Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • franzakhi
    • Mar 2013

“Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination...Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to.”
    ― Jim Jarmusch
    "If you have a choice, do what you want.
    If you have no choice, do what you need."

Comment

• kompressorkev
      • Dec 2006

(on dreams)

“I suppose it is submerged realities that give to dreams their curious air of hyper-reality. But perhaps there is something else as well, something nebulous, gauze-like, through which everything one sees in a dream seems, paradoxically, much clearer. A pond becomes a lake, a breeze becomes a storm, a handful of dust is a desert, a grain of sulphur in the blood is a volcanic inferno. What manner of theater is it, in which we are at once playwright, actor, stage manager, scene painter and audience?”

- W.G. Sebald, The Rings of Saturn

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

His prose is so quietly beautiful.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post

The future is merely an illusion, people spend way too little time in the present.

You don't say.
          sain't

Comment

• juansolorzano
            • Oct 2012

"Never spend your money before you have earned it"

-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• interest1
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by juansolorzano View Post

"Never spend your money before you have earned it"

-Thomas Jefferson

Yes, I'm sure the fine marketing folks over at American Express will be all over that one.
              sain't

Comment

• MJRH
                • Nov 2006

in the very same vein,

the glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money. (jefferson)
                Last edited by MJRH; 05-20-2013, 03:34 AM.
                ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• juansolorzano
                  • Oct 2012

"I think there is beauty in everything. What ‘normal’ people would perceive as ugly, I can usually see something of beauty in it."

— Alexander McQueen
                  R.I.P

Comment

• interest1
                    • Nov 2008

sain't

Comment

• Stijn
                      • Jun 2011

Anywhere Out of the World

This life is a hospital where every patient is possessed with the desire to change beds; one man would like to
                      suffer in front of the stove, and another believes that he would recover his health beside the window.
                      It always seems to me that I should feel well in the place where I am not, and this question of removal is one
                      which I discuss incessantly with my soul.
                      'Tell me, my soul, poor chilled soul, what do you think of going to live in Lisbon? It must be warm there, and there
                      you would invigorate yourself like a lizard. This city is on the sea-shore; they say that it is built of marble
                      and that the people there have such a hatred of vegetation that they uproot all the trees. There you have a landscape
                      that corresponds to your taste! a landscape made of light and mineral, and liquid to reflect them!'
                      My soul does not reply.
                      'Since you are so fond of stillness, coupled with the show of movement, would you like to settle in Holland,
                      that beatifying country? Perhaps you would find some diversion in that land whose image you have so often admired
                      in the art galleries. What do you think of Rotterdam, you who love forests of masts, and ships moored at the foot of
                      houses?'
                      My soul remains silent.
                      'Perhaps Batavia attracts you more? There we should find, amongst other things, the spirit of Europe
                      married to tropical beauty.'
                      Not a word. Could my soul be dead?
                      'Is it then that you have reached such a degree of lethargy that you acquiesce in your sickness? If so, let us
                      flee to lands that are analogues of death. I see how it is, poor soul! We shall pack our trunks for Tornio. Let us go
                      farther still to the extreme end of the Baltic; or farther still from life, if that is possible; let us settle at the Pole. There
                      the sun only grazes the earth obliquely, and the slow alternation of light and darkness suppresses variety and
                      increases monotony, that half-nothingness. There we shall be able to take long baths of darkness, while for our
                      amusement the aurora borealis shall send us its rose-coloured rays that are like the reflection of Hell's own
                      fireworks!'
                      At last my soul explodes, and wisely cries out to me: 'No matter where! No matter where! As long as it's out
                      of the world!'

Charles Baudelaire

Comment

• trentk
                        • Oct 2010

"You see, to me it seems as though the artists, the scientists, [the mathematicians,] the philosophers were grinding lenses. It's all a grand preparation for something that never comes off. Someday the lens is going to be perfect and then we're all going to see clearly, see what a staggering, wonderful, beautiful world it is." - Henry Miller, edited to include a type which he either didn't include or conflated with scientists
                        "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• juansolorzano
                          • Oct 2012

"I've always enjoyed traveling and having experience with different cultures and different people. But it's also a wonderful thing to be able to benefit and enable research, not only in our country but around the world."

-Laurel Clark

Comment

• interest1
                            • Nov 2008

sain't

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Yea, well :)
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• juansolorzano
                                • Oct 2012

“What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it.”

-Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎