Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best fashion design schools in the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genevieveryoko
    • Sep 2009

I guess acne stuff is okay quality but those atacoma wedges are really too much for me, i don't want to be that tall
    http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Fad
      • Dec 2006

Well, a few if you ask me. Check out Ann-Sofie Back, Sandra Backlund and Anna-Sara Dåvik for example…

Comment

I am very ambiguous towards the two you first mentioned. the third one I've never heard of.

in comparison with someone like Rick Owens I don't see how anyone in sweden can come close to the same level of competence and artistic grandiosity. Ann-Sofie Back only makes half arsed boxy/slouchy dresses and knits in black that only fit skinny girls, and sandra backlund has nothing to say about her artistic angle or vision, which in my book just makes her work feel really empty. I would like to like it, but in the end there's no real thought behind it other than "Oh, I don't know, I just a did a little here, and did a little there" so I can't give it anymore credit than for the actual objects. I miss designers with grand point of views. Take Undercovers ss09 presentation with the graces, or jil sander tailoring, rick owens surface treatments.... the dimension in swedish design is SEVERLY lacking. It waters down to mannerism most of the time. Creative processes always end up seeming lazy and unstimulating. Plus I'm missing sharp fits. Most things are too basic/ iffy fitting on me.

Comment

• Lisa
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ledger
          Does anybody know the best way for a Uk applicant to apply to Antwerp.Snaf told me i missed it last year by a smidge as a result i didnt even look into how the application process worked.

Also rich if you see this and if your doing it again this year let me know,drop me a text or email or somethings.

Hello,

i just registered myself to answer your question.
          I hope there's no language barrier...

If you're in the UK, and you want to join the exams (july or september), you have to get the application papers, fill them out, and send them -together with a CV and a copy of your ID, and a motivation letter- to Antwerp.

Then you'll travel to Belgium (visit the Fashion-Show, they'll ask you about it ;) ), and join the exams. You'll have to draw a lot! There are 2 themes on 2 Days, about 10 Drawings/Paintings to make, and one Interview with two People from the Institute.Also you have to leave your Portfolio there, maybe they will take a look at it, maybe not.
          At the end of the second day, they announce who made it, if you made it, you have to fill out some forms, and sign up for a language course, if not, you can ask why you didn't make it, and then you can go home again. That's it!

Really impressive atmosphere, nice people and a beautiful city

Lisa.

Comment

• Aleks
            • Feb 2009

would it be the same for a student from Canada?
            I'm sure that it would be much more tedious

Comment

• kuugaia
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by flashlight View Post
              I consider the ability to sew a practical skill that anyone, who have the will and fair equipment, can become good at... meaning that anyone with a sense for design that is devoted enough has a great chance to become a well known designer. Am I right?
              Or do u think that its all in the genes and the great designers were born to be what they are?
              Originally posted by Faust View Post
              it's both, of course.
              Ah, I know this is a very old message that Faust already answered but I felt that I wanted to add something too . I believe that with hard work you can get anywhere...but those with talent AND work hard are the only ones who can become legends. I don't believe hard work and devotion is enough to get you to the top. Because some people's genes just give them a natural advantage on top of the hard work they put in. Sure, you'll go far with practical skill...but not the entire distance. This is my view that relates especially to arts, but in life in general as well.

This talent vs. hard work topic hits me hard every time because of the teachers hammering me back in high school. Sigh

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ agreed.

Lisa, thanks for the info.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Lisa
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Aleks View Post
                  would it be the same for a student from Canada?
                  I'm sure that it would be much more tedious

It's not that different for a non-EU Member. Check the Infos on the Site, you'll find everything you need.

Just make sure you have enough time to move to Antwerp and join the Languagecourse, if they want you, and you start acting like a little princess ("oh no, i totally got no time..first i have to find a condo, gotta buy some furniture, ....") they'll kick your ass!.... really bad!

Glad i can help a little!

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                    • Feb 2009

Project Runway?

Comment

• waxy
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Tier 1

Central Saint Martins
                      Parsons
                      Antwerp Royal Academy

Tier 2

Bunka college
                      FIT
                      RISD
                      Vienna Academy of Fine Arts
                      London College of Fashion
                      ditto!

Comment

• Stijn
                        • Jun 2011

Does anyone have information about ''Costume design''? It's of course very different from fashion design but I'm really interested in it. I know you have a department in Antwerp and I'm thinking about going there but is it any good?

Comment

• eat me
                          • May 2009

just about any good Uni has a costume design department, LCF and CSM included.

Comment

• stephlinn
                            • May 2012

Any tips on applying to international design schools from the US? I'm thinking of CSM/Royal Academy Antwerp-and I'm open to other suggestions too.
                            I'm looking to apply directly from highschool, so it would be undergrad courses
                            I'm kinda new so if I'm posting in the wrong place just lemme know

Comment

• Kite
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by stephlinn View Post
                              Any tips on applying to international design schools from the US? I'm thinking of CSM/Royal Academy Antwerp-and I'm open to other suggestions too.
                              I'm looking to apply directly from highschool, so it would be undergrad courses
                              I'm kinda new so if I'm posting in the wrong place just lemme know
                              I heard the UAL's tend to be easier to get into foundation year for international students, include alot of observational drawings in your portfolio

Comment

• thejarc
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Kite View Post
                                I heard the UAL's tend to be easier to get into foundation year for international students, include alot of observational drawings in your portfolio
                                I did the Foundation at St Martins and while it is nearly impossible to get into the BA Fashion (especially Womenswear) when applying directly (crazy numbers, nearly 3000 applicants for around 150 places) it is relatively easy when you did the foundation there. And it is easier for international students because they are required to have 50% international students but the number of applicant for the international places is much lower. Also international people are always reviewed first (yes, they want the money).

And they looove observational drawing, but also a healthy mix of fashion drawings and (really important) research pages which show your idea development.

If you want to go to Antwerp you have to go there for a drawing test (I dont know the excact procedure as I didnt go to the test but I think they have dates in July & September and if you pass the drawing test you have to come again in September, maybe Heirloom can tell you a bit more about that). But Antwerp is a lot harder to get into than St Martins because they take much less people.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎