• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mne
    • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    You left off the last sentence!
    hahaha apologies for the obvious faux pas!

Comment

• DudleyGray
      • Jul 2013

“The floor seemed wonderfully solid. It was comforting to know I had fallen and could fall no farther.”

“I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.”
      -The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath
      bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• interest1
        • Nov 2008

Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.

– Stephen Hawking, 1942-2018

RIP
        sain't

Comment

• Hon
          • Dec 2017

I take great comfort in quotes by Horace, a famous Roman poet during the reign of Augustus. With the development of technology, it amazes me how relevant these ancient works are today, despite their immeasurable intelligence. I also just love Latin.
          "Life grants nothing to us mortals without hard work."
          "Nothing's beautiful from every point of view."
          "Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow."
          "The foolish are like ripples on water, for whatsoever they do is quickly effaced; but the righteous are like carvings upon stone, for their smallest act is durable."

Comment

• holajr
            • Feb 2011

As a charlatan of a translator I've always enjoyed this quote.

“Translation is always a treason, and as a Ming author observes, can at its best be only the reverse side of a brocade- all the threads are there, but not the subtlety of colour or design.”

― Kakuzō Okakura, The Book of Tea

The Book of Tea was written by Kakuzo in Boston. However, the Chinese translation of the book contains an interesting note which suggests the Ming author that Kakuzo quotes might actually have been another ‘釋贊寧’ from the Song era. And that the original intent of the Chinese author was to express the ideal of translation, whereas Kakuzo interpreted this as an expression of its limits.

For those that can read Chinese:
            【譯者另外加註:出處疑為宋代(而非作者所稱之明代)釋贊寧《宋高僧傳》卷三:「翻也者如翻錦綺背面俱花。 但其花有左右不同耳。」譯者認為,釋贊寧的原文描述的是翻譯的理想,但岡倉天心將之理解為翻譯 的侷限。】

Comment

• Philipppp
              • Apr 2010

“The quieter you become, the more you can hear.”

― Ram Dass

Comment

• mne
                • Mar 2016

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”

― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower (This quote changed my life)

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mne View Post
                  “We accept the love we think we deserve.”

― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower (This quote changed my life)
                  So glad you are reading it :-)
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mne
                    • Mar 2016

I read it twice and saw the film three times. Then I saw Undercover FW18 and cried. :)

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎