Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: anime!

Normally don't watch anime, but watched Belladonna of Sadness the other day. Incredible visuals. I was impressed.
    How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Quote Originally Posted by kuugaia View Post
    ^ Those articles are painfully true. It's a shame that the industry's workers have been reduced to that level, but I would assume its due to the saturation of the market compared to disney.

Manga was always where it was at. Animes are almost always terrible animated adaptions that cut out many of the character building segments. Watch a good anime, then read the manga and it's almost always better.

Adding to the thread, these are by far my most favorite animes:

GTO
    Evangelion
    Code Geass

I don't know if it's about market saturation...a tour of any otaku's room will attest to the limits of their saturation. Tho yes, by my western perspective I see it as being saturated (and dated) as well.

Japan is a hierarchical society, many are expected to work while the few are held up high. This tied in with set protocols and the ever present feeling of "shoganai" (C'est la vie) make workers very complacent. The current crop of workers at Disney had the fortunate circumstance of their forebearers unionizing (tho I won't say that's a solution either).

Many wish the situation would change, but those not toeing the line will be ostracized.

btw, "gaijin" (foreigners...anyone NOT from japan...and this sometimes includes american-born japanese) are held to a different standard (not necessarily a good one). Maybe this is changing, Hapas (part-asian), once scorned are now quite popular in the media. And of course they can't get enough of Brad Pitt and Beckham hehe.

and my favorite anime by far is FLCL.
    Last edited by unmetro; 05-14-2010 at 04:30 PM.

FLCL was a mind fuck. Haha in a good way.

^Dead Leaves is way better than FLCL as a mindfuck...

Also the studio 4°C works are pretty enjoyable, a ancient collegue of mine 's working with them, that's pretty dope stuffs. Samourai Champloo and Boondocks are also very enjoyable.

But seriously guys...Naruto?
    I stipulate you to read all the Blade of the Immortal serie instead.

FLCL is awesome. For many reasons, if not for the soundtrack alone.

Samurai Champloo paled in comparison to bebop. Hip hop didn't really mesh as well as space and jazz.

Naruto for me is blah. Blade of the immortal was boring as well...

Vagabond on the other hand..

Yeah, Blade of the Immortal had a really great reputation from being simply the best localized english manga of it's time, however Hiroaki Samura's fractured storytelling style/narrative flow and the dragginess of the series in the past two/three years really annoyed me.

Vagabond is my favorite samurai manga even if it has jumped the shark for me as of 2010.

tomatous you should read Shigurui if you're into the seinen samurai genre.

Naruto, Bleach etc. are simply disposable weekly entertainment, and while I'm no fanboy/hardcore fan I do think that as far as disposable weekly entertainment goes there are many other things out there that are far worse. One Piece however is an awesome shonen manga. It reminds me of being a kid back when Dragonball was still being published.

+1 on one piece, it brings weekly laugh and has a enjoyable entertaining storyline... miss the rest of the strawhat crew tho

I actually haven't seen many samurai animes besides Kenshin and Ninja Scroll. When I have a good think about it, the anime that I most 'enjoyed' was Dragon Ball Z. Goku going super saiyan will always be an integral part of my life.

-Grave of the fireflies is definately at my top movies overal list. Emotions are so extremely well drawn.

-Also Angel's Egg by Mamoru Oshii and drawn by one of my favorite artists Yoshitaka Amano.

These two had to be mentioned here!

Also my list of movies in no particular order:
    -Metropolis,
    -Akira,
    -GitS both movies,
    -Memories,
    -Ninja Scroll
    -Vampire Hunter D,
    -Steamboy,
    -The Place Promised In Our Early Days,
    -5 centimeters per second,
    -The girl who leapt through time
    -Millenium actress
    -and almost all Ghibli studio movies

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
    The Sci-Fi enthusiast in mean also loves the idealistic grandeur of Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind. If Blade Runner was to be animated... this is how I would imagine it to be.
    Nausicaa is really good and looks great on blu-ray btw.

All my favorites have already been mentioned (Akira, ninja scroll,etc...), recently I enjoyed Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22

No manga thread but my guess is I'm not the only Suehiro Maruo or Shintaro Kago fan .

I can't believe it, Satoshi Kon passes away at 47. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by stereophobic View Post
    I can't believe it, Satoshi Kon passes away at 47. RIP.
    That's so sad, RIP. Bought paprika in blu-ray a few weeks ago, will watch tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by unwashed View Post
    -Grave of the fireflies is definately at my top movies overal list. Emotions are so extremely well drawn.

-Also Angel's Egg by Mamoru Oshii and drawn by one of my favorite artists Yoshitaka Amano.

These two had to be mentioned here!

Also my list of movies in no particular order:
    -Metropolis,
    -Akira,
    -GitS both movies,
    -Memories,
    -Ninja Scroll
    -Vampire Hunter D,
    -Steamboy,
    -The Place Promised In Our Early Days,
    -5 centimeters per second,
    -The girl who leapt through time
    -Millenium actress
    -and almost all Ghibli studio movies
    amazing recommendations, place promised, 5 centimeters, the girl who leapt were too good, downloading millenium actress right now. such good movies. thanks for posting this.

Watched Parika recently, it's basically an anime version of Inception except much better and from a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by jogu View Post
    i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

for some of the older anime fans on the forum, brace yourselves:

"No manga thread but my guess is I'm not the only Suehiro Maruo or Shintaro Kago fan ."

Yeah!-Love Suehiro Maruo..
    Tried to post one of his Bataille-esque, eyeball licking images ( In response to the "What are your kids watching" post in the WTF thread. ) but I botched it..

Default Angel's Egg

man oh man!

some random manga about pirates(strangely not ninjas). has cdiem 6 holes and sneakskin backzip in it too.

sorry about the big pic i couldnt seem to resize it.

*http://www.nanadm.com/comic/866/
    Last edited by Jonn; 03-13-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: link added. enjoy!

Interesting. Link please?
    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

I haven't seen or read a whole lot of manga/anime but the whole Naruto world I must say really is interesting. I love watching those episodes, the only problem is that sometimes the powerful guys sometimes don't get the attention they should. They're lead up to being fantastic power fighters, but then one of our main characters freak out in anger and get some strange power to overwhelm them completely.

I saw Elfen(Elven?) Lied once but its so long ago. Most people found it very good but even though I did manage to see all of the episodes it didn't really catch my attention.

Do you guys have any other ideas to what a quite newly anime fan can watch that is in the fantasy world without it being too strange? :)