Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mail-Moth
    • Mar 2009

Maybe some things deserve to be taken very seriously when you really want to get them. Otherwise some of the greatest interprets of the last century would just have been a bunch of ridiculous guys.

Sometimes "good" is simply not enough ; sometimes you're chasing something more than enjoyment or intellectual/cultural interest. You're looking for a longlife conversation with a work of art deep enough to allow it. I am perfectly aware of how old-fashioned this may sound, but I doubt people lucky enough to experiment this are lacking anything at the end of the day.
    I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
    I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Peasant
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by XenoX101 View Post
      so I think a more apt example would be on posing this question on a music (all genres) forum where everyone is discussing jazz, a parallel to the point I am making.
      However there are hundreds, if not thousands of Jazz music forums out there. Why don't you get on one of those and question the users why they don't listen to Hip-Hop instead.

Comment

• BSR
        • Aug 2008

I would certainly not agree with Babar on the so-called superiority of diversity over local ability, and on the Tom Ford example (yes it can "look good" from a purely proportions point of view, if there is such a thing, but maybe if you're into Carpe you don't want to look like a beautiful douchebag). But but but... he has Blaise Pascal on his side:

"Puisqu'on ne peut être universel en sachant tout ce qui peut se savoir sur tout, il faut savoir (un) peu de tout. Car il est plus beau de savoir quelque chose de tout que de tout savoir d'une chose.

Cette universalité est la plus belle. Si on pouvait avoir les deux, encore mieux, mais s'il faut choisir, il faut choisir celle-là, et le monde le sent et le fait, car le monde est un bon juge souvent."

I would nevertheless follow Mail-Moth on his anti-pascalian road.
        pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
        Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Babar View Post
          If the Tom Ford suit looks good you, is of high quality (which it is) and is within your reach (which it should be if you love the Cdiem philosophy) then yes you *should* be able to wear it.

I doubt a Cdiem lover could wear a Gucci logo belt, or D&G hoodie, but I'm not sure why not a Tom Ford suit of all things? Buying a RTW suit can be seen as the great litmus test of wether or not one's a label whore or not; sometimes you have to go with a different brand than you'd like to get a decent look.
          I believe, from Faust's point of view, the philosophies underlying Cdiem and Tom Ford designs are so contradictory that the lover of one would never consider buying the other, regardless of the particular qualities of the garment itself.

If you are only interested in how something fits and looks--i.e., in the garment itself, as a physical entity--the contradiction can be seen as irrelevant. It all depends on the register in which you choose to engage with your clothes.

Great posts in this thread.

***I strongly agree with Mail-Moth about taking such important things seriously... I really think the reason we keep having this conversation is that we haven't gotten it yet. And there's nothing like repeatedly explaining yourself for refining your own ideas. No doubt you've noticed this in your teaching, Faust.
          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Oh, Laika, you are so sly But, thank you for making the point for me - I could not have put it better myself, and I am truly tired of saying the same thing over and over (I repeat myself in a classroom once a calendar year - I increasingly find repeating myself on SZ much more often).
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by JoniF
              I whole-heartedly agree. Good is such a vacuous compliment, it wouldn't even be a compliment if weren't for its positive connotation.
              "Nice" is the one that always gets me. "Oh, that's nice."
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• the breaks
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                on the Tom Ford example (yes it can "look good" from a purely proportions point of view, if there is such a thing, but maybe if you're into Carpe you don't want to look like a beautiful douchebag)
                Here you're basically saying anyone who wears a nice suit looks like a douche bag. This thread is too much.
                Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• XenoX101
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Babar View Post
                  Well, I guess I feel if you take your music too seriously and stick to one type all your life you're definitely missing out. In fact it's been long since I've heard such a ridiculous notion, and most good artists I know listen to tons of different styles and draw inspiration from them.
                  Yes, and likewise well dressed people come in all sorts of flavours, I can't understand why there isn't more for example Dries Van Noten, Lanvin, Alexander McQueen, Jil Sander or Number Nine (spring 2007) around here, it seems when there is its only the pieces that are relevant to the standard SZ aesthetic.

The music example is a good one, because I'm sure many of you listen to a wide variety of artists with many different ideas, concepts, sounds, styles and reasons behind them, I'm also sure that this affects your lives to some degree and your mindsets, so then surely it would also affect what you wear/your style, somehow though, it doesn't seem like it.

Originally posted by laika View Post
                  I believe, from Faust's point of view, the philosophies underlying Cdiem and Tom Ford designs are so contradictory that the lover of one would never consider buying the other, regardless of the particular qualities of the garment itself.
                  This is true, realism aside if Juicy Couture made the most incredible leather jacket worthy of comparison to RO or CCP, I sincerely doubt anyone here would be swayed to buying one because of the cache of Juicy Couture and what it stands for (e.g: brainwashing kids into buying velour tracksuits).

Something of note though is that you mention a potential lover of Cdiem and a potential lover of Tom Ford (no pun intended). How many Tom Ford lovers (no pun intended) are on this forum? How many people here love and own/wear pieces from designers outside of the circle of socially accepted designers here? I think you can see where I'm coming from.

Comment

• BSR
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by the breaks View Post
                    Here you're basically saying anyone who wears a nice suit looks like a douche bag. This thread is too much.
                    Sorry, I'm not. A TF suit has some typical features. It is not an anonymous "nice suit".
                    pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                    Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• pipcleo
                      • Jan 2007

Last edited by pipcleo; 09-01-2010, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• XenoX101
                        • Dec 2008

It's easy to make blanket statements of disagreement without having to validate or justify your sentiments against any specific argument. I'd appreciate some explanation/specificity of how 'every utterance' of mine isn't relevant, from my understanding the philosophy of fashion is very relevant to SZ.

Comment

• the breaks
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                          Sorry, I'm not. A TF suit has some typical features. It is not an anonymous "nice suit".
                          Humour me and take me through all the douche bag features in them. Maybe with some example images.
                          Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by XenoX101 View Post
                            It's easy to make blanket statements of disagreement without having to validate or justify your sentiments against any specific argument. I'd appreciate some explanation/specificity of how 'every utterance' of mine isn't relevant, from my understanding the philosophy of fashion is very relevant to SZ.
                            The point is that you pointedly refuse to understand SZ. We don't have to prove anything to you.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by the breaks View Post
                              Humour me and take me through all the douche bag features in them. Maybe with some example images.
                              Are you fucking retarded or a troll? Help me make up my mind. Here, I'll humor you, 1) Read this 2) Fuck off.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• XenoX101
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                The point is that you pointedly refuse to understand SZ. We don't have to prove anything to you.
                                Believe me, I have a great appreciation for many of the designers discussed here and I think some of the WAYWT posters here are of a kind you don't see very often. All I was curious about was why for the most part it is only a handful of designers that are discussed and worn, less so than other forums, I'm not refusing to understand SZ, on the contrary, trying to understand why this is the case. Once again, I respect the designers that are talked about here, but as a side note I respect many more designers which aren't talked about or are but aren't seen (e.g: Dries Van Noten). Of course, you can do as you please, you don't have to justify the choices you make, but this is a forum and I'd like to think people are happy to discuss such things.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎