X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avantster
    ¤¤¤
    • Sep 2006

sweet. keep me posted if you find one! hitting n(n) too, i take it.
    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

yep. Che Suit is the #1 draft pick, pirate jacket on safety.
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by H-R View Post
        Hey guys, so I'm planning to be in Tokyo at the end of the year and am wondering if anyone knows which dates do typically CdG and YY store close for the new year? Do they only close on Jan 1, or for multiple days?
        Dunno about CdG but that is the worst time to hit up the YY store speaking from experience...since it doesn't go on sale, pretty much the store is left with the leftovers. I'd say October-November is the best time to go shopping for the JP labels since shipments arrive on a weekly roll-out basis and goods peak during those periods. usually any hot ticket items sell out immediately, and another downside is they often only carry one size of every item (this is typically a 3 for YY mens, so if you fall outside that then you may be out of luck).

also the Isetan buy for YY tends to carry the more unique pieces whereas the more basic and conservative pieces are found in the flagship. come to think of it, the idea of shopping for Yohji in Japan has almost always been better/more thrilling than the reality. the womens never disappoints though, much better if you are a lady in this department.
        www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• H-R
          • May 2007

Thanks FTB! Yea, I'm actually a 3 in Yohji, although some of the pants might fit very loosely on the waist. I think I'll just hit up Isetan when I'm there if the flagship is close or whatsoever...

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

no prob H-R...this season the sizing stock is more varied, thankfully.

i ended up picking the che suit (jacket i got a 4, pants a 3 - the pants are absolutely humongous - the waist is objectively something like a 50 although you can button it in several places to tighten it up), a mercerized cotton l/s double layer reversible two-tone henley and the low cut sneakers in black. there is tons of stock left and the store is woefully quiet. disappointingly there are hardly any options for button down shirts for this fall finale, the main style seems to be a white shirt with some kind of inverted tiny collar that the staff have styled with a basic black wool gab blazer + the skort. doesn't seem like a shirt that could really be worn any other way.

also discovered the seibu in shibuya has a YY stall that's bigger than the isetan one which seems to have been compressed to make way for an alexander mcqueen stall. can't believe i've been coming here for years and was never aware of this place.
            www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Avantster
              ¤¤¤
              • Sep 2006

Thanks for the rundown and congrats on the pickup. Is it really that quiet? Am a little surprised to hear there's plenty of stock available - though prices aren't exactly enticing of course. Did you see the grey silk coat?
              Wasn't aware of seibu shibuya either, must check it out.
              let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

nope, wasn't aware of a grey silk coat. the long black coats available were a bunch of thick wool overcoats that felt like bathrobes, and of course the black gab coat with the tiger print inside.

there wasn't anything that was wearable for all seasons - it is a strictly cold weather collection. A lot of thick cardigans, shawl collar, distressed, a lot of greys...similarly thick cardigans in speckled red or blue with white... the really thick knit cardigan from the runway that was a lovely piece and worth picking up if you are in a climate that gets really cold
                www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

hey wire, thanks. just posted a fit pic from the other day in waywt - was wearing my travel shoes though

which are the frankenstein high tops? Do you have a pic? There was a sneaker in regular low top leather/suede which is the one i got (39K yen), another low top sneaker with a slightly chunkier shape and some kind of patent leather trim on toebox (around 50K yen) and then the next step up in footwear was the army boot which was around 80K.
                  www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• comedyzen
                    • May 2009

Cheap Food and 2nd hand clothes.

For 2nd hand clothes, I had many good finds at the previously mentioned KIND and SPACE. 2 other places I got some goods were at RAGTAG (which is everywhere) and JUMBLE STORE. I was impressed with RT because I saw a lot of CCP and Carpe Diem....too bad not in my size. For cheap basics like undershirts and v-necks, I stocked up at MUJI. Very cool store.

The fish market is only good if you know which stall to hit. I have eaten some bad sushi there before. My secret find was in Ebisu, in the Yebisu Gardens there is a mall called Mitsukoshi. In the basement they sell very fresh sushi. 5 nice pieces of salmon was 450 yen. I would consider myself a sushi snob and this stuff passed the quality control test with flying colors.

Comment

• chameleon
                      • Jun 2008

If possible, if some of you have recommendations for places to stay temporarily, please let me know. Or if you can point me in directions where this information is abundant, that would be great too. Google only gives me so much (not enough) right now. Plan is to stay for half a year, so hotels are out of the question. Would like to avoid gaijin houses as well if at all possible, but I'm unfortunately on a very limited budget as well. Ideal would be Ebisu, but my hope is that at least some dirty corner in naka-meguro, meguro, (possibly all the way down in gotanda?), shirokane or somewhere in shibuya-ku can offer me something. Don't really mind a small private room in a shared 3DK or something similar, as long as the location is decent.

Comment

• comedyzen
                        • May 2009

Sale season in Tokyo?

I was in T0kyo from Oct. 17-Nov. 1. I noticed there were no major sales. The occasional sale rack here and there. What are the best weeks/months to go to Tokyo for sale season? Do the flagship stores (Julius, Attachment) ever have sales? Is there a Loehmans/TJ Max for high design in Tokyo that carries last season's styles? I am planning out my Tokyo 2010 visit.

Thanks

Comment

• DANSER
                          • Nov 2008

i was in tokyo last month ,... retail is going downhill!

recession!

Comment

• Trendy Andy
                            • Jun 2007

That's what I like to hear!

Can't wait to be there buying up a bunch of Julius, KKA, VA, individual Sentiment when I'm there.

Anyone know where I can pick up some Sistere in any of the Tokyo retailers?

Originally posted by DANSER View Post
                            i was in tokyo last month ,... retail is going downhill!

recession!

Comment

• Trendy Andy
                              • Jun 2007

Agreed, the Granbell hotel in Shibuya or in Akasaka are both in my top faves. Best bang for your buck. The hotel feels new/modern and so do the beddings. There's 25,000 eatery in NYC, and Tokyo has something close to that many as well.

Shopping at Space or Kind can feel overwhelming but it can also be rewarding. It almost seem superfluous to have retail shops when 2nd hand boutiques have abundance of quality goods at almost all of their locations. Most of the pieces appear to be brand new but are priced as used simply because someone has bought it and kept it in their closet for a few months.

All this talk has gotten me hyped up for Tokyo. The trip is near and I'm just too anxious.

"Tokyo is the Manhattan of the Far East."

Originally posted by 29.97 View Post
                              i'm a fan of staying at the Granbell hotel in Shibuya. It's really close to the trainstation and near the Cerulean Tower. Really central if you're going to Lift Etage. It's also affordable, clean, "boutiquey," but relatively small (normal for japan though).

http://www.granbellhotel.jp/index_e.html

Eating can be done cheaply too at the spots where you get your ticket out of a vending machine and hand it to the waiter, 7-11 isn't bad, etc.

I might be out there at that time but Tyler (Croatoan) just moved there so he should be able to help you out too.

Comment

• Bosozoku
                                • Sep 2008

Now writing from Tokyo: no sales on fashion, except for electronics at BIC Camera and SofMap....stores are indeed kinda empty, even the almighty Isetan seems to need a revival.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎