X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XenoX101
    • Dec 2008

Similarities

I've been lurking for a while now and this is something that's been on my mind since ever.

I'm honestly curious as to why everyone looks relatively similar in WAYWT on this forum, particularly because there's so much talk of clothing philosophy and emphasis on 'being yourself' and not conforming to a trend or scene, there's no other forum that theoretically pushes individuality more, and yet paradoxially there's no other forum with as small a diversity in WAYWT. I'm not attacking anyone, or saying there is anything wrong with having a niche, simply curious as to why it is how it is.
  • galia
    • Jun 2009

birds of a feather flock together ?

Comment

• Johnny
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by XenoX101 View Post
      I've been lurking for a while now and this is something that's been on my mind since ever.

I'm honestly curious as to why everyone looks relatively similar in WAYWT on this forum, particularly because there's so much talk of clothing philosophy and emphasis on 'being yourself' and not conforming to a trend or scene, there's no other forum that theoretically pushes individuality more, and yet paradoxially there's no other forum with as small a diversity in WAYWT. I'm not attacking anyone, or saying there is anything wrong with having a niche, simply curious as to why it is how it is.

Are you from BrisBANe? Isn’t this little BANal as a topic of conversation? We should just aBANdon it now. Maybe tell us a bit about yourself first, get a bit of BANter going – what BANds you like, do you have BANdy legs, whether you can play the BANjo, do you have BANgers and mash for dinner sometimes, who do you BANk with, are you a husBANd, are there BANisters in your house, ever worn a hairBANd or indeed a wristBANd for that matter?

Yeah?

Comment

• XenoX101
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
        Are you from BrisBANe? Isn’t this little BANal as a topic of conversation? We should just aBANdon it now. Maybe tell us a bit about yourself first, get a bit of BANter going – what BANds you like, do you have BANdy legs, whether you can play the BANjo, do you have BANgers and mash for dinner sometimes, who do you BANk with, are you a husBANd, are there BANisters in your house, ever worn a hairBANd or indeed a wristBANd for that matter?

Yeah?
        Well, if that is the way people who challenge things in a civilized manner are dealt with on this forum, you may have answered my question.

Comment

• the breaks
          • Sep 2007

Just tuck in your pant legs and you'll be fine.
          Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
            • Mar 2009

jonnhy i like bangers and mash!

To be fair Xenox does have a point to some extent.
            I would not say that everyone has a similar look per se.
            There are many on here who have very varying looks from what may been seen on the waywt thread.
            Namely merz,mumma,who?,fuuma,heirloom,p nod,christian,mike lowery and even the ever evolving snafu,to name a few.

But there are many people who dress in a similar vein. I personally think it could be from musical interests/subcultures from youth.
            I presume many had been or still are into the skate/rock and the style is just an evolution of that.
            Especially when it comes to dick sneakers ls tees and what have you.

If you look a little deeper than the obvious things which you may have seen,people here do appreciate the construction,fabric and ideas behind the garments they wear.
            It is not all lame basics and high tops.

I would possible suggest spending a bit more time going through said thread and seeing what i mean,and surely you shall see that there is quite a lot of variation and individuality in peoples outfits.
            merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Alesha
              • Apr 2009

I think this is one great example of things not so great on the forum.

1) For the starter: Why bother starting such topic in first place as one of your own post. This forum is used mostly to get ideas of new collection and hearing about new designers. WAYWT is used by part of forum members to tease their own egos from time to time.
              2) For the offended: Why so defensive and in such dull manner. Clearly the attempt to insult intelligence of another human being, is a way to insult your own.
              3) Save the drama of actually arguing first two points.

The answer to question is simple -> designers loved in the forum offer very similar looks (for outsider) with subtle differences (for someone who is interested in them) which might not be immediately obvious.

There is an odd break through every now and than, that is incredibly curious and interesting.
              Originally posted by interest1
              I'm pulling you off my friends list if you don't put down the vodka.

Comment

• Johnny
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Alesha View Post
                I think this is one great example of things not so great on the forum.

1) For the starter: Why bother starting such topic in first place as one of your own post. This forum is used mostly to get ideas of new collection and hearing about new designers. WAYWT is used by part of forum members to tease their own egos from time to time.
                2) For the offended: Why so defensive and in such dull manner. Clearly the attempt to insult intelligence of another human being, is a way to insult your own.
                3) Save the drama of actually arguing first two points.

The answer to question is simple -> designers loved in the forum offer very similar looks (for outsider) with subtle differences (for someone who is interested in them) which might not be immediately obvious.

There is an odd break through every now and than, that is incredibly curious and interesting.
                are you talking about me?!

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                  • Mar 2009

let it be johnny, he has a birds name...
                  merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

We've had these discussion many times before, so if you have really read this forum for a while, you'd come across one.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Peasant
                      • Jul 2009

Are you interested in these designers/clothes? If so, I'm sure you see the extensive differences in them and their work. If not, you're probably wasting your time here.

Comment

• morsto
                        • Nov 2008

On a related note, it's also interesting how you come across similarly - as an idiot - on every fashion forum I've seen you on. Your escapade on sufu ranks up there with Kodiak on the most embarrassingly moronic posters I've ever seen.
                        I do not recognise the vessel,
                        but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• XenoX101
                          • Dec 2008

^ Ah, I was waiting for one of these posts, yes I am 'infamous' in that regard, though there is too much to say on that matter and no real way to summarize - ultimately though that isn't relevant to this topic.

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
                          Are you interested in these designers/clothes? If so, I'm sure you see the extensive differences in them and their work. If not, you're probably wasting your time here.

I see huge differences in the designers, but not in the way they are worn here, moreso on runway and in editorials (I understand that it doesn't always translate to 'real life' and take this into account). There seems to be a lot of 'safe' outfits that may not be safe by conventional standards, but are certainly so by SZ. The ubiquituous mainstream outfit of a designer leather jacket, tshirt, jeans and boots of mainstream fashion is just as present here, only in SZ style. Trends cannot be avoided and they are not bad in many ways, but considering the forum's stern stance on being against them, one would think there would be more diversity than is seen in the WAYWT.

Comment

• Alesha
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                            are you talking about me?!
                            Not anyone in particular. Just anticipating where this is going to land up. If I wanted to single out someone particular I'd name him. SHYE POSER is getting close to that point though not yet.
                            Originally posted by interest1
                            I'm pulling you off my friends list if you don't put down the vodka.

Comment

• Johnny
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Alesha View Post
                              SHYE POSER is getting close to that point though not yet.
                              Hmmm.....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎