Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • croatoan
    • Jul 2007

Kichijoji and Inokashira Park is always a nice way to spend a quiet afternoon.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Tokyo is my new favorite city. It was too good.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jimmycs
        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Tokyo is my new favorite city. It was too good.
        Faust, glad to hear you had fun.

w/ smiles
        Jimmy

Comment

• james
          • Jan 2009

I have to agree with Faust, I was just recently in Tokyo. Hoping to make it home away from home. JBS and omatasando koffee. Two places I highly recommend

Comment

• newp
            • Feb 2013

Can anyone recommend/introduce me to a good speakeasy bar in Tokyo? I mean the bar which doesn't have an online/map presence, usually located behind the kitchen of some kind of fastfood joint etc. I've been in Moscow, London, Paris so I would love to check one in Tokyo. Thanks in advance!

Comment

• porthidium
              • Aug 2013

Going to Tokyo for the first time next week (post Hong Kong business trip)

Trying NOT to buy clothes or shoes (testing myself)
              I am staying in Shibuya

Anyone have recommendations for:
              - techno/nightlife ?
              - cultural to-dos
              - best place to go for a run (anywhere from 3-10miles)
              - people watching
              - coffee
              - vegan / vegetarian places

Thank you~!
              @porthidium_

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by porthidium View Post
                Going to Tokyo for the first time next week (post Hong Kong business trip)

Trying NOT to buy clothes or shoes (testing myself)
                I am staying in Shibuya

Anyone have recommendations for:
                - techno/nightlife ?
                - cultural to-dos
                - best place to go for a run (anywhere from 3-10miles)
                - people watching
                - coffee
                - vegan / vegetarian places

Thank you~!
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• porthidium
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Hhahah, "trying" is the key word XP
                  @porthidium_

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by porthidium View Post
                    Hhahah, "trying" is the key word XP
                    Areas/People-Watching

Aoyama - obviously. The best shopping in Tokyo, CDG, Yohji, Sacai, Undercover, RO, Dries flagships, and much more.

Daikanyama - like West Village but with embassies. Tony, but not in an icky way. Also, arguably the best bookstore in Tokyo is there, T-site. Lift is there, and so is Julius.

Harajuku - for the kids.

Coffee

Omotesando Koffee in Aoyama - touristy and blown spot but still worth it - you must not only get the coffee but also the only desert they serve. And please bring me a box back - I will repay you and buy you coffee in Williamsburg

Saturday's Surf in Daikanyama - maybe sad but true.

Monkey Cafe in Daikanyama

Visvim flagship store in Aoyama - incredibly overpriced at $8 or so, but if you want the experience. Have it on their terrace while casual spitting across the street on the Opening Ceremony.

Running routes I don't know, but maybe you can run in the main parks, like Shinjuku Gyoen and Yoyogi? It's lovely.

I don't know about vegetarian food and nightlife either. But, the food hall at Isetan in Shinjuku is the eighth wonder of the world. Seriously.

Other helpful tips

Cash is still king in Japan. 7/11s have Western-friendly ATMs.

Either have T-Mobile or get pocket Wi-Fi (and a portable charger for your phone) - you WILL get lost without your phone's GPS, that's a guarantee.

You van buy a MetroCard equivalent and then get a refund on the way back.

Uber works in Tokyo. Kind of.

I would also bring back rare books and Japanese ceramics, but I don't know if you are into that.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkbydesign
                      • Sep 2010

^^Completely agree with all the advice that Faust gives. I just went to Tokyo about a month ago and go back next week to Kyoto (never been since I usually spend all my time at meetings in Tokyo), but Japan is amazing culturally.

Of the advice, definitely get your passport WiFi if on AT&T wireless and it works extremely well and isn't that expensive. It saves your ass. The first time I went without and got lost like every 30 minutes and I am usually good with directions. Also get Google Translate so that you can take photos and then decode when you need to "read" a menu (this assumes you aren't going with someone who can read and speak Japanese)

Daikanyama is by far my favorite place in Tokyo and it feels like you took West Village and mixed it with Noe Valley in San Francisco or something like that. Tons of great food, sunny, cool walks and you can buy Julius at the Julius flagship for like 50% of what you pay in the States. (and the service is amazing as the guys in the shop are so so nice)

Other than this, I'd suggest just hiking everywhere. The architecture and experience alone is always fun and there's way more to see than you'd ever expect. Also, use the black car cab drivers over Uber. The older men are so proud of their vehicle and who doesn't love the white doileys that use to cover the seats? :-) Feels so much better than an American cab. Also kinda weird to watch them use their GPS. If you look at all the details theirs is like 100 times more information on the screen. It's almost too much info....

On nightlife, if you like Berlin style minimal techno and big name DJs (but with an amazing Japanese vibe and that means "much better" than a nightclub here), I'd suggest WOMB. I go there about every other time I visit, particularly if jet lagged. They used to have a Cocoon residency which was amazing. I just checked and says Sven Vath played 02-27 so must still be going strong

東京・渋谷 道玄坂上のクラブ/ライブハウス「WOMB」オフィシャルサイト。スケジュール、DJ Mix、イベントフォト、レンタルスペースの情報を発信。

Then Richie Hawtin used to through a party ENTER there too. This is generally a wonderful video of Tokyo on top of advertising that:

A huge influence to all things Richie Hawtin, Tokyo captures the essence of the ENTER.Experience - an exciting and forward thinking place fueled by technolog...

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

KYOTO is incredible for all the different reasons than Tokyo. You will love it!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkbydesign
                          • Sep 2010

^^Awesome. I'm so looking forward to it though I fly out Tuesday, land Wednesday, give talks and then get Friday to explore. I am told that this year since the climate is all wonky, the cherry blossoms are out for this week, so hoping to see that. It'll be an experience as I didn't even know I was going until Friday night. :-0 I think the contrast will be amazing and probably fairly sobering relative to the every day NYC vibe.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Do the research on which temples to visit because you'll have to be selective in one day. My personal favorite was the one with 1001 Buddha statutes. Even thought it's touristy, the buddhists temples are still so calming. One of the best experiences of my life. Try to get an early start as the temples open very early.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
                              Also, use the black car cab drivers over Uber. The older men are so proud of their vehicle and who doesn't love the white doileys that use to cover the seats? :-)
                              When I ubered, I got the old man doily cars!

Comment

• bukka
                                • Sep 2011

I'll be in Tokyo this summer and I need to shorten the sleeves of an RO mollino in blistered lamb. TD,Nicelynice, anyone who can recommend me a good tailor? Thanks!
                                Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎