Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • t-bone
    • Dec 2009

Whoa, this says there are 2 in Tokyo, and it's owned by the same company as Ippudo:

The burnt miso ramen at the Kyoto branch was definitely one of my trip highlights as well last time.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Back in Tokyo Apr 14 - 20. What's going on?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

NOOOOOOOO

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dji
          • Feb 2008

go to yona yona and drown your sorrows in good beer and tasty spicy roast chicken?

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
            • Apr 2013

That place was terrible, go to about life or somewhere better, Mike spent some time at fuglen, or go to onibus
            Originally posted by unwashed
            Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
            Originally posted by Ahimsa
            I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
              That place was terrible, go to about life or somewhere better, Mike spent some time at fuglen, or go to onibus
              It was not. The coffee was totally fine and that one dessert they had was amazing.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                • Apr 2013

oh food idk about that.
                I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                  oh food idk about that.
                  I welcome all of your recommendations, by the way!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• t3hg0suazn
                    • Jan 2013

Faust, that article is old. Omotesando Koffee closed, but the same people reopened in the same location with a new shop Koffee Mameya. Different concept now: no dessert (sadly) and only pourovers (with Kalita Wave). But a huge selection of beans from both Japan and elsewhere with different flavor profiles and roasts. I liked the pourover I got.
                    But mainly the owner is just a cool dude.

Comment

• arc
                      • Mar 2011

Where can I find a good cobbler for sneakers in Tokyo? Thanks.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                        • Apr 2013

there is no where else, some might say unionworks but no thanks

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

A couple of spots I'd like to add.

Bar Martha - fantastic vinyl bar in Ebisu. 5 amps in a row, three of them McIntosh, powering a pair of custom-made floor to ceiling speakers. Will return.

The best coffee I had (not that I went out of my way) was, funnily enough, at the Mercedes-Benz showroom in Roppongi, around the corner from the Tokyo Art Center. It's called Downstairs, and apparently they won the 2014 barista competition in Portland. I didn't care for Koffee Mameya at all (sorry, Albert!). I will never understand the pour-over thing. Seems like a marketing gimmick to get people to pay more. It's just f-ing coffee, I make equal/better with my French press.

Also, you can scratch Blacows off your burger list. Extremely underwhelming. I had a really good burger the Burger Counter in the Midtown Tower, but it's not something I'd go out of my way for. The burnt ramen at the Tokyo branch of Gogyo was as good as the one in Kyoto.

If you are wondering why all these recommendations are in Roppongi, it's because all of this was in my back yard :-) Overall, I did not mind the area as much as I thought I would.

Lift continues to be the best store I have ever set foot in outside of the old Atelier. Everything from the buy to presentation to the decor is simply perfect.

Also, I did not buy a single piece of clothing on this trip. I think I need help.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            A couple of spots I'd like to add.

Bar Martha - fantastic vinyl bar in Ebisu. 5 amps in a row, three of them McIntosh, powering a pair of custom-made floor to ceiling speakers. Will return.

The best coffee I had (not that I went out of my way) was, funnily enough, at the Mercedes-Benz showroom in Roppongi, around the corner from the Tokyo Art Center. It's called Downstairs, and apparently they won the 2014 barista competition in Portland. I didn't care for Koffee Mameya at all (sorry, Albert!). I will never understand the pour-over thing. Seems like a marketing gimmick to get people to pay more. It's just f-ing coffee, I make equal/better with my French press.

Also, you can scratch Blacows off your burger list. Extremely underwhelming. I had a really good burger the Burger Counter in the Midtown Tower, but it's not something I'd go out of my way for. The burnt ramen at the Tokyo branch of Gogyo was as good as the one in Kyoto.

If you are wondering why all these recommendations are in Roppongi, it's because all of this was in my back yard :-) Overall, I did not mind the area as much as I thought I would.

Lift continues to be the best store I have ever set foot in outside of the old Atelier. Everything from the buy to presentation to the decor is simply perfect.

Also, I did not buy a single piece of clothing on this trip. I think I need help.
                            Haha no worries! I enjoyed Mameya, but I am sure (as you discovered) there are a TON of options out there.

The only "clothing" I bought on the trip actually was a pair of the Nippon Made line of Onitsuka's in all-black hi-top. Haven't been able to easily find that Nippon Made line elsewhere so why not. I would have left CDG with the two caramel button peak lapel boiled polyester blazer, but no one had the CDGH+ piece in medium. The pricing was awesome on it... around $600ish USD. Ended up finding one (with the extra long lining) online in my size for a bit over $700 delivered so I'll just cut and sew in the lining formally when it arrives.

Checked out a couple secondhand shops both big and small and did not find any deals (although lots of size 41 Cdiem boots for around $600 in great condition). Rick and BBS are not as plentiful as I would have expected.

I also really enjoyed Gogyo ramen. The wife said the tonkotsu from there was some of the best she has ever had. The burnt miso was really delicious but I would have been happy with a half bowl portion given how rich it was.

The things I regret not being able to do was experience Gen Yamamoto and gotten more serious with the yakitori. Did a couple late nights in Shibuya at cheap beer + yaki places which were certainly enjoyable, but it would have been fascinating to go to a place that took it super seriously.

Damn... I'm ready to go back!!
                            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I had a fantastic yakitori meal outside of Tokyo's center with some locals, and of course I wouldn't know the name...

I almost bought a pair of Japanese denim Onitsukas for my daughter, but she's all about Converse now, so I got her a pair of they just released in Japan.

Bought a key-chain at Yohji. Does that count?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                                • Sep 2008

Going to be in Tokyo with my better half, for 6 days at the end of next month and was looking into how to connect to the internet.

Has anyone of you used the DataSIM's? Not sure how far 200MB a day is going to take me.

Or do you guys recommend to order a PocketWifi instead? Seems to be a bit of a hassle to me to pick it up in the post office in the airport?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎