X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swych
    • May 2008

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
    Chateauneuf-du-pape 2007 - Antique oak, preserved cherries and berries, refined and rounded from start to finish- wineberry cotton balls.... great. Dark and Mysterious.
    May I just ask, which chatneuf did you have? I've tried some of the lesser cuvees of 2007 vintage and the tannins have been deliciously aromatic, unlike any of the other chatneufs i've tried, where the berry really kicks in at the start, and ends with peppery earth. i just thought the 2007s weren't ready yet (this time last year) so i'm ready to give it a pop again

getting into NZ pinot noirs recently, anyone got anymore recommendations? i have a bottle of the Felton Road eaglewood suggested but i'm looking for something under $40 ideally. the NZ pinots i've tried are more as fruity as the american pinots, but with amp and power to linger a satisfactory length of time...

Comment

• swych
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Good thinking. I definitely don't mind seeing wine recommendations here.
      so my wine education began with french regions- burgundies mainly so my taste buds kinda lean that way. i like a more subtle fruit generally and find the big fruits in new world wines overpowering (generally speaking), and prefer a bit of earth/ leather finishes old world style. with this disclaimer in mind, here are my best < or around $40 bottles

Domaine le Sang des Cailloux, (cuvee doucinelle) Vacqueyras 2005- Southern Rhone, around Chateauneuf du Pape region. Grenache blend. decanted around 2 hours before it reached its prime. for the price, its an exemplary specimen of what a french grenache can be- big robust berries in the beginning, with a little bit of spice and leather to finish. still fairly young, but the kick is kinda nice right now.

Chateau La Vielle Cure, Fronsac 2000- Bordeaux wine, Cab blend with heavy Merlot, typical of the right bank style. fantastic with a steak.

Domaine de la Chesnay 2007, Cotes du Rhone- best $15 wine i've had. sweet tannin typical (and unique to, in my experience) of the 2007 vintage. buy it, air it, drink it.

"Leah" Pinot Noir 2007, Marlborough NZ- tried a carafe in a restaurant in London, got home and bought a bottle from Union Square Wines NYC. the bottle that revingorated my interest in New World pinot noirs. description in post above^

As for whites, in that price range, William Fevre also makes consistently good Chablis, and, for a bit more $$ Louis Latour great Corton Charlemagnes.

ps will trade wine for CCP

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

That store on U.Square is pretty good. Decent prices, I don't know how they do it.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• viv1984viv
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by swych View Post
          May I just ask, which chatneuf did you have? I've tried some of the lesser cuvees of 2007 vintage and the tannins have been deliciously aromatic, unlike any of the other chatneufs i've tried, where the berry really kicks in at the start, and ends with peppery earth. i just thought the 2007s weren't ready yet (this time last year) so i'm ready to give it a pop again

getting into NZ pinot noirs recently, anyone got anymore recommendations? i have a bottle of the Felton Road eaglewood suggested but i'm looking for something under $40 ideally. the NZ pinots i've tried are more as fruity as the american pinots, but with amp and power to linger a satisfactory length of time...

I had this one, I kept one for myself so may try and keep it another year or two..... I thought my friends tasted very very nice...

Ill have to check out swych's recommendations.

Has anyone tried Berry Bros and Rudd's own Clarets???
          Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
            • Jan 2007

Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand (pretty much any brand) is always a safe bet when it comes to cheap but very drinkable wine. Wine critics seem to think it's passé, but at £6-8 per bottle I can hardly complain.
            Originally posted by jogu
            i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• swych
              • May 2008

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
              I had this one, I kept one for myself so may try and keep it another year or two..... I thought my friends tasted very very nice...
              smart. i need to that for every bottle i buy. in fact i find that leaving it open overnight (in the bottle) helps alot for the younger cheaper wines to predict its nature (there is no basis to this claim... just my own assumption)

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              That store on U.Square is pretty good. Decent prices, I don't know how they do it.
              the best thing are those wine dispensing machines! thats exactly whats required at a central hub like union square. awesome way to kill time.

i don't know if you're all familiar with this guy gary vaynerchuk- he's sorta kicking up a storm in the US right now, sorta like a poor man's Parker for the younger generation. anyway, I thought this episode was fairly fun to watch, especially the 2nd half after he switches tables:

Comment

• viv1984viv
                • Feb 2008

Had another nice evening with a good friend this weekend. Only 2 bottles to comment on.

Minervois - A bit of a beast, I cant remember the particular one we had but it was muscular, animal, herby... sage dirt and hedgerow berries, tobacco and oak.... Feel it would be great with a rustic rump steak...

With the meal I had Valpolicella Classico Superiore - such a silky smooth heady blend of deep deep cherries and plum... just gorgeous. This is one ill definitely be on the look out for from now on. A very rich chocolaty dessert would go splendidly with it. It went well with my Lamb even though I found it sweeter compared to a lot of high% reds i've been tasting lately.

I have also acquired another Puisseguin-St-Emillion. Its been put away.

Comment

• swych
                  • May 2008

how do you choose what to buy?

Comment

• viv1984viv
                    • Feb 2008

Errr - don't know really. I just look at the bottles and pick the ones with cool labels ( ! ) In general I stick to what I know or regions I know, sometimes I just take a blind gamble. Don't really do new world. Just stick to France and Italy.

Feel free to post some links to some wine racks! Im on the look out for one.

Comment

• swych
                      • May 2008

can't help you there, but for accessories www.wineenthusiast.com has a pretty good selection. its the only place i've seen a decanter dryer (holds it upside down for drying) for example.

but speaking of accessories, i could use wine glass bag. riedel makes one but i dont really want to cough up that price...

if anyone buys by the case and has too much of one wine i'm more than willing to trade. have some didier dagueneau Silex (sauvignon blanc) i could let go of

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Best deal in wine I've found in a few years.

Not from K&L specifically, but that wine. It is to die for.
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Can someone recommend a pinot noir under $20? i would appreciate it.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• een
                            • Sep 2006

Faust:
                            I rather like the Campion, either Edna Valley or Carneros - should be right around $20. Elegant for the price.

theetruscan:
                            Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try when I get back to LA, don't think they have it at Systembolaget.

Comment

• viv1984viv
                              • Feb 2008

faust this was recommended by Jane McQuilty in the times best wines guide a while ago.

Tonight im enjoying a pretty decent M&S Corbieres -

For christmas..... thinking im going to invest in Amarone della Valpolicella....

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

thanks, guys.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎