• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott.m
    • Mar 2009

anime!

as suggested by joni.f

lets get some suggestions, lists of your favorites, discussion of the fashion sense involved with it. i think this could be a good thread!
  • scott.m
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by JoniF
    I'm just listing a few that I'm familiar with:

Afro Samurai
    Berserk
    Bleach
    Death Note
    Hellsing
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Naruto
    One Piece
    Pokemon
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Samurai Champloo
    Shamo
    Trinity Blood
    Ultimate!! Hentai Kamen
    Vagabond

And for future reference, I use anime as a blanket term that encompasses manga.
    as do i jonif!

i'm a big fan of bleach and naruto, deathnote was amazing, what exactly is this melancholy anime, it sounds pretty good!

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

Not much of an anime person anymore, but I've got to comment:

Trinity blood is a complete ripoff of Trigun meant to leverage the new vampire craze in anime. The problem is it's complete shit, whereas trigun is one of the greats.

Hellsing Ultimate is fantastic, as is full metal alchemist.

Really though, it starts and ends with Totoro.
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• thejjbb
        • Apr 2008

In my opinion, Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experts Lain and Death Note are all very great series. Trigun is also a very good time.

Shonen manga/anime are typically really trashy but often very enjoyable (unless you're reading/watching American versions, then shame on you).

Anything Miyazaki is absolutely incredible, especially Mononoke and Spirited Away. His movies should be seen by everyone, even people who claim they detest anime.

Though less known, I'm pretty fond of Satoshi Kon's stuff. I really enjoyed Millennium Actress (a very beautiful movie), as well as Paprika. Perfect Blue is craaazy. Don't remember Tokyo Godfathers or Paranoia Agent enough to comment.

Comment

• scott.m
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by thejjbb View Post
          In my opinion, Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experts Lain and Death Note are all very great series. Trigun is also a very good time.

Shonen manga/anime are typically really trashy but often very enjoyable (unless you're reading/watching American versions, then shame on you).

Anything Miyazaki is absolutely incredible, especially Mononoke and Spirited Away. His movies should be seen by everyone, even people who claim they detest anime.

Though less known, I'm pretty fond of Satoshi Kon's stuff. I really enjoyed Millennium Actress (a very beautiful movie), as well as Paprika. Perfect Blue is craaazy. Don't remember Tokyo Godfathers or Paranoia Agent enough to comment.
          paranoia agent was a masterpiece, thats probably my favorite anime of all time. though it is extremely bizarre and is sort of an acquired taste. though i will agree that Miyazaki is a genius, Ghibli can do no wrong in my book. bebop is good, i'm actually just about to start re-watching it now

Comment

• dji
            • Feb 2008

used to watch a bit of anime when I was younger, can't really get into it much anymore. I recommend:
            - cowboy bebop (one of my favourite TV shows of all time, regardless of genre. champloo was disappointing...)
            - evangelion
            - ghost in the shell: stand alone complex 1st and 2nd gig (closer to the lighter tone of the original mangas, didn't really like the movies that much)
            - hellsing and hellsing ultimate (this and bebop are one of the few instances where the dub is superior to the original japanese track)
            - any of the studio ghibli films directed by hayao miyazaki

still watch bleach out of habit too, fucking filler...

Comment

• editevening
              • Nov 2008

i gave up on bleach some time ago. i think filler started and i got busy, forgot about it and i now have no idea how many episodes its been... probably 50 ago.

gits its still my fav series of all time and i do love the movies. I just finished all of death note which wasn't that bad, but other than that, not much has peaked my interest recently.
              #nevernotalmostshopping

Comment

• scott.m
                • Mar 2009

D, i'm the same way with all this filler, so boring but my god has naruto been amazing lately. i personally love the idea of GITS i just can never sit through it, i get so bored every time i attempt. in GITS: innocence i fell asleep 5 times. i found deathnote to be one of the best animes in years to come out.

Comment

• dji
                  • Feb 2008

yeah I didn't particularly enjoy the gits movies, although the setting and art was amazing. definitely give the TV show a shot though, it's a bit less serious and paced a lot better.

Comment

• scott.m
                    • Mar 2009

yeah i enjoyed what episodes i saw of the tv show, the one where the guy skins his victims in the shape of a tee shirt was awesome, the whole show is good, i just never find myself wanting to watch it:\

Comment

• Aleks
                      • Feb 2009

Has anybody else seen Paprika, definitely one of my favourite animes, along with Death Note and the Miyazaki movies.

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by thejjbb View Post
                        Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experts Lain
                        How did I forget those two? I'll check out Death Note too.

The Ninja Scroll movie is another classic.
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Oh weh mir
                          • Oct 2008

I'll admit I'm not much of an anime fan but I've always had a soft spot for katsuhiro otomo, his attention to detail is staggering. In akira alone you see a lot of what was on runways this season.
                          Originally posted by AVALANCHE
                          is this an example of how not to wear ccp?

Comment

• maldoror
                            • Jun 2007

baccano! is one of the greatest stories, in any medium, that I've ever had the pleasure of getting lost in.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                              • Nov 2008

Akira is the shit, the manga and the movie. The movie's soundtrack is to die for, I listen to that on its own sometimes.

Ghost in the Shell I appreciate for its aesthetics, mostly, and the interesting plot lines.. Oh, and the outfits, heh heh.. Hm.

Miyazaki movies are the most immersive films I've ever seen, in truth. The first time I watched Castle in the Sky, I just watched again instead of watching the other movie I rented, it was that good.

I kind of liked Trigun, but it's so precocious at some points I can't even bother.

Cowboy Bebop, now there's a great series. Very cool ad creatively carried out.

On the topic of mangas, how about Enki Bilal, or is there already a graphic novels and comics thread?

Actually, I'm looking forward to seeing Miyazaki's Ponyo tonight ,I think..
                              Originally posted by philip nod
                              somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎