X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mw000
    • Jan 2009

Transportation

Anyone interested in cars, motorcycles and vehicle design?

I am a huge fanatic of modern and classic automobiles and am an avid motorcyclist as well.

Just curious as to what the SZ-er's preferred or ideal mode of transportation is.

Lets get started!
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

we have a motorcycle thread somewhere, search for it.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
      • Sep 2006

i love cadillacs and buicks. hate modern car design.

Comment

• comedyzen
        • May 2009

Dream car is 1978 Aston Martin Vantage. Looks like Europe's answer to the Camaro of the day.

Comment

• sam_tem
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mass View Post
          lately nothing has been more appealing to me than the thought of getting one of the new Golf TDIs. i love mid-century cars but the practicality and efficiency of modern cars is enough to make me wet my pants.

Comment

• comedyzen
            • May 2009

I don't understand the love affair with VWs (not saying you are one of them). My gf and several friends have vowed to never buy a VW again due to problems both great and small (plastic molding popping off to water pumps going bad). I like VW design, but based off consumer complaints, would never get one. I prefer the Japanese designs anyway like the Infiniti G37. Nice lines and solid cars.

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Thinking about buying one of these and getting it painted in matt grey.

Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• sam_tem
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post
                I don't understand the love affair with VWs (not saying you are one of them). My gf and several friends have vowed to never buy a VW again due to problems both great and small (plastic molding popping off to water pumps going bad). I like VW design, but based off consumer complaints, would never get one. I prefer the Japanese designs anyway like the Infiniti G37. Nice lines and solid cars.
                what year were there VW's made? i know their quality was lacking in the past, but everyone i know that has bought a VW in recent years has loved it and as far as i know they turned that corner a while ago.

my desire for it is economical and based off the fact that it may very well be the 3rd most fuel efficient car behind the prius/insights but has a quality diesel engine (which VW is known for) that will outlive any hybrid, is fun to drive in the city, is safer and can accomodate a taller driver better. i work in oil and gas so i know gas isn't worth the $2.40/gal we're paying now and it sure as hell won't be worth the $4/gal we'll be paying in a year and a half. plus it's small which is desperately needed in my city these days since the roads just can't support all the additional people trying to move back in-town. hell no am i going to start valet parking, that's more money for clothes yo.

Comment

• comedyzen
                  • May 2009

I did hear good things about MPG on the TDI. My gf had a 2003 Beetle. Friends had VWs made between 1999-2004. Nothing but horror stories.

Comment

• mw000
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                    Thinking about buying one of these and getting it painted in matt grey.

Do it! That would be very cool. As a kid, my neighbor had a 1970 280SL in blue and I would stare at it every day.

Would you do charcoal grey or like a medium primer grey?

The navy/navy wheels/tan combination makes me think of this particular 300SL. Gorgeous color combo

Vintage Mercedes drive beautifully and are classy automobiles. I've spent a lot of time in vintage MB's. A few notable ones being a 560 SEC widebody, 280 + 300SL, W140 S500 + 600L and a R129 Brabus SL500 and I must say a lot of these older MB's are engineered far ahead of their time

Comment

• comedyzen
                      • May 2009

Wow. This car is beautiful.

Vintage Mercedes drive beautifully and are classy automobiles. I've spent a lot of time in vintage MB's. A few notable ones being a 560 SEC widebody, 280 + 300SL, W140 S500 + 600L and a R129 Brabus SL500 and I must say a lot of these older MB's are engineered far ahead of their time[/QUOTE]

Comment

• mw000
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by mass View Post
                        Cadillac in the 50's was definitely American automotive design at it's prime. The definition of grandiose and excess!
                        '57 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz was my childhood favorite.

A lot of the passion of auto building was lost during the 80's and 90's due to the trend going towards econoboxes.

Though many of the new designs do lack the character and soul of older cars with their geometric parts and mass produced body stampings I think there was a good effort at revival in the last 5 years or so.

This is not really a fair comparison of the average car being designed nowadays but if you look at some recent designs with an unlimited budget in mind, the Aston 1-77 and Pagani Zonda (in all forms, S,F,R,Cinque and so on) are remarkable designs.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by mw000 View Post
                          Would you do charcoal grey or like a medium primer grey?
                          I am thinking a darker grey, almost darkshadow. Used to think my ultimate car would be an ac cobra in matt black but every other car is now matt black so must buck the trend. Somewhat.
                          Still looking for a reasonably priced model tho.
                          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by Eternal
                            If they are going to make these, I would love to own one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJElJt_D7e0
                            You may want to watch this before you start saving

Jeremy Clarkson tests out the one-off 650 Bhp VW Golf GTi W12-650.

Comment

• MaxM
                              • Sep 2009

Kicking the 'unlimited budget' cars ass: The Ultima GTR

WTB : http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16112

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎