Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unwashed
    • Dec 2008

Do you get special deals on business/first class? If I check the prices, they seem ridiculous compared to economy.
    An upgrade equals a pair of RO boots or even a CCP jacket

Well, I guess I'm a pleb not suit for the upperclass lifestyle .
    Grailed link

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Funny, when I dream about what kind of rich I'd like to be, I always think rich enough to fly business class. Get me that, and I'm set. It's just so much, much more pleasant...

Yes, the prices are ridiculous. But, like I said above, I will use my air miles. I am guessing you are not a frequent flyer. As comotomo rightly notes, age does take its own - it's never been as apparent to me as it is with flying.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• unwashed
        • Dec 2008

Nah no frequent flyer, only for holidays.
        There was a small period of time I needed to go to Asia for work and also for holidays, but since I'm not a frequent flyer don't know about air miles

I'm now used flying economy for long flights. Have my own pillow, my mask, my own earphones, my media, eat some drink some fall asleep and wake up :P This however will not apply to all flights. Some have been terror with hours straight of screaming babies or children, smelly people, annoying loud people. That's life...

I only went to Tokyo once and are thinking every year since to return. Most likely I'll visit in 2018 again .
        Grailed link

Comment

• Tiranis
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          I am thinking to go to Japan in October. My strategy, with the miles I have is to book a business/first class flight to Japan (longer haul/jetlag on arrival) and economy on the way back (shorter, direct flight, and I don't care about the jetlag when I get home). I can fly ANA. Question is, will I totally die on the way back from Tokyo to New York or is it doable (I'm short)?
          FWIW, I've flown first class to Tokyo on air miles a few times and it's absolutely worth it. It's also a sizeable upgrade on business class, at least with AA. On that note, AA has one of the best first class cabins and services for their Tokyo flights. Not sure about ANA.

I think your idea of going back economy is also a good one. Did that once and it wasn't too bad. Modern entertainment systems go a long way towards making the experience more bearable.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Tiranis View Post
            FWIW, I've flown first class to Tokyo on air miles a few times and it's absolutely worth it. It's also a sizeable upgrade on business class, at least with AA. On that note, AA has one of the best first class cabins and services for their Tokyo flights. Not sure about ANA.

I think your idea of going back economy is also a good one. Did that once and it wasn't too bad. Modern entertainment systems go a long way towards making the experience more bearable.
            without sounding crazy I semi-agree with this but then again I only fly JAL, and stay the fuck away from American Airlines operated flights, and I go out of the way to make sure I fly on a 787 Dreamliner so... maybe im not the best person to ask (not that anyone did or anything)

booked flights to NYC for next month this way.

ANA and JAL is like coke and pepsi to some people though ( I don't drink soda though)
            Originally posted by unwashed
            Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
            Originally posted by Ahimsa
            I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Ulf
              • Apr 2014

I'm going to Tokyo at the end of September, and I'm flying business class (Lufthansa). I probably have to work, and it's just not possible to use a laptop in economy. I am also getting older and am willing to pay a premium for some extra comfort, so why not?

I did get one of those frequent flyer cards, so that I'll get something out of this and coming trips. However, I don't think I could ever justify flying business on short trips within Europe, unless it's a low-cost upgrade. It's just not that excruciating to spend a couple of hours in economy. I've travelled long distance in economy many times, and each trip has been an ordeal, which makes business worth it to me.

And considering the Japanese prices on YYPH, the savings pay for the ticket anyway.

Comment

• MikeN
                • Nov 2007

I just did NYC to Shanghai and back in First Class and I honestly think I'll never be able to do it in anything less than Business Class. I have enough Delta SkyMiles to do another Business Class roundtrip to Tokyo, which I'm thinking of doing around October as well.

Here's a WAYWT in my First Class sleeping pod

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Sweet! Let's go together. I'm thinking oct 8-17th.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkbydesign
                    • Sep 2010

^^Yeah, totally the way to go. For Business if you're on United, it's $5/600 + 25,000 Miles on top of your standard fare, but WELL, WELL worth it. You can sleep and on that flight, it's so worth it because then you don't have to spend half the week trying to get over the jetlag.

1st class pod is next level. Only done that once but definitely not on my dime.

Comment

• Comotomo
                      • Nov 2014

United business and first class are the worst I've taken, an absolut joke, if you have a choice please avoid. Asian and Arab airlines are the most luxurious imho. Haven't tried sky shower yet but definitely on my todo list

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Apparently things have changed and united global first is supposed to be pretty good.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkbydesign
                          • Sep 2010

^^United is great in first/business if you are used to American/USA based airlines. (and a lot of people have miles to use on United) To the point of the other post, certainly if you want to pay boatloads of money on international airlines from American origin, you do get complete baller service, but it's exactly what you should get if you are paying ~$10k++ for a ticket. LOL Those tickets can be massively expensive from my experience.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Ok, tickets booked!! I will be in Tokyo Oct 8 - 16. File all advice here (I'm going to check out lowrey's maps), and if any forum members want to meet up, I'd be more than happy to!

I haven't been so excited for a trip since my first ever trip to Europe. WOOT!

Also, looking at Airbnb. Is Shibuya basically the best area to stay in? I will be arriving at Narita airport and would like a convenient rail link.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
                              • Nov 2007

I'd highly recommend staying in Shibuya, it really is the center of everything. I stayed in a flat that was about the same size as mine in NYC, modern building elevator, etc... for the equivalent of maybe $65 per night, 8 minute walk from Shibuya station.

Comment

• jimmycs
                                • Mar 2014

Faust, anywhere in Tokyo is convenient with their extensive subways.

Shibuya is fine as others say but the locale is still much for the younger generations. Also, with roughly half a dozen lines or so and with the never ending constructions going on around the stations, it is quite "messy".

If you need any help, feel free to PM me. I work in Tokyo and live in Yokohama myself.

w/ smiles
                                Jimmy

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎