X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TriggerDiscipline
    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by beyondthemeans View Post
    Going to be in Tokyo with my better half, for 6 days at the end of next month and was looking into how to connect to the internet.

Has anyone of you used the DataSIM's? Not sure how far 200MB a day is going to take me.

Or do you guys recommend to order a PocketWifi instead? Seems to be a bit of a hassle to me to pick it up in the post office in the airport?
    You can get gig Sims, forget pocket WiFi it's 2017
    Originally posted by unwashed
    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
    Originally posted by Ahimsa
    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• beyondthemeans
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
      You can get gig Sims, forget pocket WiFi it's 2017
      Sorry to be a pain, but you mean the DataSims with that? The ones that have 3GB for 30 days ones?

Comment

• mamooon
        • Jun 2015

As i didn't want to change SIM-cards to then figure out that my iPhone 5S might struggle with the japanese standards and to avoid that meanwhile i don't receive calls/sms/whatsapp i asked a friend who lived there what she'd recommend and so i booked a purupuru pocket-wifi in advance i simply picked up at the airport and it worked like a charme. took the big data plan as i knew that i'd need especially google maps a lot as well as google (image) translate. Another friend of mine just came back from her trip and also her friend living there recommended a pocket wifi she was after all also very happy with.

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mamooon View Post
          As i didn't want to change SIM-cards to then figure out that my iPhone 5S might struggle with the japanese standards and to avoid that meanwhile i don't receive calls/sms/whatsapp i asked a friend who lived there what she'd recommend and so i booked a purupuru pocket-wifi in advance i simply picked up at the airport and it worked like a charme. took the big data plan as i knew that i'd need especially google maps a lot as well as google (image) translate. Another friend of mine just came back from her trip and also her friend living there recommended a pocket wifi she was after all also very happy with.
          We also used Pupuru during our time in Tokyo & Kyoto. Worked very nicely and since we were running two phones, it made more sense this way. Pretty inexpensive and pickup/dropoff was a breeze.
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• beyondthemeans
            • Sep 2008

Thanks guys, will order that PocketWifi instead!

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

My T-mobile free international data/text worked like a charm. I don't understand people who travel and don't switch to T-mobile. This is not a paid-for advertisement.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                My T-mobile free international data/text worked like a charm. I don't understand people who travel and don't switch to T-mobile. This is not a paid-for advertisement.

We have t-mobile and used the free international data, but it is so slow that having truly localized wifi capability made quick searches and other things much smoother :) Agreed though, for SOME level of connectivity, t-mobile has been absolutely great.
                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• MikeN
                  • Nov 2007

My AirBnB's always come with pocket wifi, but yes T-Mobile is sometimes faster. I bought like a 200MB wifi pass on the Shinkansen, and burned through it in about 7 minutes.

Comment

• mikemikemike
                    • Jun 2011

trigger, (and anyone else that has insight on this) is there anything worthwhile going on in tko currently exhibit or gallery wise? im there for the last week of the month.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by mikemikemike View Post
                      trigger, (and anyone else that has insight on this) is there anything worthwhile going on in tko currently exhibit or gallery wise? im there for the last week of the month.
                      Right now not much but you can check out Ginza six I suppose.
                      I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Marko
                        • Jul 2009

Going with my wife to Tokyo in about a month. Any reccomendationa on hotels, she would rather not do an Airbnb and it is her birthday so... She has her eyes on the Park Hyatt. It is very expensive, but is it a good location?

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                          • Apr 2013

So if you ask me, I have negative connotations with the Park Hyatt, because of the movie, but it is a good location. I personally do not think it's better than staying in a more centralized airbnb and perhaps away from shinjuku but it totally depends on what your objective for coming here is. New Otani and mandarin are way better if you ask me. But airbnb is way better than any hotel because you can be close to the action, but it really depends on what you want to do, and I doubt you'll be in the room all day so it feels like a waste to baller it up when you could be taking that money and maybe get reservations for ryugin or something nice, unless you're baller.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Marko View Post
                            Going with my wife to Tokyo in about a month. Any reccomendationa on hotels, she would rather not do an Airbnb and it is her birthday so... She has her eyes on the Park Hyatt. It is very expensive, but is it a good location?
                            When has there been a Park Hyatt in a bad location?
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tyhsien
                              • Sep 2014

Alternatively you can try Aman, its very new and everything from lobby to room is superb or maybe if you want something more traditional, Hoshinoya, but it can get really stressful when its so quiet, but amazing part of the floor you can actually feel the texture of the wood and their natural onsen.

Downside is both area is really quiet at night but they are near Ginza , so it was alright

Comment

• Marko
                                • Jul 2009

Thanks for the input, everyone. And in terms of location I just meant in terms of convenience of shopping, nightlife, etc. Never been to Tokyo. I was able to get the flight with points but not trying to spend and arm and a leg, especially since she loves fashion as much as I do so I know there will be plenty of shopping involved.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎