Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CityHunter
    • Apr 2011

Speaking of good LA food, Bestia is stright up magical. Highly recommended. And I'm excited, as I'm hitting up Ink for the second time tonight. It lives up to the hype, although as I experienced last time the desserts leave something to be desired.

I got word of a spot called The Ladies Gunboat Society...southern fare I believe? I'll have to check that out.

Comment

• Anomie
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by CityHunter View Post
      Speaking of good LA food, Bestia is stright up magical. Highly recommended. And I'm excited, as I'm hitting up Ink for the second time tonight. It lives up to the hype, although as I experienced last time the desserts leave something to be desired.

I got word of a spot called The Ladies Gunboat Society...southern fare I believe? I'll have to check that out.
      Check out Alma and for breakfast/lunch Sqirl.

Comment

• zen dog
        • Jan 2014

If you are downtown, I like Bar Ama- great Mexican, Tex/Mex food- the chili rellanos are some of the best I've ever had and the tres leches dessert pops up in different variations- amazing.

It is an easy walk to the Museum of Contemporary Art from Bar Ama and inbetween the two is The DoubleTree Hilton, a good place to stay and it has a mall attached to it that has a wonderful bookstore- great design/art selection and rack after rack of magazines- hard to beat amount of Japanese fashion imports.

Comment

• fncyths
          • Apr 2010

Hey LA. Where do you go to get your haircut (men)
          Originally posted by Shucks
          it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
          Originally posted by interest1
          I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• kurta
            • Jun 2014

Bäco Mercat is a restaurant I visit frequently in downtown LA. The atmosphere is lively and spunky yet somewhat refined, and that goes for the food, too (though the ingredients and combinations deserve a more extreme affirmation than "somewhat"). The Catalan region of Spain is the primary focal point for this cuisine, so it is not for the extremely restricted diet, though if you do seafood you'll find plenty (and meats and cheeses, of course, are plentiful). Handpicked ales and wines abound, too.

Another great option is right across the street -- it's called Kazu Nori, and as you'd imagine, it has great seaweed. It's a handroll joint, and though sashimi is available, it's really pared down in terms of options, and delightful because of it. This place is a delight for those tired of making decisions -- there's only one type of sake, and five handrolls to choose from. You can't go wrong, no matter what you do.

And speaking of Baco Mercat, chef Josef Centeno has taken over the place formerly known as Pete's Cafe, and reduced its name to Pete's LA. I'm going on Friday, I'll let the Angelenos amongst you know how it goes.

Comment

• minhcu2805
              • Mar 2013

Just moved to LA, any night entertainments suggestions? :D

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Tinder?
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                  • Apr 2010

/ \

Originally posted by Shucks
                  it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                  Originally posted by interest1
                  I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• treasurehoard
                    • Dec 2009

Jumbo's Clown Room? LOL

Serious suggestions would be to download the 5 a Day App which is run by the band Yacht. Every day they suggest 5 things to do in LA. The descriptions are well written and they post some hidden gems on there (as well as some fails). Great for finding stuff to do on those tinder dates

An annotated timeline of one band's battle against entropy.

Also DOLA is a good site for concerts and shows. Has a decent database of the various clubs around LA and whats happening on a daily basis.

Los Angeles - DoLA is What to do in Los Angeles.

It's currently Dine LA Restaurant Week until Feb 1:

Fall is a great season to get out and dine. Whether it's a special meal enjoyed al fresco or catching up with friends and family, we have more than 350 restaurants offering specially priced lunch and dinner menus starting at $15.

Comment

• Senpai
                      • Apr 2014

Foie Gras Rueben at Wexler's Deli is actually pretty insane. Worth it if you've got money to kill on something like that. But actually I'd just recommend going to Wexler's in general. Been there a lot recently.

Animal is still good
                      Son of a Gun is still good
                      Wolvesmouth still one of my favorites in US
                      Red Medicine went out of business
                      Bestia is fantastic
                      Cool Haus's Thai Iced Tea ice cream rocks
                      Night Market will make you sick and sucks
                      Sqirl makes the best jam around.
                      Gjelina is fantastic, Gjelina take away is great for lunch (get the pizza with smoked ricotta and roe!!)
                      Gjusta is pretty good too. Baklava Croissant is on point
                      Bar Ama (obviously)
                      Hinoki Wood on Abbot Kinney sells nice japanese cutlery and pots etc
                      I'll try and think back on more good thing's ive done in LA recently.

Comment

• NoisyArmchair
                        • Mar 2014

Is there anywhere on SZ that provides a good list for places to buy clothes in LA? Not sure how good/bad LA is for fashion and if it's all nestled in one area or spread out.

Comment

• Senpai
                          • Apr 2014

Depends on what you want.

Maxfield carries Harnden

Hlorenzo carries Boris, M.A+, Indi Sent, A1923, Luc, and more

Sartorialoft carries similar brands to Hlorenzo but stocks some different pieces

Comment

• lupus
                            • Nov 2013

I'll add Little Beast in Highland Park to the must eat list. It's in an old craftsmen house in a hilly neighborhood. Great vibe and excellent food.

Also, Stocking Frame downtown is pretty good. Pastrami tacos.

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                              • Oct 2009

Where to stay in LA? Hotels, nice Airbnb places, everthing is helpful.
                              Thanks in advance.

Cheers
                              T
                              "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• andrewislasorad
                                • Nov 2006

hotels:
                                chateau marmont
                                - weho
                                the line - k-town/wilshire
                                ace hotel - downtown

I'm partial to the eastside (hollywood, los feliz, silverlake, echo park, downtown, highland park, atwater, etc...). If you choose to rent a place, some adjacency to Sunset blvd helps for getting around. I'd say try to get a spot up on a hill in any of the above places. Let me know when you're out this way..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎