Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cabl3
    • Dec 2008

I used to be much more into anime myself...as of late I think I just lost the groove...but I still have my favorites:

Trigun
    Cowboy Bebop
    Elfen Lied
    Lain
    Texhnolyze
    Ghost in the Shell
    Afro Samurai
    GTO
    Evangelion

and my all time favorite of all animes:
    Fooly Cooly

Movies:
    Cowboy Bebop
    Princes Mononoke
    Akira
    Spirited Away

I always thought Big-O was pretty cool and dark in an unconventional way...it got overlooked a bit I think. Funny thing, I keep hearing mixed things about Samurai Champloo, some people swear by it and others hate it...I may just watch it for myself soon to end the suspense.

A friend of mine just lent me Initial D recently...wonder if it'll be any good.

Also has anyone seen Blame! ? I saw the first few episodes (pilots) and was utterly confused by it, yet loved the animation/style of it...very reminiscent of H.R. Giger.
    "If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
    - Wilde

Comment

• thejjbb
      • Apr 2008

Samurai Champloo is fun to watch, but definitely nowhere near as good as Cowboy Bebop.

And how could I forget GTO?!? That is a hilarious, incredibly fun series.

And FLCL is unspeakably awesome. Bizarre, but awesome.

Comment

• raddy
        • Oct 2008

Even if you didn't much like Champloo as a series, you had to at least love the episode with the beatboxing samurai, come on. =p

A few recent favorites:

Baccano! - A very chaotic, confusing, supernatural heist mashup that very much channels Pulp Fiction.

Last Exile - Very popular a few years back. Space opera from Gonzo, which should probably be a turnoff, but it's fun, emotional, and despite being slow, is haunting and beautiful.

Azumanga - Slice of life, school girl sillyness but with very three dimensional characters and full of, well, general awesomeness.

Read or Die (OVA) - Comic book hero vs bad guys with very high production values, and was inevitably followed by an enjoyable but very poorly paced/plotted tv series. The OVA is very very fun.

Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo - Saw all the other Madhouse films listed but this one, which is a bit surprising, as this is by far my favorite. It's a high concept fantasy/romance that is far less psychological or cerebral than most everything else Madhouse has done (Paprike hello), but is very emotionally powerful.

Makoto Shinkai - All of his stuff is worth watching. Voices from a Distant Star and Five Centimeters per Second stand out.

Rahxephon - Undoubtedly very derivative of Eva, but much more interesting characters and a more cohesive narrative. It doesn't hit as hard as eva but it's equally cathartic and has characters for which empathy is far easier. It's also based on my favorite short story. ^^
        Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

Comment

• lotek01
          • Aug 2009

A few less common ones:

Count of Monte Cristo - Sort of a neo-steampunk version of the eponymous classic tale, with costumes by Anna Sui. Kinda trippy visuals.

Kino's Journey - A kid and a motorcycle travel through weird towns with their own strange ideologies and culture that reflect the nature of humanity. A lot of cool "what if" scenarios like how would a close community react if everyone was telepathic. Really cool chillout series.

Haibane Renmei - Another strange and haunting philosphical (in a non-preachy, forced way) series with great music and visuals.

Cromartie High School - Awesome shit. Just watch it. Indescribable.

Last Exile - Very popular a few years back. Space opera from Gonzo, which should probably be a turnoff, but it's fun, emotional, and despite being slow, is haunting and beautiful.

Azumanga - Slice of life, school girl sillyness but with very three dimensional characters and full of, well, general awesomeness.
          I've re-watched these two series sooooo many times. The most of any others for sure.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by lotek01 View Post
            Kino's Journey - A kid and a motorcycle travel through weird towns with their own strange ideologies and culture that reflect the nature of humanity. A lot of cool "what if" scenarios like how would a close community react if everyone was telepathic. Really cool chillout series.

Haibane Renmei - Another strange and haunting philosphical (in a non-preachy, forced way) series with great music and visuals.
            I really liked those two. With Mushishi , Dennou Coil, Monster and Mononoke, those are the best anime i've seen this far. And I have seen an awful lot.
            I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
            I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• tomatous
              Banned
              • Jan 2009

This thread has brought back some great memories. Some favs off the top of my head..

Movies:
              Ghost in the Shell
              Akira (Has anyone seen Neo Tokyo? Was near impossible to find when orion put out the first dubbed vhs of Akira)
              Ninja Scroll
              Vampire Hunter D (style inspiration anyone?)
              Fist of the North Star
              Macross Plus
              Perfect Blue
              Cowboy Bebop
              Neon Genesis Evangelion 1.0 (I'm very excited for 2.0)
              Anything by studio ghibli

OAV:
              Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X)
              FLCL
              Giant Robo
              3x3 eyes

Series:
              Death Note
              Neon Genesis Evangelion
              Cowboy Bebop
              Berserk (The manga, is ongoing, and great.)
              Trigun
              Ghost in the Shell Stand alone complex

Comment

• mamaboy
                • Mar 2008

ghost in the shell stand alone---opening song is in russian ...and its so weird and sweet
                but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• cabl3
                  • Dec 2008

A late reply to the comment but, yes I rarely ever watch anime in dubbed english, and I have to agree the Cowboy Bebop is one of the few that is better dubbed.

Cant say much about Hellsing...I dont know how but I've managed to not see that series yet...the new one is sick though...saw the first ova.

Originally posted by tomatous View Post
                  This thread has brought back some great memories. Some favs off the top of my head..
                  yes how could I forget perfect blue and ninja scroll?! yes!
                  "If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
                  - Wilde

Comment

• CommieRabbit
                    • Oct 2007

I generally can't stand anime, but I enjoyed the hell out of Aachi & Ssipak, a Korean film. Simultaneously the most perverted and best action movie (of any genre) I've ever seen.

Peep dis:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• lotek01
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Mail-Moth
                      I really liked those two. With Mushishi , Dennou Coil, Monster and Mononoke, those are the best anime i've seen this far. And I have seen an awful lot.
                      YEESSS. Never thought I'd enjoy a 75 episode psychological thriller so much. Totally addictive considering I usually can't be bothered with the genre.

Originally posted by CommieRabbit
                      I generally can't stand anime, but I enjoyed the hell out of Aachi & Ssipak, a Korean film. Simultaneously the most perverted and best action movie (of any genre) I've ever seen.
                      Aachi & Ssipak is MAD. You should check out the Studio 4°C productions, like Mind Game and Tekkon Kinkreet. Art style is kinda similar to Aachi & Ssipak. Both are movies (ie not series) and have incredible art direction.

Comment

• munch
                        • Aug 2008

that's cool. I got a little bit of Paprika vibes from those trailers.
                        have to see them. not really a big fan of those filler-filled animes like naruto etc.. or.. not a fan at all. but I did enjoy elfen lied, full metal alchemist and death note.

Comment

• kofi3159
                          • Feb 2009

Well, here is my preference:
                          Ninja Scroll(Best ninja anime ever)
                          Death Note
                          Shiguiru
                          Naruto
                          Bleach
                          Blade of the immortal(the manga is much better )
                          Claymore
                          Devil may cry
                          and
                          Cowboy bebop
                          Mushishi is actually very good

Comment

• swych
                            • May 2008

there's a nice list of classics, my 2 cents for series. i'm a big nut for drawing, so the linework and aesthetics of these are among my favourites:

Deathnote

Bakuman (same author as deathnote, about becoming a manga artist. nice look at how the industry works)

Vagabond (about Musashi the swordsman. beautiful ink drawings for fluid fight scenes, probably my favourite manga artist right now)

Gantz (CG galore, also nice plot twists- the author is not hesitant about killing off main characters...)

Worst (humorous book about high school gang culture in Tokyo, and one man's dream to unite his school. lot of fist fights, really fun drawings and interesting characters)

Air Gear (sci fi far out manga about next gen inline skates. beautifully detailed drawings though teh plot is a bit shit)

Claymore

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Initial D

Naruto

Rurouni Kenshin

Les Gouttes de Dieu (about wine, also a good introductory to wine culture)

and i can't miss out things that shaped my childhood. Dragonball, Doraemon, Ranma.

Comment

• munch
                              • Aug 2008

watched Aachi & Ssipak a while ago, and also tekkon kinkreet.

Aachi & Ssipak was really entertaining, a perverted weird actionmovie with good graphics (the character design and the environment)
                              quite a fun twist to a drug and cops movie.

Tekkon Kinkreet was.. quite entertaining, too. not a very original plot but it had some great scenes that were really nice to look at.
                              but I can't really come to think of why it was in the childrens movies department of the store...

anyway, I would recommend both, going to watch mind game tomorrow. and then have a look at haibane renmei. some nice recommendations here that weren't boring (bleach, naruto, one piece kind of stuff... no offence ;))

Comment

• MidnightBlue
                                • Sep 2009

Unless I've missed it I actually cannot believe there has been no mention for Castle of Cagliostro.

This Film is a joy to behold. A classic adventure story which has influenced countless Hollywood directors over the years. Hayao Miyazaki's greatest in my humble opinion.

Last edited by MidnightBlue; 10-13-2009, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎