Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeN
    • Nov 2007

I'll be in LA for the first time in like 8 years starting tomorrow! I'm there to DJ one party on Saturday night, but I'll be there until Tuesday. Got a res for Monday night at Bouchon. David I'm definitely coming to check you out!

Also look for Andrew and I, hand in hand in our skirts skipping down Sunset Blvd looking like this:

Last edited by MikeN; 12-17-2009, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• delirium
      • Sep 2008

no one here ever hits up Thai town?

i recommend checking it out.

otherwise looks like some great suggestions!

Comment

• mesh
        • Dec 2006

Mike where are you staying? Please enjoy the weather we are having a nice warm spell.

Comment

• MikeN
          • Nov 2007

Hancock Park at a friend's apartment

Comment

• Monty76
            • Sep 2006

Need some advice. I have a short afternoon in LA and can probably only hit 2 shops - narrowed it down to these four...

Maxfield, Sartorialoft, H.N.L.R. and H. Lorenzo Men

Interested to see some Poell, LUC, Guidi, Doma, Julius all the usual suspects. Does anyone carry Harnden? and does the markup at Maxfield make it not worth going? Which two should I hit?

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

first and foremost Sartorialoft

from the others, hard to rank them. from the labels mentioned, Maxfield would have some Poell though not sure how much at this time. HLNR and H.L. have Julius and Doma, the latter a slightly wider selection imo.

all three are quite close to each other, Maxfield and HLNR are 100 meters from each other.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Monty76
                • Sep 2006

Sartorialoft is my top priority! even though its a little out of the way.

Thanks for the info Lowrey.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Just make sure Sartorialoft is open - call ahead. Of course it should be your #1 destination :-)
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rocknrollnigger
                    • Jan 2009

I would like to add Bay Cities Italian Deli in Santa Monica to this list. I love the godmother. The wait is sometimes retarded. Usually I wouldn't mind it cause they always have godmother's ready. But of course my girlfriend likes to order caprese.

Langer's is really good and has been mentioned, love the old dinner feel. The whole time eating there I imagined it would be a place Steve Buscemi would fit nicely into. The area is a little sketchy to me though, and I don't like to park my car around westlake. Plus the water is really green.

Comment

• 23wlvs
                      • Feb 2011

Can anyone recommend a good tailor in Los Angeles? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• gavagai
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by Monty76 View Post
                        Need some advice. I have a short afternoon in LA and can probably only hit 2 shops - narrowed it down to these four...

Maxfield, Sartorialoft, H.N.L.R. and H. Lorenzo Men

Interested to see some Poell, LUC, Guidi, Doma, Julius all the usual suspects. Does anyone carry Harnden? and does the markup at Maxfield make it not worth going? Which two should I hit?
                        I can't speak for Sartorialoft as I have not visited but H Lorenzo is huge and offers much more than is available online. They carry all brands you list with the exception of CCP and Harnden.

Comment

• Magic1
                          • Jan 2011

Daniel the Tailor is exceptional. He doesn't have a storefront, so you have to go to his house, but he's really nice and quite affordable. He use to be the in-house tailor for BNY on Main, which was an amazing store in santa monica which is unfortunately no longer...PM me for daniel's number. Last time I had a suit altered by him and his house was full of garment bags from maxfield. I said, wow you shop at maxfields quite a bit? and he said "no, but I get a lot of clients from them"

As for food...
                          I love philippes (get the beef french dip). Coles is too full of themselves. but yes, they have a secret bar in the back that everyone feels soooo cool going to. yawn.
                          Wurstkuche is great for beer and awesome hotdogs. great vibe too.
                          bay cities is great, as mentioned above. but you should really just order online and pick up, the wait is ridiculous...
                          Church and State is very nice (right next to sartorialoft too)
                          Asia de Cuba is probably my favorite restaurant, but need some saving up to go there...
                          Katsuya (not the same as katsu-ya) is a wonderful japanese fusion restaurant, try the ceviche, it's fantastic.
                          I'm also a fan of Zankou when you need to eat cheap.
                          Urth is good but I always feel disgusting eating there--place is full of rich yuppies and hipsters.
                          Froma on melrose is the place to be. get the salmon ensalate. no longer on the menu but fantastic
                          Mozza is wonderful, especially the sage oil pizza
                          Din Thai Fung is a great dumpling house. very cheap too.
                          Food Fair by Diego's is a semi-hidden jem.

Besides the many museums people have mentioned, try to check out bergamot station. group of galleries huddled together with a small cafe. great place to spend a few hours. santa monica.

And, the Magic Castle, Hollywood. world class magic performed in 5 different showrooms featuring different genres of magic. national landmark, pretty good food, formal attire. by invitation only.
                          Last edited by Magic1; 03-30-2012, 01:06 AM.

Comment

• laughed
                            • Jul 2009

i hear there's some pretty good shops around santee alley. i don't know.

Comment

• CityHunter
                              • Apr 2011

Any word about the Akai Ito Boutique in the Arts District (2nd and Vignes)? I pass it almost everyday when I get my morning coffee...it looks interesting but there is only so much I can see through the dirty windows.

Comment

• Acéphale
                                • Apr 2010

SOUND OF HORROR
                                Live score to Carl Dreyer's Vampyr
                                by
                                Steven Severin of Siouxsie And The Banshees
                                11th October @ The CineFamily

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

Working...
                                X