Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: anime!

This thread has brought back some great memories. Some favs off the top of my head..

Movies:
    Ghost in the Shell
    Akira (Has anyone seen Neo Tokyo? Was near impossible to find when orion put out the first dubbed vhs of Akira)
    Ninja Scroll
    Vampire Hunter D (style inspiration anyone?)
    Fist of the North Star
    Macross Plus
    Perfect Blue
    Cowboy Bebop
    Neon Genesis Evangelion 1.0 (I'm very excited for 2.0)
    Anything by studio ghibli

OAV:
    Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X)
    FLCL
    Giant Robo
    3x3 eyes

Series:
    Death Note
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Cowboy Bebop
    Berserk (The manga, is ongoing, and great.)
    Trigun
    Ghost in the Shell Stand alone complex

ghost in the shell stand alone---opening song is in russian ...and its so weird and sweet
    but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

A late reply to the comment but, yes I rarely ever watch anime in dubbed english, and I have to agree the Cowboy Bebop is one of the few that is better dubbed.

Cant say much about Hellsing...I dont know how but I've managed to not see that series yet...the new one is sick though...saw the first ova.

Quote Originally Posted by tomatous View Post
    This thread has brought back some great memories. Some favs off the top of my head..
    yes how could I forget perfect blue and ninja scroll?! yes!
    "If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
    - Wilde

I generally can't stand anime, but I enjoyed the hell out of Aachi & Ssipak, a Korean film. Simultaneously the most perverted and best action movie (of any genre) I've ever seen.

Peep dis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgop-8awFJM#t=1m22s

Quote Originally Posted by Mail-Moth
    I really liked those two. With Mushishi , Dennou Coil, Monster and Mononoke, those are the best anime i've seen this far. And I have seen an awful lot.
    YEESSS. Never thought I'd enjoy a 75 episode psychological thriller so much. Totally addictive considering I usually can't be bothered with the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by CommieRabbit
    I generally can't stand anime, but I enjoyed the hell out of Aachi & Ssipak, a Korean film. Simultaneously the most perverted and best action movie (of any genre) I've ever seen.
    Aachi & Ssipak is MAD. You should check out the Studio 4°C productions, like Mind Game and Tekkon Kinkreet. Art style is kinda similar to Aachi & Ssipak. Both are movies (ie not series) and have incredible art direction.

that's cool. I got a little bit of Paprika vibes from those trailers.
    have to see them. not really a big fan of those filler-filled animes like naruto etc.. or.. not a fan at all. but I did enjoy elfen lied, full metal alchemist and death note.

Well, here is my preference:
    Ninja Scroll(Best ninja anime ever)
    Death Note
    Shiguiru
    Naruto
    Bleach
    Blade of the immortal(the manga is much better )
    Claymore
    Devil may cry
    and
    Cowboy bebop
    Mushishi is actually very good

there's a nice list of classics, my 2 cents for series. i'm a big nut for drawing, so the linework and aesthetics of these are among my favourites:

Deathnote

Bakuman (same author as deathnote, about becoming a manga artist. nice look at how the industry works)

Vagabond (about Musashi the swordsman. beautiful ink drawings for fluid fight scenes, probably my favourite manga artist right now)

Gantz (CG galore, also nice plot twists- the author is not hesitant about killing off main characters...)

Worst (humorous book about high school gang culture in Tokyo, and one man's dream to unite his school. lot of fist fights, really fun drawings and interesting characters)

Air Gear (sci fi far out manga about next gen inline skates. beautifully detailed drawings though teh plot is a bit shit)

Claymore

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Initial D

Naruto

Rurouni Kenshin

Les Gouttes de Dieu (about wine, also a good introductory to wine culture)

and i can't miss out things that shaped my childhood. Dragonball, Doraemon, Ranma.

watched Aachi & Ssipak a while ago, and also tekkon kinkreet.

Aachi & Ssipak was really entertaining, a perverted weird actionmovie with good graphics (the character design and the environment)
    quite a fun twist to a drug and cops movie.

Tekkon Kinkreet was.. quite entertaining, too. not a very original plot but it had some great scenes that were really nice to look at.
    but I can't really come to think of why it was in the childrens movies department of the store...

anyway, I would recommend both, going to watch mind game tomorrow. and then have a look at haibane renmei. some nice recommendations here that weren't boring (bleach, naruto, one piece kind of stuff... no offence ;))

Unless I've missed it I actually cannot believe there has been no mention for Castle of Cagliostro.

This Film is a joy to behold. A classic adventure story which has influenced countless Hollywood directors over the years. Hayao Miyazaki's greatest in my humble opinion.

Last edited by MidnightBlue; 10-13-2009 at 10:51 PM.

The Sci-Fi enthusiast in mean also loves the idealistic grandeur of Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind. If Blade Runner was to be animated... this is how I would imagine it to be.

These two Miyazaki films deserve honourable mention far beyond Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke I believe.

Smack in the middle of Initial D 3rd stage....this anime makes me wanna drift so bad...or at least try to learn to.
    "If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
    - Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by cabl3 View Post
    Smack in the middle of Initial D 3rd stage....this anime makes me wanna drift so bad...or at least try to learn to.
    It's quite fun once you get the hang of it. I first learned about 5 years ago on a friend's S13 Silvia and an R32 Skyline GTR. Replacing tires get to be very costly!

This makes me want to dig up the old VCD collection of Initial D

Akira is still amazing to this day.

You guys sure know your stuff. I'm not that diversified with anime, but you have inspired me to watch Akira tonight. I have it on blu-ray and the quality is amazing, definitely worth getting if you haven't seen it in HD and really like the movie. I also like DBZ, but that is more nostalgic since I was really into it back in middle school. I do have the movies on blu-ray and plan on getting the episodes on blu-ray when they come out though. I also like Gundam series, very typical I know, but I don't really know much outside of that. I want to watch the Cowboy Bebop stuff after all the good words.

i quickly scrolled through this... did anyone mention Wicked City?

Quote Originally Posted by NON View Post
    i quickly scrolled through this... did anyone mention Wicked City?
    Computers have text search functions. In Firefox you type [ctrl/apple]-f and then a search string. Welcome to 1996.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Don't usually watch anime
    I found Time of Eve and East of Eden to be two interesting recent series.

Not an anime, but Until Death Do us Part is a crazy manga about a modern samurai. I picture him wearing Rick and Julius tailoring with basic tops.

Thread resurrect!

Anyone still read the Bleach manga? I've been bored with it for ages but still follow the weekly releases just to see how much of a trainwreck Kubo Tite would make it. Anyway seems like someone is a fan of m.a+ ...

Edit: link removed due to hotlinkan.
    Last edited by stereophobic; 10-03-2011 at 06:05 PM.

the anime industry in Japan is actually quite sad...especially for those who work in it. Many, many, many sleepless nights. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (employers are pretty unsympathetic to it btw). Barely enough in salary to buy food. It's actually quite repressive. There is a putrid-smelling windowless floor tucked away in Production IG, that has been described to me as being quite literally full of zombies slaving away in tiny cubicles.

here's an interesting report on the industry.
    http://altjapan.typepad.com/my_weblo...me-report.html

the harvard business review working paper for it...
    http://www.hbs.edu/research/pdf/09-114.pdf

fyi, in Japan manga is the big thing...anime, toys, etc...are all made to supplement / exploit it (as quickly as possible). also as popular as anime is outside of japan, the "committees" only have Nihon in mind, they typically lose out in the international distribution revenue.

^ Those articles are painfully true. It's a shame that the industry's workers have been reduced to that level, but I would assume its due to the saturation of the market compared to disney.

Manga was always where it was at. Animes are almost always terrible animated adaptions that cut out many of the character building segments. Watch a good anime, then read the manga and it's almost always better.

Adding to the thread, these are by far my most favorite animes:

GTO
    Evangelion
    Code Geass