X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eat me
    • May 2009

"Job Wanted -- and Pay Would Be Nice"

Here, something for the budding designers. Interesting to hear from those who are still at uni on their plans: what are you planning to do after?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/28/fa....html?_r=1&hpw
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

thanks for posting this,
    slavery has returned in another form.............
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Johnny
      • Sep 2006

It's not exactly slavery! Fact is that, as in any other sector or profession, newly quailifed staff are almost fully a cost rather than a revenue producing asset. That in itself doesn't justify people not being paid for a job, but it is the reality of the situation. The fashion industry is of course not unique here, and particulary not at this time. Many graduates will be leaving with fully professional qualifications but whithout any job to go to. Many of those would be grateful for at least some kind of work, but many will not get any.

Comment

• eat me
        • May 2009

People pay for graduate schemes or intern placements in financial industries. And many others. Also, you are completely wrong, wheres in other industries interns are busy with non-important tasks, in fashion interns in small/greedy-labels do the actual work of putting collection together and sewing it. There is no way of justifying this shit for labels like McQueen. If it's a very young label, I could see the need, but if it's a label who can afford to throw celebrity after-parties etc. - it's nothing other than exploitation.

I've experienced some of it first-hand, so I might sound harsh, but it annoys me hugely. When I was finishing with my internship I was asked to stay because of my skills etc., but as soon as I said I'd need some form of payment as I can't afford to sew the collection for them for free while working on weekends somewhere else to pay the bills - they lost their interest.

Comment

• eat me
          • May 2009

To be fair, interning at large houses you'll get a lot less responsibility (if any) than in smaller ones, and there are queues of people wanting to get abused to put the brand on their CV, but it's still a sorry and pathetic excuse.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Agreed with eat_me. I mean, what are you supposed to eat_me while you are working for someone? Work should be paid!
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Agreed with eat_me. I mean, what are you supposed to eat_me while you are working for someone? Work should be paid!
              Internship=free workers. I know some guy w. a marketing firm who imports his damn interns cause he knows that say, Brits, are lovin' it.
              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• merkuri
                • Sep 2009

same disease that afflicts publishing. you almost have to be well-heeled from the get go to go into certain lines of business as the starting pay is so paltry.

Originally posted by Faust View Post

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

there is a proverb we often use in Jamaica........."you have to kiss Ass before you can kick it"........
                  I guess this is a perfect demonstration of it.
                  “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• eat me
                    • May 2009

Faust, haha :).
                    zamb, such a shame that for many they never get to the kicking stage.

Comment

• almroth
                      • Jul 2008

It is how it is. usually assisting/interning pays off in the long run, but it's all very inconvenient and unfair to those who are in need of money. It's perfect if you've just graduated, live with your parents, need experience and growth.

plenty of my friends are doing this (most are stylist assistants), and it's a full time job. usually no pay at all, or very little. If you're an assistant, you often need to do everything. all from their coffee to tie their shoes (not really, but you know where im getting at) the good news is, you gain a lot of experience and strength. you learn, you meet people, you develop.

the bad news is, you become sort of a tool. most people looking into this business are creative people, you'd have to work for someone elses creativity.

as a recent graduate im a bit unsure of what I want to do for a living, but it has to be creative and giving. I feel im interested in too many things and can't pick one direction. perhaps I'll study futher or become an assistant/intern myself. right now I think im going to look for a paying job - save money for the future while I make up my mind.

Comment

• move_ment
                        • Feb 2009

we've heard this all before. I went through the same thing in the visual communication industry but was lucky enough to get a decent paying job upon completion.

honestly everyone needs a foot in the door, and if I was a fashion student i'd gladly do a 3-6month internship with Rick Owens, for example. You just have to work out where your passion lies to drive your success, life's not some walk in the park, espeically if you want a career path in the creative industry.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎