X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raw Edge
    • Jan 2008

Los Angeles Thread?

Is there an L.A. thread already? If so please move this.
    Going to L.A. for a few days next week. Other than handling some business and first time visits to Mfield Blue/Sartloft, I was planning to just roam.

Anyone who knows L.A. have good ideas for where to go/stay/eat?
    Last edited by Raw Edge; 11-11-2009, 05:54 PM.
  • mesh
    • Dec 2006

Nope absolutely nothing.

Comment

• Raw Edge
      • Jan 2008

thanks you.

Comment

• reborn
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Raw Edge View Post
        Is there an L.A. thread already? If so please move this.
        Going to L.A. for a few days next week. Other than handling some business and first time visits to Mfield Blue/Sartloft, I was planning to just roam.

Anyone who knows L.A. have good ideas for where to go/stay/eat?
        I recommend the Andaz on Sunset...awesome hotel, awesome location. Highly recommend it.

Comment

• DHC
          • Jul 2007

There is much to do in Los Angeles. Something for everyone. Its not easy to recommend things as it really depends on what you are looking for.
          Couple of suggestions in the way of dining: You should hit up Urasawa and if you're around on (or after) the 18th you can hit up Bouchon. 18th is the opening day. I am looking forward to that myself. :) Better jump on reservations STAT!
          Originally posted by Faust
          fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Raw Edge
            • Jan 2008

had forgotten about Urasawa, and its a place I had wanted to check out for a long time now. thanks guys.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

food: Gjelina in Venice (looks awesome but couldn't get a table), Comme Ca (very good european-american, best restaurant burger in town), Animal (awesome but heavy), The Little Next Door (cafe/bistro), Holy Quacamole in Santa Monica has good burritos. for breakfast and lunch I like Urth Caffe and Breadbar in w. hollywood / beverly hills. theres some good places to grab a bite on Farmers Market, Lotteria is very good for example. oh and for japanese, R-23 should be nice, havent been though.

shop: Sloft, Maxfield, H. Lorenzo, HLNR, maxfield bleu, barneys.. Obsolete in venice for some crazy furniture etc.

see: its mostly driving around, is there anything in particular you want to see/do?

stay: The London in W. Hollywood is very nice, not cheap per se but very reasonably priced compared to many other same level places.

D, what was that steak joint in Korea town we went to? a true blast from the past, good food as well.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• een
                • Sep 2006

probably Taylor's on 8th St

Comment

• DHC
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by een View Post
                  probably Taylor's on 8th St
                  Yes, it was Taylor's on 8th. Thanks B.
                  I totally forgot about Gjelina. Still need to hit that place up. Animal is definitely worthy of a visit. Please don't do that place solo. It is best to eat family style there. As ML said, the food is very heavy. Than again, ML and I did over half the menu in one sitting...haha. Good, bloated to the point of pain, times.

EDIT: Also, Animal can do any animal you desire. They just need 3 days notice. If you get a good size crew going, I'd say do a whole roasted pig. That'd be awesome!

Sartorialoft

Comment

• Pinoy
                    • Dec 2006

Great recommendations from ML and DHC here.

Unfortunately, Bouchon is booked up for the next 3 weeks...

Urasawa is a fantastic choice as well– very heavy on the pocketbook, but well worth it. November is an excellent time to go as well if you're an uni lover. Hiro-san's uni is the best I've come across. He also has a fantastic edamame custard with ikura this time of the year. For something cheaper than Urasawa, check out

I'd also recommend AOC on 3rd St for mediterranean inspired small plates, The Bazaar at the SLS for molecular gastronomy if that's your thing, Church and State right next to Sartorialoft has excellent appetizers (bone marrow..mmm..), and Pizzera Mozza has the best pizza in town too. Angelini's Osteria and Osteria Mozza for Italian, Sushi Zo or Sushi Nozawa for sushi, Grace Restaurant, Rustic Canyon serve great new american food. Providence is tops for seafood. If you're looking for ethnic food, there is a ton of good Thai, Korean, Armenian, Indian, and Ethiopian food in LA. PM me if you want details or need specific restaurant recommendations.

Comment

• comedyzen
                      • May 2009

EATS: I 2nd Nozawa for sushi. LEAVE THE CELLPHONE IN THE CAR!! Katsu-Ya in Studio City (the Hollywood location is a scene). La Buca on Melrose for Italian (the owner flew over his mother from Italy to run the kitchen). Westminster for the best Vietnamese/Pho but a long drive. The Alcove in Los Feliz for good Cal food and ambiance. IN n Out Burger is a MUST and easy on the wallet. El Pollo Campero for fried Chicken. Zankou Chicken for the best Schwarma. MMMM.. California Chicken Cafe for cheap and Healthy.

As for shopping, I agree with the usual suspects but I would add BNY if yo happen to be in Santa Monica (but not worth a special trip). I like the selection at H Lorenzo, but the highest mark ups I ever seen. They have been around for so long because the Hollywood elite shop there. Maxfields Bleu is probably my favorite for the wallet.

Comment

• DHC
                        • Jul 2007

Nice Zen! Katsu-Ya in Studio City has never disappointed. If you want to delve into fried chicken, I'm sorry but its all about Kyochon. The chicken at Zankou isn't great, but damn that garlic spread makes it a joy to eat. What is that stuff anyways? Like garlic and lard? Grace is good too, but my last couple visits were not memorable. IN N OUT is a must! Go animal style and add raw onions on double/double-4X4. You can get the fries animal style too, but order the fries well done or they get way too soggy. Damn I love food.

Sartorialoft

Comment

• Raw Edge
                          • Jan 2008

this is great info, I'm glad to see you guys love food as much as I do.
                          Already made reservations at Urasawa! definitely going to check a lot of these places out too- Animal, Comme Ca, and probably Zo or Nozawa.
                          also going to attempt the secret beef place...

now i'm just looking around online for music/nightlife/culture or areas good to check out

Comment

• reborn
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Raw Edge View Post
                            this is great info, I'm glad to see you guys love food as much as I do.
                            Already made reservations at Urasawa! definitely going to check a lot of these places out too- Animal, Comme Ca, and probably Zo or Nozawa.
                            also going to attempt the secret beef place...

now i'm just looking around online for music/nightlife/culture or areas good to check out
                            RUNYON CANYON
                            LACMA
                            MOCA
                            Labrea Tarpits
                            Getty
                            HAMMER
                            bunch of places on sunset for nightlife, comedy clubs, bars etc.

Comment

• comedyzen
                              • May 2009

DHC-Re: Zankou....skip their roast chicken...its always dry. Go for the chicken shawarma instead. And yes, the garlic butter is my crack with the red radishes.

I do like the sweet Kyochon too. Have you been to Korean shabu. Great place called Seoul Garden on Olympic. Tahoe for the all u can eat BBQ. I know its not the greatest cuts of beef...but value wise, cant beat it. BCD tofu house is great for a cold day.

Kogi Taco truck...avoid the sliders though.

Din Tai Fung in Arcadia for the best soup dumplings (go before 11 or u will be waiting for an hour)

Peach or strawbeery donuts from DONUT MAN in Glendora.

Damn, you get the 4x4 animal style at InO...too decadent for my blood. Im surprised u are not a fatty after that suggestion.

Los Feliz/Silverlake for live music.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎