Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mail-Moth
    • Mar 2009

Ok, I have to admit that Twitter can be a good thing.

Only if Hobo is the only one allowed to use it

Seriously, you've got a point. After all, we are posting on the internet and we learn a lot doing this, an though, we all know what the internet looks like for the most part.

( Sorry for writing such obvious things.)
    I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
    I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• DRRRK
      • Aug 2009

Do I have to buy a suit from the current Raf Simons collection to be able to say that I do not want to own one? Because it is shit, as banal as this argument may seem? Do I have to use Twitter to judge it? My opinion about Twitter is that it was and still is a useful medium in the Iran revolt or other social or political trouble spots. I just do not want it in my life. Do I have to get deeper? It is a popular medium and it can be, like other mediums, manipulative. If I can choose, who or what manipulates me by simply not using a medium I will not use it.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by hobo
        2. To dismiss a whole genre of communication is not wise, because there will always be someone who comes along and does use said genre wisely.
        I of course understand your point here and I'm sure that this very much applies in your case, and I'm sure no one is criticizing you personally here. but then again it doesn't change the fact that a large part of twitter users are teenagers writing about their cat and semi-celebrities telling they ate a hot dog. so even though there are exceptions, its hard not to think that most of the time its nonsense. if I dislike it 95% of the time, can I say its wack?
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• mrbeuys
          • May 2008

Originally posted by mike lowrey
          but then again it doesn't change the fact that a large part of twitter users are teenagers writing about their cat and semi-celebrities telling they ate a hot dog.
          Sidenote, but actually not quite true:

"The average age of Twitter users has remained relatively static, with a median user age of 31. Other social networking sites are still finding their core demographic. MySpace has grown younger, with a median age of 26, down from 27 in May 2008. LinkedIn also fell to 39 from 40. Meanwhile, Facebook has aged a bit, up to 33 from 26 more than a year ago."

There IS a lot of useless babble though, but it's up to you to find the bits worth following. I quite like it actually...
          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by hobo
            For example, when you first PMed me, I thought that you were and idiot, I formed an opinion but I kept an open mind and now I understand that you’re just misguided.

thanks for going easy on me!

making friends, pnidzy style.
            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys
              Sidenote, but actually not quite true:

"The average age of Twitter users has remained relatively static, with a median user age of 31. Other social networking sites are still finding their core demographic. MySpace has grown younger, with a median age of 26, down from 27 in May 2008. LinkedIn also fell to 39 from 40. Meanwhile, Facebook has aged a bit, up to 33 from 26 more than a year ago."

There IS a lot of useless babble though, but it's up to you to find the bits worth following. I quite like it actually...
              that just proves the part about (old) celebrities

in all seriousness though, thats interesting info, I would've guessed the median to be much less.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• merkuri
                • Sep 2009

facebook is the biggest thorn in my side these days. i have taken to trolling and calling out fb friends because they construct these false, wonderful bullshit lives on there. i have a friend who cannot pay his utilities right now posting cad drawings of the addition he is "planning" on putting on his house. if only people were as wonderful and interesting IRL as they are on FB.

Comment

• munch
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by merkuri
                  facebook is the biggest thorn in my side these days. i have taken to trolling and calling out fb friends because they construct these false, wonderful bullshit lives on there. i have a friend who cannot pay his utilities right now posting cad drawings of the addition he is "planning" on putting on his house. if only people were as wonderful and interesting IRL as they are on FB.
                  haha I never had that problem with my friends on facebook. my friends only seem really boring on facebook. posting what they are going to do on the day and telling when they're bored and whining about their studies/work.

maldoror: awesome color choices. personally would have worn a pair of shoes to that instead of sneakers. but very nice colors!

Comment

• Avyer
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by merkuri
                    This is why I limit my FB status to nights that I'm piss drunk and depressed. I have the same feelings about Twitter as well. No one reads my boring shit, and I don't care. It's just like that old "write a letter and never send it" therapy. And the amazing thing about Twitter, to me, is the availability to find the most random, yet truly entertaining people to follow. And best of all, I now get to follow Hobo.

What is really banal, is the "waste of time" argument. In a true reality, everything this is a waste of time as you can not actually "save" time itself. One just needs to find something that makes this waste of time enjoyable.
                    Remember, be here now.

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

[quote=merkuri;188549]facebook is the biggest thorn in my side these days. i have taken to trolling and calling out fb friends because they construct these false, wonderful bullshit lives on there. i have a friend who cannot pay his utilities right now posting cad drawings of the addition he is "planning" on putting on his house. if only people were as wonderful and interesting IRL as they are on FB.[/quote]

I ve wanted to respond to some of the hobo mans posts but just been to busy..............

while I can understand the potential of these social media sites to do good, As Mike Lowrey said, 95% of it is really garbage you dont want to sift through...........
                      My wife is a huge facebook junkie, I happened to access the site through her page and trust me, some of the nonsense I see on there, I really wonder what kind of lives these people have and if they ever know the definition of PRIVACY.

it has taken over some peoples like so that everywhere they go they have a camera, ready to sap a picture just to post it on facebook. I remember ready a story about a woman who was hired for a job she didnt really want, but took becvause the salary was lucrative, then posted on FB slamming th company, saying she is only doing it for the money, some one of the managers got a hold of it aand instanly gave her the heave ho!.............
                      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Also for me I dont think that I have that interesting of a life that I want to share it with the whole world online................nor do I find anyones life so interesting that I want to constanly know what they are doing, Ive got bills to pay and things to do, working in my studio takes up most of my time.........
                        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Avyer
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by zamb
                          it has taken over some peoples like so that everywhere they go they have a camera, ready to sap a picture just to post it on facebook. I remember ready a story about a woman who was hired for a job she didnt really want, but took becvause the salary was lucrative, then posted on FB slamming th company, saying she is only doing it for the money, some one of the managers got a hold of it aand instanly gave her the heave ho!.............
                          With today's technology you don't even have to have a traditional camera...Most phones will do it. Hell I snapped a picture of this morning's traffic and posted it, bitching about the mess it is. And Facebook did it's job as a social networking site, in starting a conversation among a few people.

The case in the job-lost... This happens more than one might think. Even for lower-end jobs now. A "background" check now includes simply googling the person and seeing what pops up. This is even happening at an academic level in accepting graduate students and such.

In a case that I was lucky enough to witness, in high school (2006) the class president, first in class, etc... Was "tagged" in photos of her drinking. These pictures landed with the administration, and she suffered a lot of penalties because of it (lost scholarship). This hasn't really slowed her progress in college, as she is currently undergrad class president, but still relative.
                          Remember, be here now.

Comment

• hobo
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by DRRRK
                            Do I have to buy a suit from the current Raf Simons collection to be able to say that I do not want to own one? Because it is shit, as banal as this argument may seem? Do I have to use Twitter to judge it? My opinion about Twitter is that it was and still is a useful medium in the Iran revolt or other social or political trouble spots. I just do not want it in my life. Do I have to get deeper? It is a popular medium and it can be, like other mediums, manipulative. If I can choose, who or what manipulates me by simply not using a medium I will not use it.
                            Of course you don't have to buy the suit, but it would seem sensible to have a good look at it before you dismiss it. I never said that everyone has to Twitter, what I said is don't shout from the rooftops about how shit it is unless you actually know, that's all. If you don't want it in your life, that's cool man.

Originally posted by mike lowrey
                            I of course understand your point here and I'm sure that this very much applies in your case, and I'm sure no one is criticizing you personally here. but then again it doesn't change the fact that a large part of twitter users are teenagers writing about their cat and semi-celebrities telling they ate a hot dog. so even though there are exceptions, its hard not to think that most of the time its nonsense. if I dislike it 95% of the time, can I say its wack?
                            Mike, man, please... I really am not taking this issue personally. I really am enjoying debating it, and if people are criticizing me, good. Criticism forces introspection, which is a good thing. As Rabbi Burns wrote, 'What a gift to ge us, ta see us sens as others see us, from many a blunder, it would free us.'

I think that there are two separate issues here;
                            1. If you don't want to twitter, fair enough.
                            2. If you're only reason for not Twittering is because 95% of Twitter is shit, then you may as well stop looking at the internet, stop watching TV and stop reading magazines and newspapers.

It would be a far better argument to say;

Originally posted by DRRRK
                            My opinion about Twitter is that it was and still is a useful medium in the Iran revolt or other social or political trouble spots. I just do not want it in my life.

Originally posted by philip nod
                            thanks for going easy on me!

making friends, pnidzy style.
                            Hey Niddy, you know I'm just fucking with you! I'm still hoping that we're gonna grab that beer when I come over to see Faust and Gentry!
                            "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Come on, Mona, jump right in!
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Hobo, let me know when you are coming! Mi casa, su casa.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎