didn't respond to any of my messages in the past eight days. Even gave him negative feedback on ebay as well.

Comment

• circles
        • Feb 2013

PayPal will automatically turn the dispute into a claim if the seller doesn't respond in what they deem an appropriate amount of time. Lucky for you they almost always side with the buyer, that or it will at least coax an explanation/tracking number out of the seller.

Comment

• pantanal
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by beyondthemeans View Post
          I'm in the need of some advice:

Recently I bought a pair of shoes on ebay, but the seller asked me to just handle this through paypal. Would save him costs and me the import fees ebay seems to charge since this month. Seemed fair to me.

So I payed him. Took ages for him to ship until he refunded me. The package apparently came back to him, for no reason.
          We emailed back and forth and I send him the money again. He emailed me he would check with another postcompany but never heard from him again.

I've opened a paypal dispute this morning, but I'm just so fed up with this guy, I'd like to upgrade it. Can I just do that after 24 hours? Or should I wait at least two days or something. The seller didn't respond to any of my messages in the past eight days. Even gave him negative feedback on ebay as well.

You are in luck.Paypal always always sides with the buyer so you will get taken care of

Comment

• naturalalmonds
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by beyondthemeans View Post
            If you paid by credit card through PayPal, double check with your credit card company about their own dispute policy. Whatever you end up doing with PayPal, make sure you have it wrapped up before the card's dispute window ends. If PayPal is taking too long to resolve the dispute, you want to make sure you have time to do that
            I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• beyondthemeans
              • Sep 2008

Thanks for the input guys. I've called them and got my money back the next morning.

Comment

• tofu
                • Nov 2007

is it true that if you file a charge back through your CC (assuming your paypal was funded via cc), paypal will freeze your account and send the debt collection agency after you for the difference?

if that is the case, falling back on the CC doesn't seem like a viable option if you value your credit score

if it is NOT the case, then what is to stop anyone from committing fraud once or twice a year? I'm not sure about other credit cards, but amex will generally issue a charge back with no questions asked if your account is in good standing.

damned if you do, damned if you don't?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Anyone having trouble sending payment to Hong Kong via PayPal?
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• schemedream
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    I didn't have any issues with using the service itself, but I did get a call (two actually) from PayPal and one from my bank asking if I was aware that there was fraudulent activity and whether or not I wanted to freeze my accounts.

Comment

• comedyzen
                      • May 2009

Hi, I did a search and perused this thread, but could not find the answer. I have been getting a lot of inquiries and offers from newer members with 0 posts. They don't trust me enough to send via GIFT (I don't blame them) and I am worried I might get Kuja'd. They say I am safe if I send them an invoice...but when I read through Paypal's Seller Protection, it mentioned something that business transactions are not covered. Does that mean invoice? Or does sending an invoice give me extra protection from a potentially fraudulent buyer?

Comment

• ian+
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post
                        Hi, I did a search and perused this thread, but could not find the answer. I have been getting a lot of inquiries and offers from newer members with 0 posts. They don't trust me enough to send via GIFT (I don't blame them) and I am worried I might get Kuja'd. They say I am safe if I send them an invoice...but when I read through Paypal's Seller Protection, it mentioned something that business transactions are not covered. Does that mean invoice? Or does sending an invoice give me extra protection from a potentially fraudulent buyer?
                        Nothing like that.
                        To my knowledge the seller protection is eligible only through ebay.
                        Sending an invoice or not is irrelevant, both ways you are being paid for providing a service or delivering goods so it does not matter.
                        ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• docintheory
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Not Hong Kong, but I tried to send a payment to Japan. I must've tried sending payment in YEN nearly 10 times, but I kept receiving "We're sorry, your payment cannot be sent right now" or something in that vein. The amount equated to only $30 USD (for a book).

I emailed and called Paypal. I was told that a new policy was put into effect called the "remittance transfer rule". This rule is apparently applied to transactions $15 USD and up, and blocks certain transactions from taking place internationally. It has to do with notifying on the seller end when "funds are made available" in their account, according Paypal they refuse to reveal that information and thus block such transactions where this rule is applied.

It's not very transparent to me as to what this entails, but I was given the run around for a $30 transaction, asked the seller to send invoices and other paypal accounts where I could send money to. These were recommendations made by Paypal (sent to via email, before I called them). When I called I was explained the rule in a not so clear fashion, but was assured that it had nothing to do with my account (for which I've had for 10 years and in 'good' standing).

Weirdly, I was able to send payment to this seller in December and was just putting through a balance payment now. I was told this rule was put into 'effect' in October 2013. What didn't make sense that if this rule was blocking my transaction, why didn't it apply to my earlier transaction with the exact same seller? This was never clarified to me.

I eventually was able to send payment in 3 separate transactions of $10 each. It was a big headache. Anyways, Faust - not sure if this exactly applies to your case, but I am just generalizing this in relation to troublesome transactions occurring in Asia.

Comment

• ironman
                            • Apr 2008

there is honestly no way for a seller to protect themselves

in the past, i guess i got lucky calling in to PayPal and logically speaking with a representative through the situation

but it seems that now their blanket policy (eBay or not) is that they will side with the buyer and refund them upon return of the item. their piss poor logic is that the seller receives the item back and has a chance to sell it again. when in fact they are doing this because if they side with the seller, the buyer can (and usually will) open a credit card chargeback

the buyer does not have to provide any proof whatsoever, and there is no rational thinking when it comes to their decision. it is near impossible to photograph every inch of a garment to prove that there is no single tiny speck of imperfection.

when i asked the person on the phone what happens when i get back the item and it is not in the condition i sent it in? they said it is up to me to provide, "third party unbiased documentation" that proves this. i told them it is ridiculous that you expect sellers to go to a store and say, "hey can you write me a letter saying that this 5 year old item is not in the condition i sent it in?" i was essentially told that we'll cross that bridge when we get there

so basically, any user can buy your $2k+ leathers, wear it for a month, and return it saying that they have not worn it for a month, and that there is a tiny scuff that was not mentioned. in my case they did not have to provide any proof whatsoever, but even if they did, there is no way for you to prove that it was not there originally

buyers can now essentially rent clothing from sellers for the simple cost of shipping

Comment

• comedyzen
                              • May 2009

^ Thanks, and unfortunately true.. Shit, now I wish you would DELETE your thread to not give any fresh Kuja's any ideas.

Comment

• ironman
                                • Apr 2008

well this problem is widespread beyond this forum. a quick google search shows many people buying various types of things getting scammed saying they received empty boxes or rocks (yes there are also asshole sellers like kuja who do actually send boxes)

there is no solution. google checkout is dead, and there is always the problem of credit card chargebacks. back in 2009 or something i had someone buy a $100 tank top and 2 months later initiate a credit card chargeback. some people are just scum

yahoo auctions' bank transfer protects the seller but the buyer is essentially screwed. the only way i can protect myself is cash meet up, bank transfer (very very few are willing), or interac e-transfer for canadian buyers. everything else can pretty much turn around and fuck you down the road at any given time

edit:

paypal likes to say that they check a buyer's record of claims but i highly doubt this matters anymore. like i said before, they fear the credit card chargeback hassle

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎