Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best fashion design schools in the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mink
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
    Does anyone have first-hand experience with Bunka? I'm interested in applying, but the requirements for foreign applicants seem pretty much impossible to meet.
    I'm interested in this as well. Their website says that applicants need a guarantor, meaning that if you're not already closely connected to someone living in Japan, it's basically a no-go. However, I've heard that there are companies that will serve as guarantors for you, but it sounds shady and probably costs an arm and a leg.

Originally posted by van Diem View Post
    And what are the best places to study Fashion Business? Preferably in London.
    Seconding this question. I've been looking into this myself as I'm interested in transferring to a fashion business program. Based on a bit of googling it looks like London College of Fashion has a celebrated marketing/merchandising program, but I'd love to hear someone's firsthand experience.

Comment

• Mrama
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by mink View Post
      Lucky you! I have a friend at SAIC, I recently visited there and she showed me their fashion resource center; thumbing through the racks of designer/historical clothes was such a dream. I heard Bereindonck lectured there a few months ago as well.
      Thank you! It has been an amazing experience so far. Beirendonck did in fact lecture here alongside the current Antwerp Six. They also collaborated directly with our fashion department in order to create images and publications for our annual fashion show.
      The Antwerp hand doesn't stop there, like I previously mentioned, Anke Loh is our current head of fashion department and she brings with her great knowledge, as well as connections.
      Also yes, the FRC (Fashion Resource Center) of SAIC is indeed a dream. There are tons of designers and garments within the archives, including Rick, McQueen, Issey Miyake, Comme, Rabanne, Couregges, and MANY more. The school is a direct derivative of the AIC so free admission to there is amazing as well.
      "All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last." - Marcel Proust

Comment

• orcafra
        • Jun 2016

infos on royal academy

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
        for Antwerp you apply online, from Artesis website. Then you go for the drawing test in the beginning of July, where you spend a day doing still life drawing exercises in color and black and white mediums. you also prepare a portfolio that you leave together with the entrance exam. Sometime during the two days of drawing you're called to another room for an interview with two of the teachers from the academy. It's about 5 minutes long. They ask what you've done, and why you want to enter the school, and what your expectations are. At noon on the second day you're asked to finish your table, with all the work you've done, plus portfolio and a sign with a picture of you and your name. At 18 you come back, and they announce who was accepted and leave out the ones who didn't pass. After that there's a list on the wall with the points you got, on a scale from 0 to 20. 10 is passing. If you pass you sign up for a mandatory language course in basic flemish (2 weeks long) and if you don't pass you have a second chance in september. I'd say about a tenth are accepted to the school, but every year only about half of the students pass or proceed to the next year. I am just finishing my first year, but I must say this school ended up not being for me. The teachers have a very limited dialogue with the students in the first year. They see it as an extended screening process. We make three garment studies in the first year, the rest is just drawing, so drawing skills is required. On top of the design projects, sewing and theoretical subjects you have drawing every week, and nude drawing. It's a very old school classic program which requires intense time management from the first day. If you slip behind it's difficult to catch up. The first semester is calm, but the second semester the pace truly picks up, and most students don't sleep properly until the summer.
        Also, it's an advantage if you like working in the vein or Mr Beirendonck's aesthetic. If you don't follow their general style you have to be ready to fight for your ideas from beginning to end. This is not an education for people with a clear point of view. They want to shape you and curate your talent. This has been my biggest issue, and is the main reason for me not finishing the first year. If you already know what you ultimately want to do/say, this is not the school for you. They like personalities, but not when they start discussions. More often than not the teachers will simply say "I like this. I don't like this." The style philosophical dialogue between teacher and student is their biggest weakness.

You also have to figure out any technical aspects on your own, when it comes to sewing.
        This year has so far been one of the most exciting and intense learning experiences for me, in spite of the nightmarish workload and the problematic guidance.
        I would still recommend this school to anyone who is up for a real challenge. Coming out of it you build a healthy confidence and discipline that will get you through life.
        Don't do it only for the prestige, as people in this field surely knows about the school, but in the end it's not about having a diploma, but having a good portfolio, clear point of view and solid experience.

If anyone has more questions, feel free to contact me and i'll get more in depth about my experiences.
        Hi Heirloom, i'd have something to ask u about the royal academy. Is there any way we can stay in touch? maybe by mail? let me know thanks :)

Comment

• annarosy
          • Jun 2016

Central Saint Martins is a good option for you to study fashion design
          Nothing...........

Comment

• Bosseh
            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by annarosy View Post
            how hard is it to get into?

Comment

• jRulloz
              • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Bosseh View Post
              how hard is it to get into?
              Also interested

Comment

• Ahimsa
                Vegan Police
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by annarosy View Post
                Please elaborate.
                StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• judempereira
                  • Jul 2016

I think social networking sites may help you.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                    • Apr 2013

this thread is getting cancerous
                    Originally posted by unwashed
                    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                    Originally posted by Ahimsa
                    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Isaburo Namiki
                      • May 2017

Can you tell me why bunka fashion college is rated as tier 2? Because BUnka has produced many successful designers(ofcourse successful doesn't mean anything. Also I am taking a short course in Bunka this summer so I really dont know how Bunk really is untill I really experience it.

Bunka ofcourse is not the only institute where you can study fashion. I am also thinking of applying to Central Saint Martins.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                        • Apr 2013

what is your question? I attend bunka [graduating next semester]
                        and I can answer your questions if you wish, I am not one for writing lengthy paragraphs about school though.

edit:
                        I am also one of the only westerners attending school, in my year there is exactly myself as the only male non asian foreigner, and about 3-4 females russian, german, khazak.

In the last 3 years there were 2 other male foreigners who were 1 year above me, swedish and some other dude not sure.

I am pretty sure I am the most qualified person on the board to discuss bunka fashion college with.
                        Originally posted by unwashed
                        Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                        Originally posted by Ahimsa
                        I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Anton
                          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                          what is your question? I attend bunka [graduating next semester]
                          and I can answer your questions if you wish, I am not one for writing lengthy paragraphs about school though.

edit:
                          I am also one of the only westerners attending school, in my year there is exactly myself as the only male non asian foreigner, and about 3-4 females russian, german, khazak.

In the last 3 years there were 2 other male foreigners who were 1 year above me, swedish and some other dude not sure.

I am pretty sure I am the most qualified person on the board to discuss bunka fashion college with.
                          I wanted to send you a private message but it seems that there is an error "TriggerDiscipline has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Can I send over a few questions about Bunka?
                          I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
                          My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• saniityhd
                            • Dec 2013

I have been on the fence about moving to Berlin recently and I wish to study fashion for a year there before moving on to another school ( which im not yet certain of which one Ill choose ). Does anyone know of any school which has preparing-courses in fashion in Berlin? Like a one year study where I can get the basics. I have a bit of knowledge when it comes to pattern-making, sewing, draping etcetc but think I would need more to get into the bigger schools.
                            Also, I only speak Swedish and English!
                            Thank you for any answers!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎