Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • H-R
    • May 2007

Can I add Langer's to the EAT list? I think they have the best pastrami in town...

Comment

• DHC
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post
      DHC-Re: Zankou....skip their roast chicken...its always dry. Go for the chicken shawarma instead. And yes, the garlic butter is my crack with the red radishes.

I do like the sweet Kyochon too. Have you been to Korean shabu. Great place called Seoul Garden on Olympic. Tahoe for the all u can eat BBQ. I know its not the greatest cuts of beef...but value wise, cant beat it. BCD tofu house is great for a cold day.

Kogi Taco truck...avoid the sliders though.

Din Tai Fung in Arcadia for the best soup dumplings (go before 11 or u will be waiting for an hour)

Peach or strawbeery donuts from DONUT MAN in Glendora.

Damn, you get the 4x4 animal style at InO...too decadent for my blood. Im surprised u are not a fatty after that suggestion.

Los Feliz/Silverlake for live music.
      Of course I've been to Seoul Garden...many a time my friend. BCD is okay and but I'd rather cook what they offer at home. Tahoe is kind of turnoff as the meat has been frozen. There is a place another place (I can't think of the name at the moment) that is killer. Its not all you can eat, but I like my meat fresh so it trumps Tahoe.

Donut Man huh? Need to check that out. I don't have a sweet tooth, but that sounds pretty good.

\/ LANGERS! Don't know how that got overlooked. heh. I love a good deli, but NYC schools LA on that tip so I'm not even touching it.
      Originally posted by Faust
      fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• comedyzen
        • May 2009

Yeah...Like I said, Tahoe isnt the best quality, but when you are pounding down Hites, its all good.

Donut man is run by a Cambodian dude....he only uses the best quality ingredients. Im not a sweet tooth, but I will travel far for the peach or strawberry donuts (if u do go, call first as those are seasonal).

Langers? I'm not in the know on delis, where is this.

I will be in LA this weekend, plan on swinging by your shop as I will be in Little Tokyo for a meeting on Sunday....which reminds, Sushi Gen for good sush.

Comment

• een
          • Sep 2006

Second on Sushi Gen - good and dependable.
          Further east on 1st St in Boyle Heights - La Serenata di Garibaldi, excellent Mexican seafood.
          Further east on Cesar Chavez in East LA - Cinco Puntos, fantastic tacos with homemade tortillas and encurtido de nopales.

Comment

• Pinoy
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by een View Post
            Further east on Cesar Chavez in East LA - Cinco Puntos, fantastic tacos with homemade tortillas and encurtido de nopales.
            LOVE THIS PLACE :)

Originally posted by DHC View Post
            Tahoe is kind of turnoff as the meat has been frozen. There is a place another place (I can't think of the name at the moment) that is killer. Its not all you can eat, but I like my meat fresh so it trumps Tahoe.

\/ LANGERS! Don't know how that got overlooked. heh. I love a good deli, but NYC schools LA on that tip so I'm not even touching it.
            Re: KBBQ place, maybe you're talking about Park's BBQ? Soot Bull Jeep? Langer's is awesome– especially their double baked rye bread, but nothing can touch Katz's!

Originally posted by Raw Edge View Post
            also going to attempt the secret beef place...
            Are you referring to Totoraku? It will change your world.

Comment

• comedyzen
              • May 2009

Cinco Puntos, never heard, may I get cross streets please? I am always looking for good Mexican. My taco go to is a little stand called Yucca's on Hillhurst in Los Feliz. I am trying to develop my Mexican palette. All suggestions will be considered.

What is everybody's opinion on Phillipes in Chinatown adjacent? The double dipped sandwiches were always just OK for me. People rave about it though. I consider more of a tourist trap these days.

Comment

• een
                • Sep 2006

Cinco Puntos
                3300 E Cesar E Chavez
                Just past the Evergreen Cemetary. btw - it's carry out.

Phillipes? Ehh. I like the lamb sandwich, but nothing to get excited about. They do (maybe did, it's been a year or two) serve Duckhorn Cab and Merlot though...
                Coles has a better vibe, and probably just as much "authenticity" but I don't prefer their French Dip.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                  • Dec 2006

eats...

- (seconded) Providence - impeccable seafood, great tasting menu at 100pp, not cheap but not outrageous price for the quality you get. awesome service, love this place.
                  - (seconded) Mozza - i think the Pizzeria was more of a standout than the Osteria. make reservations now. the Osteria was good, but there are better places.
                  - (seconded) Urth Cafe - great casual place for breakfast
                  - (seconded) Urasawa - supposed to be the best sushi & japanese food on the west coast, but $$$$ (it's like 25+ "courses")
                  - Mori sushi - close second to Urasawa (a little cheaper too, i think). impressive how mori-san commissions his own rice and own dishes though.
                  - Sushi Zo - great fish but last couple times i went it felt like a factory, i was rushed and it was a bit of a turnoff. at 150pp, it's still less than half of what Urasawa costs but i'd personally go to Kiriko Sushi or Sushi Sushi.
                  - Kiriko Sushi - in sawtelle, great omakase ~ 100pp, relaxed and friendly, my go-to place when i'm in LA
                  - Sushi Sushi (Beverly Hills) - great traditional sushi, good omakase which is pretty set menu everytime i've been..some more traditional seasonal dishes as well - 60-100pp (personally i think Kiriko, Zo, and Sushi Sushi are all better than Nozawa..Sushi Gen is a tier or two lower, but the price reflects that as well)

- Totoraku ("Pico Teriyaki House"..secret beef place) - if you can go with someone who's been before, great for beef

- Chosun Galbee - great quality Korean food, my fave in Koreatown

- (on the fence) CUT - pretty good steaks, if you're around Maxfield Bleu / Rodeo area. i'm sure there's a better steakhouse in LA though.

- Wurstkuche - great exotic sausages and beer when you're near Sartorialoft.

anyone go to Bouchon? it was just OK in Yountville IMO..

more to come in a bit...wish i was in LA right now.

Comment

• een
                    • Sep 2006

kev-
                    re: sushi - have you been to Go's Mart in Canoga Park - I think it's pretty great; if a little heavy on the truffle oil (and the ambience is zero, especially given the tariff)
                    I miss the old Sasabune on Sawtelle....great lunch omakase.

Chosun Galbee is a nice place (a good friend of mine did the architecture) but I find the flavors a little off, the kimchee just ok...the quality of the meat is quite good though.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                      • Dec 2006

nope, never been to Go's Mart. i've heard about it, but i'm a bit hesitant to drop 250 on a place that has absolutely no ambiance, or correction, the ambiance of a video store. i'm sure it's great but for that price, i'd rather partake in a meal at Mori or two omakase dinners at Kiriko. i know the focus is the food, but at some point i think the price is unpalatable when compared to the dining experience. that's my opinion - at least in LA, where the competition is tough. that's why i'm not particularly fond of Sushi Zo - 150pp and you're ushered out in 40 mins while still chewing your negitoro hand roll..

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

this thread makes me miss the aspect of dining out in back in the U.S. where you get a diversity of cuisines with consistent quality across the board...that Animal place sounds like how I imagine heaven would be.
                        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• reborn
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kompressorkev View Post
                          eats...

- (on the fence) CUT - pretty good steaks, if you're around Maxfield Bleu / Rodeo area. i'm sure there's a better steakhouse in LA though.
                          the nice thing about CUT is the service at the Beverly Wilshire. The dining lounge, The BLVD, in the hotel is awesome and has a very old hollywood feel...and the food and drinks are good too.

Comment

• prednisone
                            • Nov 2007

Midori sushi is fun, $26 all you can order for an hour, and the quality's pretty good.

Elite Restaurant in Monterey Park for dim sum.

I second Din Tai Fung in Arcadia for soup dumplings.

I love Yogurtland.

Shows at the Greek Theatre are nice.

Driving along the Pacific Coast Highway around Malibu's always fun. There's some great scenic views off the east side of Mulholland Drive, along with Runyon Canyon. The west side of Mulholland Drive is a fun, twisty canyon road that'll take you to Malibu.
                            FS: Julius FW05 leather fencing jacket sz 3

Comment

• mw000
                              • Jan 2009

Great thread.

I go to LA pretty often and its nice to learn something new every time I go.

Bouchon was pretty good! I went to the Las Vegas location as well. Tried the Steak Frites, short ribs, Mussels and Chicken (not all me!)

I enjoyed the Steak and the short ribs the most.

I highly recommend the Rillettes aux Deux Saumons. Crème brûlée was also fantastic

Chosun Galbee in K-town is a good casual dinner spot

I was going to try Urasawa last time, but unfortunately I ran out of time.

I think I will be jotting down some of these recommendations for next time!

Comment

• prednisone
                                • Nov 2007

If anyone's looking for ramen, Santouka in Mitsuwa Marketplace has good ramen. I recommend the spicy miso ramen and the salt miso ramen.
                                FS: Julius FW05 leather fencing jacket sz 3

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎