Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlacknWhite
    • Apr 2014

The only live action I thought came out decent was Gantz.

Comment

• SafetyKat
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
      The Death Note adaptation was absolutely horrendous.
      Which part? The one where they finagled the plot to make Light a clear cut villian or the cold, hard fact that no one will ever be able to portray L in a manner suitable to the fans

And no reference to the whole "I take a chip... AND EAT IT" thing? Could've made the digesting the rest of the film a lot more manageable

Comment

• SafetyKat
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
        The reviews are apparently awful, so I'm keeping my expectations low. Hopefully, it's at least "fun."
        I love the fact that most anime to live action adaptions are hit or completely crash and burn into a ditch. Makes going to the movie that much more exiting

Looking forward to hearing what you thought

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
          • Sep 2015

I just want to say it was a huge mistake to make the first anime I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion. I've pretty much been unsatisfied with 95% of the shows/movies I've come across after that. It blows.
          who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• DudleyGray
            • Jul 2013

I loved it on so many levels. I can't believe it's getting so many bad reviews, what did they think this movie was supposed to be?

Also, I remembered why I hate theaters and don't bother with them anymore. But it was worth seeing this in theatre setting.
            bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by ADreamofBlue View Post
              I just want to say it was a huge mistake to make the first anime I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion. I've pretty much been unsatisfied with 95% of the shows/movies I've come across after that. It blows.
              just watch utena, its the shoujo version of NGE
              Originally posted by unwashed
              Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
              Originally posted by Ahimsa
              I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• timm3h
                • Mar 2011

@ any fans of Deadman Wonderland, Kataoka Jinsei & Kondou Kazuma just started a new manga called Smokin' Parade. First chapter is delightfully fucked up.
                Clothing deconstruction & review

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                  • Sep 2015

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                  just watch utena, its the shoujo version of NGE
                  That's what I've read - I'll definitely give it a go once school lets out for the semester in a couple of months. I'd like to give as much focus to it as possible if it's like NGE. I do like that it has 39 episodes.

timm3h I'll give it a look. I wish they would just finish the Deadman Wonderland anime...

Comment

• eleves
                    • Sep 2012

Finally joined Crunchyroll and can watch non netflix things easily now! Any recommendations?
                    Originally posted by Faust
                    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                      • Sep 2015

If you want to be put supremely on tilt at wasted potential in a show, look no further than Wizard Barristers Benmashi Cecil. I love Umetsu's KITE and he's probably my favorite character designer, but this show...

It's very nice to look at - even if you don't stick with it, just watch the first five minutes, or so, just because of the visual onslaught. My only complaint visually is the use of CGI. I understand why it's used (time, etc.), but drawing ages much better than CGI. This show though... it needed WAYYYYY more time to develop among other things. Due to how poorly it performed in Japan, there is no way it's getting a second season unless some angel investor comes along to scoop Umetsu up. Umetsu has these great ideas, but I don't know what happened after KITE.

Comment

• Cantara
                        • Mar 2015

I just started watching the new Ghost in the Shell series. So far so good. Nothing really compares to the first two movies though...

Comment

• BlacknWhite
                          • Apr 2014

Neon Genesis is very divided between people who think it's the greatest thing to ever happen in Japanese animation, and the polar opposite who thinks it's pretentious and over rated. This seems to be based on WHEN someone has seen N.G.E. Was it their first anime? did they watch it as a young child? in these cases, it does a good job at burning a positive impression on people. Those who give it a shot after seeing more modern mangas think otherwise.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                            • Apr 2013

Shokugeki no soma for the recommendation

Um to be fair I watched evangelion recently as an adult and it's still the best anime I have ever seen from a non entertainment level perspective.
                            It's like the carpe diem of anime, so many parallels can be drawn from things that came after it, if you watched NGE, and you like that kind of concept madoka is very similar and has a ton of parallels even to the way that the actual fighting styles mirror EVAs

But that shinji complex is super strong in a ton of things that came after it. That's why if you watch it after and you've seen a bunch of stuff that was done because of evangelion then it appears lesser, it's like watching citizen Kane.
                            Originally posted by unwashed
                            Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                            Originally posted by Ahimsa
                            I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• MJRH
                              • Nov 2006

^Thanks for that. I know nothing about anime, and could never get into NGE. With the Kane comparison in mind, maybe I'll give it another go.
                              ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by MJRH View Post
                                ^Thanks for that. I know nothing about anime, and could never get into NGE. With the Kane comparison in mind, maybe I'll give it another go.
                                Patience is key, friend. Once you get past the first six episodes, it only gets better from there. After three viewings of the series, I've come to enjoy the series as a whole but for those starting out that is the major hang-up. I have yet to come across another show which portrays clinical depression so well. Your appreciation of the show would only increase if you've been depressed, or know people who have depression or are depressed.

I'm also quite fond of the show because it portrays some people I know in real life to a T, down to the relationship mechanics - it's like Anno knew these people. It's weird.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎