Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The best fashion design schools in the world?

Default The best fashion design schools in the world?

Which are the best fashion/design schools in the world? I only know a few and realize there are many more that i dont know of... if you aim to design for the established more exclusive brands, which one would you apply for?

Tier 1

Central Saint Martins
    Parsons
    Antwerp Royal Academy

Tier 2

Bunka college
    FIT
    RISD
    Vienna Academy of Fine Arts
    London College of Fashion

There is also Pratt, and I am sure I am missing some and put others in wrong tiers.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Heirloom

Quote Originally Posted by JoniF View Post
    I'll name one: Antwerp's Royal Academy of Fine Arts.

yupp. that's it.

To me...

Tier 1:
    Central Saint Martins
    Royal Academy of Fine Arts
    Parsons
    RISD

Tier 2:
    Bunka
    LCF
    FIT
    Otis
    Surprisingly:
    Cornell
    Flanders Fashion Institute

Tier 3:
    FIDM
    SVA
    Pratt
    Last edited by gerry; 10-19-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Otis is the one I forgot. Good call. But are you sure you are applying the right criteria? I am applying the original poster's criteria.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

^ Oops, my bad. I was just thinking in terms of technical skill.

edited.

Honestly, though, Bunka's grads could probably get better jobs if the majority of them had better language skills...

I'd be curious to hear why RISD is placed on 1st / 2nd tier just because I personally hear from people in the apparel program that it's probably on the lower end in terms of getting work since you're in providence and not New York or somewhere internationally located near bigger international brands.

However, the name does have quite a cachet so it'd probably be good on a degree.

I will say that they basically lock those kids in the apparel building. The workload is rigorous (although only slightly above average for RISD overall I'd say).

I'd suggest the textiles program which is supposed to be pretty phenomenal if you're attending RISD and want to work in the industry. Definitely going to try and get in some of those classes before I'm out of here.

Servo, that's why I put it in 2nd tier. I am sure their program is great, but maybe not as great in getting people jobs. Again, going by the original poster's criteria here, not in terms of meritocracy.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

That's what I figured - I would've put it in second tier as well but I was just trying to give an overall context about the program since I get to see some of its workings!

I was actually on campus two weeks ago. Wanted to go to the museum, but did not get a chance. Pretty setting though.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Too bad - there's a show of classic engravings that's absolutely incredible. A few durer pieces - I was excited to see they had Nemesis which was always one of my favorites. They've got some Issey Miyake pieces that I've seen them pull out on occasion and a pretty extensive collection of vintage fashion that you can request to have taken out by the department. During the summer a few years ago when I was taking classes I went with a class and they pulled out a 'history' of dresses that was really impressive.

OK, i figure Central Saint Martins, Royal Academy of Fine Arts and Parsons are the top three to go for... but what differs them from one another, why would you pick one before the other?

Angewandte @ Vienna

A friend of mine studied in Antwerp for 1 year and she said that the pressure there is very high, you won't get any social contacts and stuff. Some people even collapsed and quit. Not the first time that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    Angewandte @ Vienna

A friend of mine studied in Antwerp for 1 year and she said that the pressure there is very high, you won't get any social contacts and stuff. Some people even collapsed and quit. Not the first time that happens.
    I think it's quite obvious that higher reputation goes along with higher requirements. If the education would be on a level allowing anyone to graduate with a good grade the whole school would lose its high status.

Besides, everyone handles pressure on different ways. I know medical students who have to learn up to 10 hours each and every day and still keep up their social contacts and hobbys, whereas other students would be overstrained after two weeks of doing so.

In my eyes there is only Antwerp if i ever do my masters, possible the royal college of art in london,

I would like to put a word in to reduce the kind of rep that central saint martins has as it is in my opinion only hype these days. i think they have top staff there but i dont think that the work lives up to the designers involved (in teaching), and i think that their focus is more on styling than innovative design. like wise i really dont rate the work thats coming out of London college of fasion anymore

I consider the ability to sew a practical skill that anyone, who have the will and fair equipment, can become good at... meaning that anyone with a sense for design that is devoted enough has a great chance to become a well known designer. Am I right?
    Or do u think that its all in the genes and the great designers were born to be what they are?

Heirloom

talent vs practice? I believe in the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
    I consider the ability to sew a practical skill that anyone, who have the will and fair equipment, can become good at... meaning that anyone with a sense for design that is devoted enough has a great chance to become a well known designer. Am I right?
    Or do u think that its all in the genes and the great designers were born to be what they are?
    it's both, of course.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

FFI is not a school, it's an ngo which supports local designers and promotes flemmish fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    To me...

Tier 1:
    Central Saint Martins
    Royal Academy of Fine Arts
    Parsons
    RISD

Tier 2:
    Bunka
    LCF
    FIT
    Otis
    Surprisingly:
    Cornell
    Flanders Fashion Institute

Tier 3:
    FIDM
    SVA
    Pratt

I would have thought Bunka would be in tier one, dont disclude it because of it's location!!!

some pretty amazing designers have come from there;
    Jun Takahashi
    Yohji Yamamoto
    Kenzo takada
    Nigo (bathing ape.....-_-)
    Junya watanabe
    and i was told tatsuro from julius and the designer of viridi anne went there, but cant confirm that...

also they have exchange programmes with CSM and parsons, tier 1s