Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ProfMonnitoff
    • Jan 2007

uh guys don't let xenox's use of long words/sentences fool you into thinking his babble has any coherence whatsoever to it
    Originally posted by jogu
    i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by XenoX101 View Post
      Believe me, I have a great appreciation for many of the designers discussed here and I think some of the WAYWT posters here are of a kind you don't see very often. All I was curious about was why for the most part it is only a handful of designers that are discussed and worn, less so than other forums, I'm not refusing to understand SZ, on the contrary, trying to understand why this is the case. Once again, I respect the designers that are talked about here, but as a side note I respect many more designers which aren't talked about or are but aren't seen (e.g: Dries Van Noten). Of course, you can do as you please, you don't have to justify the choices you make, but this is a forum and I'd like to think people are happy to discuss such things.
      1. Mail-Moth offered a very good argument for why this might be the case--have you read his posts in this thread?

2. Dries is discussed here--have you looked at the many threads devoted to his collections in the D&C part of the forum? And Faust, Zam, and myself all own (and presumably wear) pieces from him.

You need to show that you've done your homework if you expect people to take the time to engage your posts.... so far your "questions" just point to a lack of close observation.
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• the breaks
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Are you fucking retarded or a troll? Help me make up my mind. Here, I'll humor you, 1) Read this 2) Fuck off.
        Is that honestly what it was about? The guy is a douche so everyone who wears his stuff one too?
        Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• the breaks
          • Sep 2007

Oh and that question (just like the earlier one) is to BSR.
          Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Believe me, I have a great appreciation for many of the designers discussed here and I think some of the WAYWT posters here are of a kind you don't see very often. All I was curious about was why for the most part it is only a handful of designers that are discussed and worn, less so than other forums, I'm not refusing to understand SZ, on the contrary, trying to understand why this is the case. Once again, I respect the designers that are talked about here, but as a side note I respect many more designers which aren't talked about or are but aren't seen (e.g: Dries Van Noten). Of course, you can do as you please, you don't have to justify the choices you make, but this is a forum and I'd like to think people are happy to discuss such things.
            I like Dries too. I like McQueen, Chalayan, Margiela, Junya Watanabe, and many more that are not routinely discussed here, but sometimes are discussed nonetheless. Feel free to contribute to discussions on these designers - if you search, there are many threads on them - prove that you know and you like their work, and maybe people will here will take you seriously.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mail-Moth
              • Mar 2009

Well, I guess XenoX101's answer will be that, even if those designers are sometimes discussed here, Julius, Rick Owens and Ann D are constantly, and are well represented in the WAYWT when Dries van Noten, just to name one, is not.

And that's true.

But I don't see any difficulties in figuring that, even if people around are able to recognize great qualities in some designer's work, it doesn't appeal much to most of them - not dark enough, not keen enough on fabrics, not audacious enough on structural patterns - ; thus they do not buy, they do not wear ; thus they do not feel like saying much about it.

What's to understand in that ? The great difference between fashion and music is accessibility to the medium. Let's say the satisfactory medium for music is recording ; what is the equivalent for fashion ? You can't be satisfied only with pictures or runway videos. You have to experiment the garment yourself. That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to own it - even if, in the end, this is what the clothes are meant for : owning and wearing - ; but at least you'd have to go to défilés, to showrooms, to shops... Not anybody can do that.

You see, you can love any music you want from the deepness of your armchair, and be satisfied like this ; I doubt you can use the same with fashion, because it is highly frustrating to hold a garment only in pictures. Therefore, one tends to stick to what echoes the most to what one sees as his personality, and probably, in the same time, to what one perceives as quite accessible and familiar, thanks to his frequentation of a community like this one. Composing an outfit needs time and money : unless you are rich enough to give in wild experimentation, you'll put your efforts in finding something that fits you in all senses. No wonder then your interest mostly goes to things you're likely to add to your wardrobe rather than to what may look like distant curiosities.

(Damnit, why don't you people speak french, like anybody else !)
              I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
              I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• BSR
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by the breaks View Post
                Oh and that question (just like the earlier one) is to BSR.
                Ok:
                1/ douchiness features are showy materials and patterns (you know, silk everywhere, gaudy prince-of-wales and so on), hyperbolic structure of shoulders (almost pagoda-like), wide peak lapels even on single breasted jackets. Isn't it enough?
                2/ no, I did not say that. But as others have already said (Laika, Faust, MM...), when you buy your RTW suit at the cost of bespoke Savile Row or almost, you'd better buy the philosophy that is sold with your suit. And that philosophy is...guess what?
                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

Maybe with some example images.
                  I am not very familiar with TF suits, so I had to do some research but, here is a picture for reference.

I'll stay out of the douchey or not argument, but I will say, BP looks like a completely different person here than in the other pics that have surfaced on this forum. And I think this perceived aesthetic inconsistency is troubling to many people here.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

MM, very well said, thank you.

Comment

• the breaks
                      • Sep 2007

You can do it the wrong way and you can do it the right way. You can buy the shiny silk double-breasted, power-shouldered, gold-buttoned suit and slick your hair back with axle grease. You don't have to though, regardless of whose suit you're wearing. Looking like a douche bag is not down to the designer of the clothing but the wearer. I'm sure lowrey could wear head-to-toe Andrew MacKenzie and still look good.
                      Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

You can do it the wrong way and you can do it the right way. You can buy the shiny silk double-breasted, power-shouldered, gold-buttoned suit and slick your hair back with axle grease. You don't have to though, regardless of whose suit you're wearing. Looking like a douche bag is not down to the designer of the clothing but the wearer. I'm sure lowrey could wear head-to-toe Andrew MacKenzie and still look good.
                        why would he (or anyone) bother, though? isn't this point rather academic?

And isn't it perfectly understandable how someone could look "good," wearing something, but feel like a douche? Isn't that relevant to you at all?

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

Don't have any heavy beef with Tom Ford but can't deny he makes pretty 'fuck you' looking clothing. Not as overt as Billionaire Couture but it's in the same league.
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

Yes, and likewise well dressed people come in all sorts of flavours, I can't understand why there isn't more for example Dries Van Noten, Lanvin, Alexander McQueen, Jil Sander or Number Nine (spring 2007) around here, it seems when there is its only the pieces that are relevant to the standard SZ aesthetic.

The music example is a good one, because I'm sure many of you listen to a wide variety of artists with many different ideas, concepts, sounds, styles and reasons behind them, I'm also sure that this affects your lives to some degree and your mindsets, so then surely it would also affect what you wear/your style, somehow though, it doesn't seem like it.

This is true, realism aside if Juicy Couture made the most incredible leather jacket worthy of comparison to RO or CCP, I sincerely doubt anyone here would be swayed to buying one because of the cache of Juicy Couture and what it stands for (e.g: brainwashing kids into buying velour tracksuits).

Something of note though is that you mention a potential lover of Cdiem and a potential lover of Tom Ford (no pun intended). How many Tom Ford lovers (no pun intended) are on this forum? How many people here love and own/wear pieces from designers outside of the circle of socially accepted designers here? I think you can see where I'm coming from.
                            I made a thread on what people really had in their closets and you couldn't be more wrong;

1) Lanvin is quite popular here.
                            2) Lots of people have Prada or whatever in their closet.
                            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• the breaks
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by laika View Post
                              And isn't it perfectly understandable how someone could look "good," wearing something, but feel like a douche? Isn't that relevant to you at all?
                              Yeah I can see the reasoning. The original post I commented on said "look like a beatiful douche bag" and I think BSR meant that quite literally. "Look beautiful but feel like a douche bag" would make sense.
                              Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• XenoX101
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                                I made a thread on what people really had in their closets and you couldn't be more wrong;

1) Lanvin is quite popular here.
                                2) Lots of people have Prada or whatever in their closet.
                                Having something in your closet doesn't mean it shows up in WAYWT, I'm just going by what I see in WAYWT and to be honest I think it's almost irrelevant what people have in their closets, I know I have plenty of clothes that have never seen the light of day. It's the equivalent of having a plethora of books in your bookcase which you have never read and never will read (or might skim and never fully indulge in).

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                                Well, I guess XenoX101's answer will be that, even if those designers are sometimes discussed here, Julius, Rick Owens and Ann D are constantly, and are well represented in the WAYWT when Dries van Noten, just to name one, is not.

And that's true.

But I don't see any difficulties in figuring that, even if people around are able to recognize great qualities in some designer's work, it doesn't appeal much to most of them - not dark enough, not keen enough on fabrics, not audacious enough on structural patterns - ; thus they do not buy, they do not wear ; thus they do not feel like saying much about it.

What's to understand in that ? The great difference between fashion and music is accessibility to the medium. Let's say the satisfactory medium for music is recording ; what is the equivalent for fashion ? You can't be satisfied only with pictures or runway videos. You have to experiment the garment yourself. That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to own it - even if, in the end, this is what the clothes are meant for : owning and wearing - ; but at least you'd have to go to défilés, to showrooms, to shops... Not anybody can do that.

You see, you can love any music you want from the deepness of your armchair, and be satisfied like this ; I doubt you can use the same with fashion, because it is highly frustrating to hold a garment only in pictures. Therefore, one tends to stick to what echoes the most to what one sees as his personality, and probably, in the same time, to what one perceives as quite accessible and familiar, thanks to his frequentation of a community like this one. Composing an outfit needs time and money : unless you are rich enough to give in wild experimentation, you'll put your efforts in finding something that fits you in all senses. No wonder then your interest mostly goes to things you're likely to add to your wardrobe rather than to what may look like distant curiosities.

(Damnit, why don't you people speak french, like anybody else !)
                                True, there is more commitment involved with clothes, I can understand the accessibility and comfort factor too, it is much easier to buy a CCP piece in this community than it is to buy a Jil Sander one. But at the same time there are many places online as well as stores which sell the less talked about brands, even if it means you can't buy used for cheap.

Originally posted by laika View Post
                                2. Dries is discussed here--have you looked at the many threads devoted to his collections in the D&C part of the forum? And Faust, Zam, and myself all own (and presumably wear) pieces from him.
                                Certainly discussed, I mentioned this. But as for being worn, not so much, I haven't really seen any dries-esque (floral, pattern, a shimmer of luxury/extravagance) dries pieces worn in WAYWT. Some examples would be great though.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎