Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Thread?

Cinco Puntos, never heard, may I get cross streets please? I am always looking for good Mexican. My taco go to is a little stand called Yucca's on Hillhurst in Los Feliz. I am trying to develop my Mexican palette. All suggestions will be considered.

What is everybody's opinion on Phillipes in Chinatown adjacent? The double dipped sandwiches were always just OK for me. People rave about it though. I consider more of a tourist trap these days.

Cinco Puntos
    3300 E Cesar E Chavez
    Just past the Evergreen Cemetary. btw - it's carry out.

Phillipes? Ehh. I like the lamb sandwich, but nothing to get excited about. They do (maybe did, it's been a year or two) serve Duckhorn Cab and Merlot though...
    Coles has a better vibe, and probably just as much "authenticity" but I don't prefer their French Dip.

eats...

- (seconded) Providence - impeccable seafood, great tasting menu at 100pp, not cheap but not outrageous price for the quality you get. awesome service, love this place.
    - (seconded) Mozza - i think the Pizzeria was more of a standout than the Osteria. make reservations now. the Osteria was good, but there are better places.
    - (seconded) Urth Cafe - great casual place for breakfast
    - (seconded) Urasawa - supposed to be the best sushi & japanese food on the west coast, but $$$$ (it's like 25+ "courses")
    - Mori sushi - close second to Urasawa (a little cheaper too, i think). impressive how mori-san commissions his own rice and own dishes though.
    - Sushi Zo - great fish but last couple times i went it felt like a factory, i was rushed and it was a bit of a turnoff. at 150pp, it's still less than half of what Urasawa costs but i'd personally go to Kiriko Sushi or Sushi Sushi.
    - Kiriko Sushi - in sawtelle, great omakase ~ 100pp, relaxed and friendly, my go-to place when i'm in LA
    - Sushi Sushi (Beverly Hills) - great traditional sushi, good omakase which is pretty set menu everytime i've been..some more traditional seasonal dishes as well - 60-100pp (personally i think Kiriko, Zo, and Sushi Sushi are all better than Nozawa..Sushi Gen is a tier or two lower, but the price reflects that as well)

- Totoraku ("Pico Teriyaki House"..secret beef place) - if you can go with someone who's been before, great for beef

- Chosun Galbee - great quality Korean food, my fave in Koreatown

- (on the fence) CUT - pretty good steaks, if you're around Maxfield Bleu / Rodeo area. i'm sure there's a better steakhouse in LA though.

- Wurstkuche - great exotic sausages and beer when you're near Sartorialoft.

anyone go to Bouchon? it was just OK in Yountville IMO..

more to come in a bit...wish i was in LA right now.

kev-
    re: sushi - have you been to Go's Mart in Canoga Park - I think it's pretty great; if a little heavy on the truffle oil (and the ambience is zero, especially given the tariff)
    I miss the old Sasabune on Sawtelle....great lunch omakase.

Chosun Galbee is a nice place (a good friend of mine did the architecture) but I find the flavors a little off, the kimchee just ok...the quality of the meat is quite good though.

nope, never been to Go's Mart. i've heard about it, but i'm a bit hesitant to drop 250 on a place that has absolutely no ambiance, or correction, the ambiance of a video store. i'm sure it's great but for that price, i'd rather partake in a meal at Mori or two omakase dinners at Kiriko. i know the focus is the food, but at some point i think the price is unpalatable when compared to the dining experience. that's my opinion - at least in LA, where the competition is tough. that's why i'm not particularly fond of Sushi Zo - 150pp and you're ushered out in 40 mins while still chewing your negitoro hand roll..

this thread makes me miss the aspect of dining out in back in the U.S. where you get a diversity of cuisines with consistent quality across the board...that Animal place sounds like how I imagine heaven would be.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Quote Originally Posted by kompressorkev View Post
    eats...

- (on the fence) CUT - pretty good steaks, if you're around Maxfield Bleu / Rodeo area. i'm sure there's a better steakhouse in LA though.
    the nice thing about CUT is the service at the Beverly Wilshire. The dining lounge, The BLVD, in the hotel is awesome and has a very old hollywood feel...and the food and drinks are good too.

Midori sushi is fun, $26 all you can order for an hour, and the quality's pretty good.

Elite Restaurant in Monterey Park for dim sum.

I second Din Tai Fung in Arcadia for soup dumplings.

I love Yogurtland.

Shows at the Greek Theatre are nice.

Driving along the Pacific Coast Highway around Malibu's always fun. There's some great scenic views off the east side of Mulholland Drive, along with Runyon Canyon. The west side of Mulholland Drive is a fun, twisty canyon road that'll take you to Malibu.

Great thread.

I go to LA pretty often and its nice to learn something new every time I go.

Bouchon was pretty good! I went to the Las Vegas location as well. Tried the Steak Frites, short ribs, Mussels and Chicken (not all me!)

I enjoyed the Steak and the short ribs the most.

I highly recommend the Rillettes aux Deux Saumons. Crème brûlée was also fantastic

Chosun Galbee in K-town is a good casual dinner spot

I was going to try Urasawa last time, but unfortunately I ran out of time.

I think I will be jotting down some of these recommendations for next time!

If anyone's looking for ramen, Santouka in Mitsuwa Marketplace has good ramen. I recommend the spicy miso ramen and the salt miso ramen.

Quote Originally Posted by prednisone View Post
    Elite Restaurant in Monterey Park for dim sum.
    ..because one thumb up is just not enough. The macao pork is killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Quote Originally Posted by een View Post
    kev-
    re: sushi - have you been to Go's Mart in Canoga Park - I think it's pretty great; if a little heavy on the truffle oil (and the ambience is zero, especially given the tariff)
    I miss the old Sasabune on Sawtelle....great lunch omakase.

Chosun Galbee is a nice place (a good friend of mine did the architecture) but I find the flavors a little off, the kimchee just ok...the quality of the meat is quite good though.

agreed on chosun, i used to go there several time a week lol

I wish Westminster wasnt 50 minutes away from me when I visit LA (I'm in Los Feliz). Pho 54 has the best Pho Tai out there. They cook the broth all day in a huge pot in the back..the way is should be made. Would love to find a good Banh Mi in the city.

The best sushi is at asanebo, about 120 a head.

The house specialties are incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by prednisone View Post
    If anyone's looking for ramen, Santouka in Mitsuwa Marketplace has good ramen. I recommend the spicy miso ramen and the salt miso ramen.
    that sounds good

there literally isn't a single decent ramen joint in Hong Kong...it's all either Ajisen Ramen (had that for lunch today, left a numb taste in my mouth from the oversaturation of MSG) or mostly random street shops in mong kok and around kowloon, the kind you hear quite frequently in the news about people getting collective food poisoning.

OT, but my favorite ramen place in the world just around the corner from Minamiaoyama subway station has officially closed down last time i checked. heartbreaker.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

I hear a lot about this place. Is 120 Omakase? If so, how many pieces is that?

Quote Originally Posted by mesh View Post
    The best sushi is at asanebo, about 120 a head.

The house specialties are incredible.

No, we don't do the omakase but we usually sit at the bar and have the chefs essentially bring out whatever they feel like or what's fresh/seasonal for the day until we're full. I believe they have two types of omakase I honestly don't remember and it is more than that. That price is each person's average bill and it is very reasonable considering the quality of fish flown from tokyo that morning and rice cooked the proper way/temperature. That includes a couple of beers and some handmade ice cream with a medium appetite. We usually buy them beers too.

Sounds wonderful. I will try it. I used to go to a place called TAMA in Studio City...but the owner went to Bev. Hills to open KATSU..both went under : (. TAMA went to hell when Katsu spent all of his time trying to open KATSU...then with the crappy economy, his BH place never took off. Been hitting Nozawa and Gen a lot when in LA.

xlb anyone...
    Mei Long Village is a Sunday staple for us, as much as Pelikan is for herring here in Stockholm, would love to hear any other suggestions.