Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best fashion design schools in the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flashlight
    • Aug 2009

The best fashion design schools in the world?

Which are the best fashion/design schools in the world? I only know a few and realize there are many more that i dont know of... if you aim to design for the established more exclusive brands, which one would you apply for?
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Tier 1

Central Saint Martins
    Parsons
    Antwerp Royal Academy

Tier 2

Bunka college
    FIT
    RISD
    Vienna Academy of Fine Arts
    London College of Fashion

There is also Pratt, and I am sure I am missing some and put others in wrong tiers.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by JoniF
      I'll name one: Antwerp's Royal Academy of Fine Arts.

yupp. that's it.

Comment

• gerry
        • Feb 2008

To me...

Tier 1:
        Central Saint Martins
        Royal Academy of Fine Arts
        Parsons
        RISD

Tier 2:
        Bunka
        LCF
        FIT
        Otis
        Surprisingly:
        Cornell
        Flanders Fashion Institute

Tier 3:
        FIDM
        SVA
        Pratt
        Last edited by gerry; 10-19-2009, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Otis is the one I forgot. Good call. But are you sure you are applying the right criteria? I am applying the original poster's criteria.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gerry
            • Feb 2008

^ Oops, my bad. I was just thinking in terms of technical skill.

edited.

Honestly, though, Bunka's grads could probably get better jobs if the majority of them had better language skills...

Comment

• Servo2000
              • Oct 2006

I'd be curious to hear why RISD is placed on 1st / 2nd tier just because I personally hear from people in the apparel program that it's probably on the lower end in terms of getting work since you're in providence and not New York or somewhere internationally located near bigger international brands.

However, the name does have quite a cachet so it'd probably be good on a degree.

I will say that they basically lock those kids in the apparel building. The workload is rigorous (although only slightly above average for RISD overall I'd say).

I'd suggest the textiles program which is supposed to be pretty phenomenal if you're attending RISD and want to work in the industry. Definitely going to try and get in some of those classes before I'm out of here.
              WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Servo, that's why I put it in 2nd tier. I am sure their program is great, but maybe not as great in getting people jobs. Again, going by the original poster's criteria here, not in terms of meritocracy.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

That's what I figured - I would've put it in second tier as well but I was just trying to give an overall context about the program since I get to see some of its workings!

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I was actually on campus two weeks ago. Wanted to go to the museum, but did not get a chance. Pretty setting though.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                      • Oct 2006

Too bad - there's a show of classic engravings that's absolutely incredible. A few durer pieces - I was excited to see they had Nemesis which was always one of my favorites. They've got some Issey Miyake pieces that I've seen them pull out on occasion and a pretty extensive collection of vintage fashion that you can request to have taken out by the department. During the summer a few years ago when I was taking classes I went with a class and they pulled out a 'history' of dresses that was really impressive.

Comment

• flashlight
                        • Aug 2009

OK, i figure Central Saint Martins, Royal Academy of Fine Arts and Parsons are the top three to go for... but what differs them from one another, why would you pick one before the other?

Comment

• Wax
                          • Sep 2009

Angewandte @ Vienna

A friend of mine studied in Antwerp for 1 year and she said that the pressure there is very high, you won't get any social contacts and stuff. Some people even collapsed and quit. Not the first time that happens.

Comment

• dolochov
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Wax View Post
                            Angewandte @ Vienna

A friend of mine studied in Antwerp for 1 year and she said that the pressure there is very high, you won't get any social contacts and stuff. Some people even collapsed and quit. Not the first time that happens.
                            I think it's quite obvious that higher reputation goes along with higher requirements. If the education would be on a level allowing anyone to graduate with a good grade the whole school would lose its high status.

Besides, everyone handles pressure on different ways. I know medical students who have to learn up to 10 hours each and every day and still keep up their social contacts and hobbys, whereas other students would be overstrained after two weeks of doing so.

Comment

• andrew
                              • Sep 2009

In my eyes there is only Antwerp if i ever do my masters, possible the royal college of art in london,

I would like to put a word in to reduce the kind of rep that central saint martins has as it is in my opinion only hype these days. i think they have top staff there but i dont think that the work lives up to the designers involved (in teaching), and i think that their focus is more on styling than innovative design. like wise i really dont rate the work thats coming out of London college of fasion anymore

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎