Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MidnightBlue
    • Sep 2009

The Sci-Fi enthusiast in mean also loves the idealistic grandeur of Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind. If Blade Runner was to be animated... this is how I would imagine it to be.

These two Miyazaki films deserve honourable mention far beyond Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke I believe.

Comment

• cabl3
      • Dec 2008

Smack in the middle of Initial D 3rd stage....this anime makes me wanna drift so bad...or at least try to learn to.
      "If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
      - Wilde

Comment

• mw000
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by cabl3 View Post
        Smack in the middle of Initial D 3rd stage....this anime makes me wanna drift so bad...or at least try to learn to.
        It's quite fun once you get the hang of it. I first learned about 5 years ago on a friend's S13 Silvia and an R32 Skyline GTR. Replacing tires get to be very costly!

This makes me want to dig up the old VCD collection of Initial D

Akira is still amazing to this day.

Comment

• Silk
          • Jan 2009

You guys sure know your stuff. I'm not that diversified with anime, but you have inspired me to watch Akira tonight. I have it on blu-ray and the quality is amazing, definitely worth getting if you haven't seen it in HD and really like the movie. I also like DBZ, but that is more nostalgic since I was really into it back in middle school. I do have the movies on blu-ray and plan on getting the episodes on blu-ray when they come out though. I also like Gundam series, very typical I know, but I don't really know much outside of that. I want to watch the Cowboy Bebop stuff after all the good words.

Comment

• NON
            • Apr 2009

i quickly scrolled through this... did anyone mention Wicked City?

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by NON View Post
              i quickly scrolled through this... did anyone mention Wicked City?
              Computers have text search functions. In Firefox you type [ctrl/apple]-f and then a search string. Welcome to 1996.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• delirium
                • Sep 2008

Don't usually watch anime
                I found Time of Eve and East of Eden to be two interesting recent series.

Not an anime, but Until Death Do us Part is a crazy manga about a modern samurai. I picture him wearing Rick and Julius tailoring with basic tops.

Comment

• stereophobic
                  • Aug 2009

Thread resurrect!

Anyone still read the Bleach manga? I've been bored with it for ages but still follow the weekly releases just to see how much of a trainwreck Kubo Tite would make it. Anyway seems like someone is a fan of m.a+ ...

Edit: link removed due to hotlinkan.
                  Last edited by stereophobic; 10-03-2011, 06:05 PM.
                  An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.

Comment

• unmetro
                    • Sep 2006

the anime industry in Japan is actually quite sad...especially for those who work in it. Many, many, many sleepless nights. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (employers are pretty unsympathetic to it btw). Barely enough in salary to buy food. It's actually quite repressive. There is a putrid-smelling windowless floor tucked away in Production IG, that has been described to me as being quite literally full of zombies slaving away in tiny cubicles.

here's an interesting report on the industry.

the harvard business review working paper for it...

fyi, in Japan manga is the big thing...anime, toys, etc...are all made to supplement / exploit it (as quickly as possible). also as popular as anime is outside of japan, the "committees" only have Nihon in mind, they typically lose out in the international distribution revenue.

Comment

• kuugaia
                      • Feb 2010

^ Those articles are painfully true. It's a shame that the industry's workers have been reduced to that level, but I would assume its due to the saturation of the market compared to disney.

Manga was always where it was at. Animes are almost always terrible animated adaptions that cut out many of the character building segments. Watch a good anime, then read the manga and it's almost always better.

Adding to the thread, these are by far my most favorite animes:

GTO
                      Evangelion
                      Code Geass

Comment

• Enaml
                        • Apr 2009

Normally don't watch anime, but watched Belladonna of Sadness the other day. Incredible visuals. I was impressed.
                        How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• unmetro
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                          ^ Those articles are painfully true. It's a shame that the industry's workers have been reduced to that level, but I would assume its due to the saturation of the market compared to disney.

Manga was always where it was at. Animes are almost always terrible animated adaptions that cut out many of the character building segments. Watch a good anime, then read the manga and it's almost always better.

Adding to the thread, these are by far my most favorite animes:

GTO
                          Evangelion
                          Code Geass

I don't know if it's about market saturation...a tour of any otaku's room will attest to the limits of their saturation. Tho yes, by my western perspective I see it as being saturated (and dated) as well.

Japan is a hierarchical society, many are expected to work while the few are held up high. This tied in with set protocols and the ever present feeling of "shoganai" (C'est la vie) make workers very complacent. The current crop of workers at Disney had the fortunate circumstance of their forebearers unionizing (tho I won't say that's a solution either).

Many wish the situation would change, but those not toeing the line will be ostracized.

btw, "gaijin" (foreigners...anyone NOT from japan...and this sometimes includes american-born japanese) are held to a different standard (not necessarily a good one). Maybe this is changing, Hapas (part-asian), once scorned are now quite popular in the media. And of course they can't get enough of Brad Pitt and Beckham hehe.

and my favorite anime by far is FLCL.
                          Last edited by unmetro; 05-14-2010, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• kuugaia
                            • Feb 2010

FLCL was a mind fuck. Haha in a good way.

Comment

• Dropt
                              • May 2009

^Dead Leaves is way better than FLCL as a mindfuck...

Also the studio 4°C works are pretty enjoyable, a ancient collegue of mine 's working with them, that's pretty dope stuffs. Samourai Champloo and Boondocks are also very enjoyable.

But seriously guys...Naruto?
                              I stipulate you to read all the Blade of the Immortal serie instead.

Comment

• tomatous
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2009

FLCL is awesome. For many reasons, if not for the soundtrack alone.

Samurai Champloo paled in comparison to bebop. Hip hop didn't really mesh as well as space and jazz.

Naruto for me is blah. Blade of the immortal was boring as well...

Vagabond on the other hand..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎