Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JD_May
    • Apr 2010

I drink much bourbon. Of all varieties I can find to try. Conversely, pretty much the only scotch I drink is Balvenie (any of them).
    In a perfect world you could fuck people without ever giving them a piece of your heart.
    And every glittering kiss and every touch of flesh is another shard of heart you'll never see again.

Comment

• JCastor
      • Dec 2010

love a good single malt. not solid favorite though.

a cocktail ive been into lately is,

laphroaig(10 is fine)
      velvet falernum
      angostura bitters
      muddled cucumber
      sodawater

hits the spot

Comment

• Dandyzoku
        • Dec 2010

how is japanese whisky? I saw it other day in my local supermarket, which is japanese, and wanted to try it, but was unsure. The idea of the Japanese making whisky seemed strange and gimicky, but most of the time, they do things better than the people who did so originally.
        qu'est-ce que je doit apporter à ces créatures???

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Dandyzoku View Post
          how is japanese whisky? I saw it other day in my local supermarket, which is japanese, and wanted to try it, but was unsure. The idea of the Japanese making whisky seemed strange and gimicky, but most of the time, they do things better than the people who did so originally.
          They win a lot of medals. I don't think they really should, but they do. Mostly, the good japanese whiskeys are wonderfully balanced, but quite mild. Lovely, pleasant whiskeys with a lot going on, but it all seems kind of muted next to the better American or Scottish whisk(e)ys.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• viv1984viv
            • Feb 2008

well said etruscan, but I've recently came around to thinking that a smooth whisky is more to my tastes than massive peat or medicinal notes.... a warm, rounded, balanced whisky is not boring and often much more enjoyable.
            Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• pierce4
              • Mar 2010

Currently getting into the Irish peat smoked whiskies.

Also, is there a cocktail thread? If not there should be one :)

Comment

• theetruscan
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
                well said etruscan, but I've recently came around to thinking that a smooth whisky is more to my tastes than massive peat or medicinal notes.... a warm, rounded, balanced whisky is not boring and often much more enjoyable.
                Viv, it's all personal preference. Most of the time I prefer peat and iodine, but I should never claim Islay whisky is inherently better than Speyside or anywhere else*, it is just more often what I want when I want whiskey. Usually for something mellower, I am not seeking whiskey.

Given your preference, I think you will far prefer the good speysides to Japanese whisky.

* I am sure that I do after a few too many glasses.
                Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

Not just Whisky but Achatz and team are opening a bar called The Aviary in Chicago soon.

research and development of some of the drinks are on this youtube channel:

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

and my mind has exploded. Seeing innovation, creativity and work on this level is what I love more than anything. Applied to all fields.
                  www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• franz
                    • Mar 2011

A couple Glen Grant and Glenlivet from 1965
                    Brora 30y 3rd release still waiting to be opened, as is a bottle of Port Ellen 9th release, 30y too

But I'd recommend a few Japanese Whiskies. I've seen so quoting Yoichi 10y on the thread, it's ok, I really liked it, but grew a bit tired of it.
                    Try a single cask Yoichi, the 1991-2007 was great, albeit probably hard to find now.
                    The Coffey Single Malt is very strange, with hints of menthol, but worth trying if you find it in a bar.

My favorites : Number One Drinks bottling of Japanese whisky, especially Karuizawa (e.g. the two bottles on the right). Truly exceptional. Worth trying to look for them (easier said than done, except if you reside in London or Paris)
                    Originally posted by Faust
                    True story. Dude walks into Hostem, looks around, says, "I like how you took this whole All Saints thing and ran with it."

Comment

• sinbad
                      • Dec 2009

I love drunk, I love all kinds of liquor.
                      ART IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT, NOT WHAT OTHERS TELL YOU IT IS.

Comment

• BlackLeatherKelly
                        • Jan 2009

Bookers bourbon whiskey.Buy some drink it.Drink this you'll fall over.

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

Recently tried the 1984 Suntory Yamazaki, voted the world's best whiskey. I have to say, I don't get it at all. Nice whiskey. Absolutely phenomenal nose, but it tastes a bit dull. For $600 a bottle, it's insane. For $100 a bottle, I can think of at least a dozen better options. Fun to smell, anticlimactic and disappointing to actually bother drinking. I can see it standing up well in a comparison because of the mellowness, nice nose, and balance, but it's just not that good.

On the plus side, the 2004 Murray McDavid Ledaig is quite nice for daily drinking, and the price isn't bad at all.

Comment

Suntory Yamazaki is ok. All Suntory's blends follow some kind of dao of perfection, which not good for some of them.

Yoichi 2005 super nice but really hard to find (especially here, in damned russia)

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

That's a lot of spam. You do know you can put multiple ideas into one post without spraining your brain, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎