X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • new_dawn_fades
    • Mar 2024

TOKYO

ok so im gonna be spending a few days in tokyo on my way to italy. Can some sz brethrin recommend some cheap(i mean CHEAP) accomodation, places to go eat.. (ill be visiting lift etage) but any other stores/ areas to check out- where i might find bargains. Ill be there for 1 day on the 5th of september and from the 3rd till the 8th of december if any tky sz residents wanna meet up.

looking forward to hearing from you guys
    • Sep 2008

i'm a fan of staying at the Granbell hotel in Shibuya. It's really close to the trainstation and near the Cerulean Tower. Really central if you're going to Lift Etage. It's also affordable, clean, "boutiquey," but relatively small (normal for japan though).

http://www.granbellhotel.jp/index_e.html

Eating can be done cheaply too at the spots where you get your ticket out of a vending machine and hand it to the waiter, 7-11 isn't bad, etc.

I might be out there at that time but Tyler (Croatoan) just moved there so he should be able to help you out too.

Comment

• dontbecruel
      • Sep 2006

This place should still be ridiculously cheap and it's within walking distance of the shops in Harajuku/Aoyama. They used to have the prices on their website but don't seem to any more.
      Last time I stayed there it was 7000 yen for a "semi-double" room big enough for two smallish people (an unbelieveable price for Tokyo).
      Since they refurbed in about 2002 it's actually really comfortable too (used to be a bit of a hostel).
      The owners are lovely too: all my family members stayed there several times when I used to live in Japan and they were always charming and courteous.

Comment

• Bosozoku
        • Sep 2008

I wouldnt consider the Granbell Shibuya being CHEAP accomodation: I personally stayed there twice while in Tokyo. You'd better check out these WEEKLY MANSIONS in Ikebukuro and Asakusa which offer affordable accomodation.

For bargains you could check out KIND, SPACE (several outlets in Shibuya and Harajuku).

Food isn't generally expensive in Japan, just avoid districts like Roppongi. Would recommend the TONKATSU restaurants in the tower near Shibuya station

Comment

• dontbecruel
          • Sep 2006

If you want tonkatsu there us only one choice worth considering in Tokyo: Maisen. There are a couple of branches but the one in a converted bath house in Jingumae is beautiful. The best tonkatsu is in Kansai unfortunately (beef cutlets in particular).

Comment

• editevening
            • Nov 2008

i was in tokyo the past 3 weeks and had a good 5 days which my accomodations weren't comp'd so i might be able to help you out. I stayed here: http://www2.gol.com/users/ryokan-fukudaya/

Its cheap (around 60-90US a night depending on the room size/style), friendly, english speaking and an easy 10min walk to Shibuya station.

I also hit up most of the flagships/stores except Lift, so i kind of have stock and bigger size availability fresh in my mind, if you're wondering anything.
            #nevernotalmostshopping

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

I reviewed some stores here, though its over a year old but all should still be there: tokyo & kyoto shops

my Tokyo map on Google with most relevant shops listed. only stations/neighbourhoods are in english but then again street names don't exist in Japan. (I personally navigate by simply following my path on the map and with the help of landmarks)

as for accomodation, I'm a big fan of Tokyu Stay, its a chain of apartment hotels. their Aoyama and Shibuya locations are unbeatable, both are barely a few minutes away from the respective stations. small but comfortable, clean, convenient, and I think the cheapest rooms are like 8k yen.

I personally like Aoyama as its a pretty quiet and cozy neighborhood, less buzz than in most of the others, but good shopping (L'eclaireur, loveless, CDG+Dover Street...). the walk to Harajuku is reasonable and theres Omotesando Hills on the way, which houses the Ann Demeulemeester store and Edition (m.a+, berrini, schneider) and Addition Adelaide is behind the complex.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• philip nod
                • Aug 2007

there is nothing cheap in Tokyo
                One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• raddy
                  • Oct 2008

Super cheap kaitenzushi place near Ueno-eki:

Very generous portions too! (126 yen per plate ALL plates when I was there)
                  Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

Comment

• Bosozoku
                    • Sep 2008

UENO is rad in each and every way: the market ther is amazing where they have shitloads of product for offering. Great takoyaki and okonomiyaki (not as good as in Osaka, but will do) and food stalls which offer cheap, but delicious food

Originally posted by raddy View Post
                    Super cheap kaitenzushi place near Ueno-eki:

Very generous portions too! (126 yen per plate ALL plates when I was there)

Comment

• croatoan
                      • Jul 2007

For more cheap accommodation, I recommend Oak Hotel. http://www.oakhotel.co.jp/english/
                      It is kind of a hostel/business hotel thing. The private rooms are clean, quiet, and have free internet. 6000yen a night if you book online. As long as you can deal with the thirty minute train trip to shopping areas, I think it is a great option. It is about a ten minute walk from Ueno station and another fifteen minute walk to touristy things in Asakusa. I have stayed there four times in the past couple years (the longest stay being two weeks) and find it quite comfortable.

Also, since you are only going to be here for a couple days, it can be convenient to travel to/from the airport since the Keisei Skyliner goes to/leaves from Ueno.

Comment

• jcotteri
                        • Jun 2008

yo pnidz you can get cheap ramen/curry don in Japan :P

edit: Raddy beat me to it :/

hey T! what are you doing in Japan? Just out of curiousity?
                        WTB: This

Comment

• croatoan
                          • Jul 2007

This and that. Various loosely-decided/organized projects; both personal and work-related. I just finished up a summer intensive language study study and next month begins buying time.

Comment

• prednisone
                            • Nov 2007

for sushi, you should check out the tsukiji fish market in the morning at 5am-ish, then head over to one of the sushi bars in the market for some of the freshest sushi you'll find. there's a couple to choose from, i went to daiwa, loved it.

there's a famous ramen place in harajuku that's worth checking out.
                            FS: Julius FW05 leather fencing jacket sz 3

Comment

• jcotteri
                              • Jun 2008

I don't think you need to get there that early.. :)

famous ramen place in Harajuku? Hehe that narrows it down to 20,000 :P
                              WTB: This

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎