• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by tomatous View Post
    Thank you for that info stereo - you made my day too! Love the connection made to Uma Wang Rilu. If only wearing her pieces equalled god hands devouring the branded ones :X Often times the berserk chapters are translated on the day of Japanese release (way ahead of US release).
    Those quick translations are akin to fast fashion for me.

rilu, for some odd reason this idea of the world through a child's eyes brings Tekkonkinkreet to mind...but I'll check out Dennō Coil, it sounds interesting indeed!
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• stereophobic
      • Aug 2009

I would throw in my 2ยข with regards to Dennou Coil and say that it is one of the most sterling examples of science-fiction animation of the past decade or so.

What I think it does best is use an imaginative near-future setting to provide the backdrop of what is essentially the age-old coming-of-age storyline. Learning to let go of the past, understanding the importance of friends/relationships and one's place in the world in an age where we are increasingly becoming the isolated masters of our own cyber-fiefdoms, and the transformative power of urban environments aren't exactly new concepts, but somehow Mitsuo Iso manages to hit a home-run for the most part.

Another often overlooked point regarding Dennou Coil: it was pretty much the most well-animated anime of that year, and has held up very well since it's initial airing: Mitsuo Iso is recognized as somewhat of a genius in the previous new-wave of animators, and his ethos permeates throughout Dennou Coil.

Those who have yet to watch Dennou Coil ought to give it a try, but mind you, it remains at it's core a twisted fairytale in the non-horrific sense. Don't expect mecha battles even if there are some action scenes in it.

For those who liked Dennou Coil, perhaps it's time to give Real Drive Sennou Chosashitsu a try if you haven't.
      An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.

Comment

• Crowzer
        • Feb 2011

I watched Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works yesterday. The movie from the serie FATE. It was pretty awesome especially in HD.

I watched it because Fate/Zero has released.

I watched Hellsing Utimate too. We have to wait a long time between each OAV, but the serie is sooo good.

Comment

• tron
          • Dec 2010

I'm going to read hellsing next then check out the OVA's
          I've heard really good things about the series
          "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• kowei
            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by rilu
            boring? aww, for me it never was boring! i guess tastes differ :p
            Actually I started it just for the Tokyo/Ikebukuro background, being a little bit reluctant to everything's "fantasy", I chose the wrong one

Same for Steins;Gates, charadesign and atmosphere are sooooooo good, but I just can't...

Comment

• Ahimsa
              Vegan Police
              • Sep 2011

I am somewhat baffled that (to my knowledge) no one has yet to mention Universal Century Mobile Suit Gundam, one of the greatest universes ever created. Not only is much of it based on real/theoretical technology but there are actual technical specs for all of the mobile suits.

(Universal Century of course does not include Gundam Wing, G-Gundam, Gundam Seed, etc. I am talking of the creation and expansion of the original 1979 version and all others placed under the Universal Century timeline.)

Comment

• volta
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Jin View Post
                Oh. Who saw the Kemonozume? It's fantastic
                this well known in russia or something? i've heard about it in the past on several occasions.. only by russians.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                  Vegan Police
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by rilu
                  ^ never heard of it before! can you specify which series is good to start from cause i can't see from searching online what you are exactly referring to?
                  If this is referring to my Gundam post then gladly.
                  My favorites are:
                  Mobile Suit Gundam(the series was also condensed into 3 movies)
                  MSG Char's Counter Attack
                  MSG 0080: War in the Pocket
                  MSG 0083: Stardust Memory
                  MSG: The 08th MS Team

Comment

• Zenith
                    • Jun 2009

What's the dude doing wearing Vash's coat?

Watching Monster right now, shocked how faithful it's been to the manga so far. Of course that could change.

Comment

• Lumina
                      • Dec 2009

Nice Rilu ! The association with the Uma Wang sweater above is very good.

As for associations, the fw09 collection by Julius always made me think about Akira and his post-apocalyptic vibe, especially this look :

Or Kakashi from Naruto :

I haven't watched anime or read manga in a while, but Taiyo Matsumoto is one of my favorite (Tekkon Kinkreet, Gogo Monster)

A few pages of Gogo Monster, another story through the imaginative eyes of a children. The book is huge, I like that there are lots of contemplative pages, adding a lot to the mood and temporality of the story :

Comment

• stereophobic
                        • Aug 2009

Tetsuo's red cloak has been an enduring image in pop-culture I've always taken the ragged, draped look of his to be the the flip-side of Superman's red cape, especially if you take into consideration the motivations that drove him to the edge.

If anyone could illustrate how they styled that Julius stole like that on the runway, tips would be appreciated, I never really got how they managed it.

I've not been watching anime in the past 2-3 years, probably because I'm disenchanted with the current zeitgeist, too many products that cater towards the moe crowd and too many light novel adaptations. Time is also an issue. The only anime I look forward to these days is the next Rebuild of Evangelion film as well as the Berserk film(s).

Comment

• Zenith
                          • Jun 2009

Are they going to cover the golden age again? Would be nice to see some post eclipse Berserk animated.

Speaking of berserk are they still fighting the seagod? I seriously think Miura will pass before any thing close to a finale is reached.

Comment

• Lane
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Zenith View Post
                            What's the dude doing wearing Vash's coat?

Watching Monster right now, shocked how faithful it's been to the manga so far. Of course that could change.

one of my all time favorite shows, not a huge anime fan but this is killer.

Its 100% the same, you'll be shocked

Comment

• mizzar
                              • Mar 2008

"Redline" anybody? Same guy who directed "Trava Fist Planet", 3 years in making, plus one year in festivals and now it's out.
                              Think FLCL, Dead Leaves etc.
                              ____
                              sorry for my bad english, i learned it from the book.

I too am inspired by homeless people when I buy a $1,000 jacket. Why don't we just shit on them? Oh, fashion, sometimes I wonder why I bother...(Faust)

Comment

• stereophobic
                                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by mizzar View Post
                                "Redline" anybody? Same guy who directed "Trava Fist Planet", 3 years in making, plus one year in festivals and now it's out.
                                Think FLCL, Dead Leaves etc.
                                7 years in the making. Anyone who loves animation ought to watch it, preferably in the cinema if there is a film festival showing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎