Clear All
  • laughed
    • Jul 2009

R-23.

Comment

• DHC
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by prednisone View Post
      Elite Restaurant in Monterey Park for dim sum.
      ..because one thumb up is just not enough. The macao pork is killer.
      Originally posted by Faust
      fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• mononon
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by een View Post
        kev-
        re: sushi - have you been to Go's Mart in Canoga Park - I think it's pretty great; if a little heavy on the truffle oil (and the ambience is zero, especially given the tariff)
        I miss the old Sasabune on Sawtelle....great lunch omakase.

Chosun Galbee is a nice place (a good friend of mine did the architecture) but I find the flavors a little off, the kimchee just ok...the quality of the meat is quite good though.

agreed on chosun, i used to go there several time a week lol
        calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• comedyzen
          • May 2009

I wish Westminster wasnt 50 minutes away from me when I visit LA (I'm in Los Feliz). Pho 54 has the best Pho Tai out there. They cook the broth all day in a huge pot in the back..the way is should be made. Would love to find a good Banh Mi in the city.

Comment

• mesh
            • Dec 2006

The best sushi is at asanebo, about 120 a head.

The house specialties are incredible.

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

If anyone's looking for ramen, Santouka in Mitsuwa Marketplace has good ramen. I recommend the spicy miso ramen and the salt miso ramen.
              that sounds good

there literally isn't a single decent ramen joint in Hong Kong...it's all either Ajisen Ramen (had that for lunch today, left a numb taste in my mouth from the oversaturation of MSG) or mostly random street shops in mong kok and around kowloon, the kind you hear quite frequently in the news about people getting collective food poisoning.

OT, but my favorite ramen place in the world just around the corner from Minamiaoyama subway station has officially closed down last time i checked. heartbreaker.
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• comedyzen
                • May 2009

I hear a lot about this place. Is 120 Omakase? If so, how many pieces is that?

Originally posted by mesh View Post
                The best sushi is at asanebo, about 120 a head.

The house specialties are incredible.

Comment

• mesh
                  • Dec 2006

No, we don't do the omakase but we usually sit at the bar and have the chefs essentially bring out whatever they feel like or what's fresh/seasonal for the day until we're full. I believe they have two types of omakase I honestly don't remember and it is more than that. That price is each person's average bill and it is very reasonable considering the quality of fish flown from tokyo that morning and rice cooked the proper way/temperature. That includes a couple of beers and some handmade ice cream with a medium appetite. We usually buy them beers too.

Comment

• comedyzen
                    • May 2009

Sounds wonderful. I will try it. I used to go to a place called TAMA in Studio City...but the owner went to Bev. Hills to open KATSU..both went under : (. TAMA went to hell when Katsu spent all of his time trying to open KATSU...then with the crappy economy, his BH place never took off. Been hitting Nozawa and Gen a lot when in LA.

Comment

• een
                      • Sep 2006

xlb anyone...
                      Mei Long Village is a Sunday staple for us, as much as Pelikan is for herring here in Stockholm, would love to hear any other suggestions.

Comment

• mesh
                        • Dec 2006

I always love going there, I don't bother going anywhere else because the food is superb. Have eaten at mori (quite good) and sushi sushi which is more no nonsense traditional where they don't deviate much nor is there any creativitiy (had 4 kinds of toro there) and eaten from lightest to darkest for most satisfaction supposedly. Katsuya (brentwood) I rank as one of the trendy spots and in that vein I do like katana for casual non serious commercial eating with a nice crowd for out of towners who can't appreciate sushi in a more pure form. The popcorn tempura is amazing too, served with broth made from scratch and sea salt. It's almost time to go back. There used to be this crazy artisanal tempura chef also in some downtown hotel awhile back that was 80 pp but didn't get a chance to go before he left.

Other recs not mentioned include axe on abbott kinney (menu is hit or miss, hits are very satisfying), BLD for casual dining great food (shaved rib eye sandwich on ciabatta bread, fried egg sandwich with gruyere for lunch, burger all great). I also really do love bandera on wilshire west of the 405, french dip (i never liked them until here) with side of fries is phenomenal as is the corn bread plate with a side of guac, olives and focaccia (sp?), mac n cheese sides. I have a super secret fried fish sandwich that I don't dare tell sz about at gulfstream and I don't even like fish. Maybe another time.

Comment

• prednisone
                          • Nov 2007

anyone know a good diner? I've been craving a mean chicken fried steak for a while.
                          FS: Julius FW05 leather fencing jacket sz 3

Comment

• comedyzen
                            • May 2009

I don't normally recommend any chain, but Claimjumper has good CFS and other home cooking style foods. I think it is the Cracker Barrel of the West.

anyone know a good diner? I've been craving a mean chicken fried steak for a while.

Comment

• DHC
                              • Jul 2007

Not a big fan of CFS, but my wife is...she likes Jack & Jill' CFS.
                              Originally posted by Faust
                              fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Pinoy
                                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post
                                What is everybody's opinion on Phillipes in Chinatown adjacent? The double dipped sandwiches were always just OK for me. People rave about it though. I consider more of a tourist trap these days.
                                Meant to swing by last night to give their double dipped lamb sandwich with bleu cheese a go, but ended up at the Varnish haha

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎