• coldcreep
    • Jan 2012

I'll be there this Thursday.

Comment

• Garley
      Banned
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by CityHunter View Post
      Any word about the Akai Ito Boutique in the Arts District (2nd and Vignes)? I pass it almost everyday when I get my morning coffee...it looks interesting but there is only so much I can see through the dirty windows.
      I was just there this weekend. The owners introduced themselves; nice guys who are excited about their work. I think they mentioned something about an opening party this weekend - I've been checking their facebook for mention of it. They said they'll be putting up the sign for their store (which is currently unmarked).

I wasn't familiar with some of the brands they had and I've been trying to figure out some of the tags I saw. I might have to go back and figure out what I was looking at. Cool stuff.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

It's been a while :-) Any updated food recommendations, as well as exhibits, galleries, etc.?
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• itch-bay
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          It's been a while :-) Any updated food recommendations, as well as exhibits, galleries, etc.?
          La is not known for its restaurants, but if you are in Santa Monica go to a tiny place called the nook. It's a low key place but really great. If you just want to take a picture of your food go to red medicine.

Comment

• fncyths
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by itch-bay View Post
            La is not known for its restaurants...
            hmmm, not sure about that one.

faust,

stroll down abbot kinney in venice. hit up Gjelina, The Tasting Kitchen, Sunny Spot, Lemonade, Intelligentsia, Guild, Weltenbuerger, etc.

Go see the Kubrick exhibit at LACMA
            Originally posted by Shucks
            it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
            Originally posted by interest1
            I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• andrewislasorad
              • Nov 2006

La is not known for its restaurants
              LOL

If you want good food come EAST

What I have been eating lately: Bar Ama, Allumette, Bestia, Baco Mercat, Cortez, Guisados, Daily Dose, Animal, Red Medicine, the Hart & the Hunter

Classics: Stella, Little Dom's, Mako Sushi

Westside I like: Axe, Gjelina

so many good ones..

...and now I'm hungry

Comment

• fncyths
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by andrewislasorad View Post

If you want good food come EAST

so many good ones..

...and now I'm hungry
                Second that for sure! Just tried Guisados the other night. That Mole Poblano taco is INSANE!!!
                Originally posted by Shucks
                it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                Originally posted by interest1
                I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

La is not known for its restaurants
                  LOL, seriously, I have yet to have bad food in LA. I mean, order room service and it will be good.
                  Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Thanks, gents. Going to lacma today and hoping to see some of you at our party tonight!
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Marko
                      • Jul 2009

There is a quite nice new vegan restaurant called Crossroads. They have a great wine list, as well. If you like sweets the carrot cake ice cream is incredible.

Comment

• Anomie
                        • Jan 2011

Restaurants:

Animal

Bestia

Cafe Stella - lounge in front has good cocktails. Silver Lake.

Red Medicine - would be my first choice
                        Rustic Canyon Winebar - I have not been but I think Chef Fox is amazing.

Son of Gun - The fish restaurant from the Animal crew.

Superbra Snack Bar - Chef worked at Blue Hill at Stone Bar and The Tasting Room in NYC. Venice.

Comment

• treasurehoard
                          • Dec 2009

So many good places to eat in LA. Animal is have not been in a while, need to get back there soon.

To add more to the above:

Jitlada (thai) is amazing find myself going a few times a month. Massive menu so much good stuff you can't really go wrong with anything.

Gusto (Italian) near Son Of A Gun on 3rd went for the 1st time last month, followed up by a 2nd visit a few days later. Did a course meal the 1st time and more relaxed pizza and wine the 2nd. Pasta was cooked perfectly and had so many amazing flavors. Pizza was also top notch.

Pizzeria Mozza & Osteria Mozza (Italian) The pizza is some of the best in the city. The broccolini w/ chilies & vinegar is so good - I always try to replicate this at home but never can get it quite as flavorful. Mozzarella bar has some good choices too.

Honey Pig (Korean BBQ) Meat is good quality, sides are very fresh. At the end of the meal they bring over rice and fry it up on the grill and mix in all of the sides and meat you might have left over. Prefect to take home for leftovers.

Sushi Zo (sushi) The owner is a total control freak sushi nazi but its worth putting up with him because he knows what he is doing. Fish is fresh and flavorful. Omakase is always a great experience.

Providence (Asian fusion I guess) the course menus are pricy but if you want to spring for something you will not forget well worth it.

Matsuhisa (sushi) personally didn't care the sushi I ordered off the menu and would rather do Sushi Zo if I am in the mood for that. However the Omakase was one of the best meals I ever ate.

Plan Check (burgers) last time I went I had hangover fries and a truffle mushroom burger. They also have this ketchup leather which is really something special. Also love the sodas that are made in house.

Pinks (hot dogs) yeah I said Pinks LOL but late at night after drinking it really does the trick.

Boa
                          Cut
                          Water Grill
                          Taste
                          Chosun Galbee
                          Hole In The Wall Burger
                          Eva (might be closed at this point)

Could add a more ...

Jonathan Gold Essential 99:

more Gold reviews:

From my experience anything Gold recommends favorably usually suits my palate.

Also kind of related if you are in the mood to cook high quality, delicious meat check out Lindy & Grundy butcher shop.

Comment

• Magic1
                            • Jan 2011

glad someone mentioned jitlada. great food and probably one of the cheapest places mentioned yet.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                              • Dec 2006

immersound_LAX, tonight at Human Resources:

"shibui_oto is pleased to present immersound_LAX in partnership with Human Resources and VOLUME. immersound_LAX will showcase artists Christopher Bissonnette (CA), Tim Hecker (CA), and Akira Rabelais (US), for an intimate evening of performances in an immersive 6.1 channel installation."

should be magical, so bummed i'm missing it by 2 days...

so a little preview:
                              Tim Hecker, Virgins

Christopher Bissonnette, In Between Words

Akira Rabelais, Spellewauerynsherde

oh and late on this, but LA has incredible food. sushi, brunch, ramen, izakaya, high end, low end, "modern" (for lack of a better term), italian, persian, thai, mexican, peruvian, burgers, lobster rolls...pretty much anything you'd want.

Comment

• kurta
                                • Jun 2014

Exhibition of Sex Pistols Photographer Dennis Morris's Work

From Saturday, August 9th until the 23rd there will be an exhibition of photographer Dennis Morris's legendary cache of Sex Pistols photography at Known Gallery (441 North Fairfax Ave., Los Angeles 90036). The man's work is pervasive and powerful.

Think of your favorite Sex Pistols or Bob Marley photograph. Chances are it was taken by Morris, a British photog who began his extraordinary career shooting photos for Marley after tagging along on his first London tour, and has gone on to do so much iconic work. He was similarly immersed in the Pistols world (Lydon was a huge reggae fanatic, and sought out Morris after learning of his work with Marley), and those legendary images have been compiled into the book The Bollocks: A Photo Essay Of The Sex Pistols. The exhibit is in celebration of that; I've come to know Dennis quite well recently, and he assures me that the layout and structure of the show makes it quite a bit more than a mere gallery exhibit. (Although, that seemed certain just based on the nature of his work with the Pistols. The man has stories, and his images convey them.)

Here's info on the Known Gallery website, and here's the link to Morris's website, and here's a flyer for the show:

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎