Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

whiskey is a very personal matter, much more so than something like cigars....

and strictly imho, but a good whiskey shouldn't be ruined by the cheapness of a cigarette, go with a quality cigar instead...
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Ohrstrom
      • Nov 2008

The Balvenie Single barrel 15 yrs is my personal favorite, its has a lovely sweetness and quite easy to drink. If im at the pub i ususaly drink JW black Label, work perfectly with a pint of Guiness imo.

Also a nice surprise is the Mackmyra (Swedish Whisky). The only swedish if im not mistaken. Its quite different from the whisky ive tasted. Can definitely recommend it!

Anyone tried Japanese whisky? I tried it once, cant remember the name, but i think it had a salty overtone...

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

I've had the Nikka 10 Year for Japanese whiskies, I liked it. Very dry.
        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• thehouseofdis
          • Jan 2010

I'm a bourbon drinker.

When I can find it I buy Pappy Van Winkle's 15 year old and 12 year old bourbon. On a more regular basis I buy Knob Creek and Bulleit bourbon. If none of those are available I go to Maker's Mark.
          THE HOUSE OF DIS
          embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• TypicalFashion
            • Mar 2007

Currently in my possession scotchwise:

Balvenie 21 portwood
            Grand Old Parr (gifted to me)
            Macallan 10 (gifted to me)
            Aberlour A'bundah (sp)
            Laphraoig 12 cask

I think thats it, I'm a Islay fan mostly, but I'll drink a good speyside when people are around that arent into the peet.

Comment

• TypicalFashion
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
              I only drink Lagavulin 16, it's the nectar of the gods. I've had plenty of other bottles but it just works so much for me I don't bother with anything else anymore, except Jack Daniels for sentimental "rock/punk" reasons.
              We could be best friends, I'm a big lag 16 fan.

Comment

• TypicalFashion
                • Mar 2007

I'm also interested in where people drink these fine distilled beverages

Comment

• ronin
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                  I've had the Nikka 10 Year for Japanese whiskies, I liked it. Very dry.
                  I tried Nikka at a japanese whisky taste event a few months ago. I found it surprising, I didn't know what to expect. Very pleasant though, I gladly finished my second glass, and that Nikka sales representant was a pleasure to talk to, he told us about the fabrication in lots of detail, now if only I could remember half of it. I don't recall which kind it was, a 12 year old single malt but which one, I have no clue. It was dry, but not too dry, definitely not smoky, with a fine aftertaste of amber.

I got a bottle of Aberlour 12 for my last birthday. I find it easier to drink than Lagavullin, which I enjoy a lot in small quantities, but Aberlour is lighter, softer, I'd choose it for casual drinking.

My ex was a bourbon drinker, I got him a bottle of Blanton's, so I learnt to appreciate it, it's a really sweet blend, but I'm more of a single malt person.

Comment

• sharkweek
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by ronin View Post
                    I tried Nikka at a japanese whisky taste event a few months ago. I found it surprising, I didn't know what to expect. Very pleasant though, I gladly finished my second glass, and that Nikka sales representant was a pleasure to talk to, he told us about the fabrication in lots of detail, now if only I could remember half of it. I don't recall which kind it was, a 12 year old single malt but which one, I have no clue. It was dry, but not too dry, definitely not smoky, with a fine aftertaste of amber.

I got a bottle of Aberlour 12 for my last birthday. I find it easier to drink than Lagavullin, which I enjoy a lot in small quantities, but Aberlour is lighter, softer, I'd choose it for casual drinking.

My ex was a bourbon drinker, I got him a bottle of Blanton's, so I learnt to appreciate it, it's a really sweet blend, but I'm more of a single malt person.
                    The shop I work at just got the Nikka Miyagikyo 12 year and the Nikka Taketsuru 21 year blend. The blend is great, so elegant and floral

has anyone had any Japanese oak whiskies? Tasting notes I've seen make them sound like older bourbons almost

Current favorites have been Signatory Bowmore 1972, Benrinnes 23 and the unpeated Caol Ila 10 year.

currently drinking: William Larue Weller (67.4% !!)

super super dry, dried tobacco, varnish, cherry and burnt almonds

Comment

• jgan85
                      • Apr 2008

Laphraoig 12, best within my budget thus far
                      ________
                      Yamaha Xv535 Specifications
                      Last edited by jgan85; 04-05-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

In the bar right now:

Gordon &McPhail Caol Ila 12 - Excellent, softer than most Caol Ilas.

Lagavulin Distiller's, 1993 - Not nearly as good as 1991/1992, not (to my mind) as good as regular Lagavulin 16.

Ardbeg Corryvreckan - Peaty, smokey, lovely, very iodiny, light. Hot though! Add a touch of water.

Ardbeg airigh nam beist - everything great about Ardbeg, toned down with age.

Pappy Van Winkle 15 - Best wheated bourbon. 20 and 23 of the same are maybe better, but only maybe, and not worth 2-5x the price. Makes the manhattan of kings.

Bruichladdich Peat - good, peaty, sweet, not as interesting as the Ardbegs though.

Bruichladdich 3D3 - Like the Peat, but with a touch less peat, and a touch more delicious.
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• laughed
                          • Jul 2009

a shamrock shake with some jameson up in it.

Comment

• sansoda
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2010

Glenrothes 1991, for the price, can't be beat IMHO

Comment

• sharkweek
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                              In the bar right now:

Gordon &McPhail Caol Ila 12 - Excellent, softer than most Caol Ilas.

Lagavulin Distiller's, 1993 - Not nearly as good as 1991/1992, not (to my mind) as good as regular Lagavulin 16.

Ardbeg Corryvreckan - Peaty, smokey, lovely, very iodiny, light. Hot though! Add a touch of water.

Ardbeg airigh nam beist - everything great about Ardbeg, toned down with age.

Pappy Van Winkle 15 - Best wheated bourbon. 20 and 23 of the same are maybe better, but only maybe, and not worth 2-5x the price. Makes the manhattan of kings.

Bruichladdich Peat - good, peaty, sweet, not as interesting as the Ardbegs though.

Bruichladdich 3D3 - Like the Peat, but with a touch less peat, and a touch more delicious.
                              I was less than impressed with the Pappy Van Winkle 23 batch from a while back. I've heard the new batch has improved but ~$300 for THAT much oak, woooooooof.

Had the Ardbeg supernova? The idea of something with even more peat than Bruichladdich's Octomore scares me

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                                • Oct 2009

Oban 14. Love it!
                                "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎