X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genevieveryoko
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    I am sorry, but to say that Margiela is the most powerful man in fashion is simply not true. His clout is far from the likes of Lagerfeld, Jacobs, Prada and Galliano.
    Karl is in charge, and Miu Miu cat prints are all the rage with the teens...that's fashion in a nutshell for you.

http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• laughed
      • Jul 2009

I think Faust you are right as far as who is the most powerful in fashion, but I do think that if people do catch on, who knows if they will, that sooner or later Lagerfeld, Galliano, Jacobs, etc. will be more of a, dare i say, Mossimo. lol!
      What I mean is it is pretty obvious that Margiela is catching on with people like the hip-hop artist crowds who once wore Gucci, Chanel, whatever. Basically, I think that famous people who are ignorant are getting some pretty good stylists, who are pushing the Margielas and Rick Owens. I think it's funny, and horrific, the picture of Marc Jacobs completely ruining the Rick Owens sneakers, looking prettyyy corny.
      I think people will catch up, and even Jay-Z or Lady Gaga or something stupid like that will make sure their terrible fan base wants the latest Margiela or Rick Owens. I remember seeing Tilda Swinton in Margiela and thought - Wow! I love her! and only a couple years later I turn on the MTV video awards seeing poor excuse for musicians wearing Margiela leather jackets. It stinks. So Lohan is running around with Karl Lagerfeld and before you know it Margiela will be caught doing coke off of her or something and be all the rage. Maybe not. Ehhhh, I wonder what Helmut is up to anyway.

Comment

• pierce
        Banned
        • Aug 2009

I don't think vogue or stars will be all that relevant in the coming decades. I think that we are seeing a fundamental shift in the control of mass media and who gets to put what in front of people. Before we had TV and magazines, but these won't be around for much longer.
        Facebook is probably the most valuable outlet at the moment, yet the big brands are lost as they can't use their marketing budget to take big chunks. Its all there for the taking and there are unique opportunities for those who can come up with innovative ways of doing business.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

We shall see in the coming years.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• pierce
            Banned
            • Aug 2009

Can't dispute that fact :)

Comment

• laughed
              • Jul 2009

yeah, as much as i hate to say it, i think the mass is getting smarter and catching on. Maybe not smarter but realllly trying to be different so they are at least trying to branch out a little more.
              i love my obscure designers, musicians and artists. hope in this day of internet and hipster nation, there will always be a loophole for the great underground stuff.

Comment

• pierce
                Banned
                • Aug 2009

Its inevitable, that a society and its people become more sophisticated.
                France is about as sophisticated as you get, you only have to walk around carefour super market and you will see the variety and niche foods available. I think America is fast becoming as sophisticated as Europe in their tastes, the great unwashed american masses finally give up on chasing the dollar and become, well, an old european post consumer society.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Pierce, are you sure we live in the same country? Even on the same planet? Where are you getting this, lol?
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• pierce
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2009

You I know what I mean! Not in next 5 years but long term. I think that information can now be spread regardless of geographic location. It even could be prior to the internet, but now it is accelerated greatly. Big business can't cope with this, which is why I think that the big brands of the past century are on the way out, making way for a more DIY punk culture. One example is Bionade in Germany. It now outsells Coke in Germany. Coke tried to bring out a similar indie drink, but everyone saw through it and it fell flat. They then tried to buy Bionade, but they refused to sell, strengthening further the brand as being indie.
                    So why do people choose Bionade over Coke? Because the information got out that Coke was made from corn syrup and was basically crap in a bottle made as cheap as possible. I think the information that "luxury" goods are over inflated crap has gotten out. But what is Renzo Rosso doing to the one big house left that was authentic? He jumps right in and starts making over inflated crap. ( won't even mention $200 dollar east pak bags ).

On America becoming a post consumer society, the unemployment rate amongst youth is the highest since records began in 1948, running at only 50% in a job. There isn't going to be a steady 9 to 5 for most of them and the money to consume. America was built on hard work post the depression but the current generation have a sense of entitlement to success, perpetuated by the media and advertising. But when it doesn't arrive and it won't, they will turn their backs on money as a measure of self worth and look to other things. Also they won't trust big business as it failed them. This is where authenticity and word of mouth comes into play.

If someone on here says that a certain shoe is high quality and talked to the designer in person then I will make the purchase and pay a premium for it as i trust that it will be good. Brands that can build this trust will prosper in the coming years. The marketing departments at the big brands know this and already are making moves to influence bloggers etc. Reckon though it will be a bit like when Coke tried to bring out a faux indie drink and it fell flat. We can see them coming a mile off :)
                    Last edited by pierce; 12-24-2009, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by JoniF
                      What? New York is only one-fiftieth of America.
                      And it is not sophisticated, just frantic. What people call sophistication is merely an accumulation of wealth coupled with a distinction through consumption rooted in the mentality of academic arts and aesthetics so maybe you guys shouldn't be too envious anyway. As someone pretty smart once said "everything becomes respectable if they last a long time, even old buildings and whores." (pretty sure it was Émile Ajar AKA Romain Gary).
                      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by pierce View Post
                        You I know what I mean! Not in next 5 years but long term. I think that information can now be spread regardless of geographic location. It even could be prior to the internet, but now it is accelerated greatly. Big business can't cope with this, which is why I think that the big brands of the past century are on the way out, making way for a more DIY punk culture. One example is Bionade in Germany. It now outsells Coke in Germany. Coke tried to bring out a similar indie drink, but everyone saw through it and it fell flat. They then tried to buy Bionade, but they refused to sell, strengthening further the brand as being indie.
                        So why do people choose Bionade over Coke? Because the information got out that Coke was made from corn syrup and was basically crap in a bottle made as cheap as possible. I think the information that "luxury" goods are over inflated crap has gotten out. But what is Renzo Rosso doing to the one big house left that was authentic? He jumps right in and starts making over inflated crap. ( won't even mention $200 dollar east pak bags ).

On America becoming a post consumer society, the unemployment rate amongst youth is the highest since records began in 1948, running at only 50% in a job. There isn't going to be a steady 9 to 5 for most of them and the money to consume. America was built on hard work post the depression but the current generation have a sense of entitlement to success, perpetuated by the media and advertising. But when it doesn't arrive and it won't, they will turn their backs on money as a measure of self worth and look to other things. Also they won't trust big business as it failed them. This is where authenticity and word of mouth comes into play.

If someone on here says that a certain shoe is high quality and talked to the designer in person then I will make the purchase and pay a premium for it as i trust that it will be good. Brands that can build this trust will prosper in the coming years. The marketing departments at the big brands know this and already are making moves to influence bloggers etc. Reckon though it will be a bit like when Coke tried to bring out a faux indie drink and it fell flat. We can see them coming a mile off :)
                        I do believe you buy into so many current narratives that we'd have problems seeing eye to eye. There are multiples long and short term trends going on at once and you are merely picking on the ones you like and presenting them as everything that goes on so that your worldview becomes truth.

Indie drink, lol!!
                        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

bump for new members

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cremaster
                            • Jan 2010

On a pure technical level ...
                            I remember recently reading a quote by Lagerfeld where he said he was the greatest fashion designer in the world as he had studied all the techniques dating back to the renaissance and has mastered them all.
                            No one can match him for technical knowledge or expertise.

Of course that doesn't include creativity but interesting (if not typical Lagerfeld) quote none the less.

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by cremaster View Post
                              On a pure technical level ...
                              I remember recently reading a quote by Lagerfeld where he said he was the greatest fashion designer in the world as he had studied all the techniques dating back to the renaissance and has mastered them all.
                              No one can match him for technical knowledge or expertise.

Of course that doesn't include creativity but interesting (if not typical Lagerfeld) quote none the less.
                              must as I like him, he isn't even in the top ten technically accomplished designers of his Era, let alone all time......
                              what he is a master of, is finding ways to remain relevant..........if nothing else you have to give him that
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• cremaster
                                • Jan 2010

He truly is a survivor.
                                Longevity and relevance - does that make greatness?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎