Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nicelynice
    • Oct 2009

Airbnb is generally pretty great in Tokyo, most people I know have ended up with fantastic places. If you're looking for something similar, however, without going the Airbnb route, at under $100 USD a night, Tokyu Stay Shibuya is my go-to recommendation:

Tokyu Stay Shibuya perfect for business or private users.

Rooms are simple, but very clean, modern, and come equipped with washer, dryer, and kitchenette. The rooms are also quite a bit bigger than other similarly priced hotels.

Let me know if you have any specific food recommendations, happy to oblige.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by nicelynice View Post
      Airbnb is generally pretty great in Tokyo, most people I know have ended up with fantastic places. If you're looking for something similar, however, without going the Airbnb route, at under $100 USD a night, Tokyu Stay Shibuya is my go-to recommendation:

Tokyu Stay Shibuya perfect for business or private users.

Rooms are simple, but very clean, modern, and come equipped with washer, dryer, and kitchenette. The rooms are also quite a bit bigger than other similarly priced hotels.

Let me know if you have any specific food recommendations, happy to oblige.
      Edit:Meant to reply to Jimmy

Not east Tokyo though,

Shibuya ikebukuro shinjuku is where he should be around for sure.
      Originally posted by unwashed
      Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
      Originally posted by Ahimsa
      I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Comotomo
        • Nov 2014

I think as long as you are on the Yamanote line it should be fine. But yes, generally stay in shibuya shinjuku area. Transport from those places is easy but jimmy said it can be a bit messy and confusing in and around the station itself. Btw I found the airport bus very convenient as it dropped me at the hotels doorstep. Also check out the portable wifi devices you can rent( you can prebook and collect at the airport or have them send to your hotel). If you have a lot of luggage or don't want to deal with it, there's also a porter service that can send it to your accommodation or vice versa from hotel to airport.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Thanks, all. Booked a beautiful apartment in Shibuya via Airbnb.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Tiranis
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Comotomo View Post
            Also check out the portable wifi devices you can rent( you can prebook and collect at the airport or have them send to your hotel). If you have a lot of luggage or don't want to deal with it, there's also a porter service that can send it to your accommodation or vice versa from hotel to airport.
            I strongly recommend this. Tokyo addresses are basically useless without a map so finding your way around can be a challenge.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Seems like all Airbnb apartments come with the pocket wifi now. Also I have T-Mobile - free data anywhere :-)
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jimmycs
                • Mar 2014

Faust, your first visit to Tokyo ? One way or another, you would have fun and not a moment that is dull. Enjoy.

w/ smiles
                Jimmy

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Yes, first time. Haven't been this excited for a trip since my first trip to Europe when I was 20.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Seems like all Airbnb apartments come with the pocket wifi now. Also I have T-Mobile - free data anywhere :-)
                    I had the same situation. Have great service with T-Mobile but tossed the AirBnB portable wifi in my bag each day anyway.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I was told that Oct 12 is a holiday in Japan. Can you advise if this would be a good time to go to Kyoto? Basically, are most attractions/museums open on this holiday?
                      And is one night in Kyoto enough? I am thinking it might not be.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ulf
                        • Apr 2014

I'm in Tokyo now, and the weather is really pleasant. I walk around in a shirt and drawstring trousers and wish I had brought some slippers with me. Oh well. Now I know until next year. The Yohji SAs are decked out in F/W (and look great!), but they stay inside with A/C, so seasons don't really matter to them.

I'm flying Lufthansa btw, and they are pushing their Oktoberfest theme hard. They served leberkäse and pretzels at the lounge on my way here, and there is practically nothing but sausages on the Western flight menu for October. I fly home on the 4th, so I guess that makes the Japanese menu an easy choice. As well as a tasty one.

Comment

• electricgecko
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          And is one night in Kyoto enough? I am thinking it might not be.
                          it's definitely easy to spend more time in Kyoto, especially once you start getting into temples and gardens. pretty much endless. if you have limited time, go for Ryōan-ji, it's breathtaking.

you can do a quick sweep of the city and have amazing food (obviously) in a day. i would go for two days at least, though.

oh, when in Tokyo, absolutely drop by at Daikanyama T-Site for an afternoon or evening. the lounge and their collection of vintage magazines is worth the trip alone.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Last day tomorrow. It's been a blast! What are some less busy and nice areas akin to Daikanyama that I can explore?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bukka
                              • Sep 2011

Nakameguro (you probably went already though)? Shimokitazawa?
                              Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Strolled in Nakameguro yesterday. Pretty!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎