Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Paris, a new thread

A few thoughts on the restaurants I ate at last week:

Amarante, 12ème: a rather new restaurant, run by chef Christophe Philippe. Very small and unassuming place with a focus on traditional bistro fare. Standard, but great execution. Minimal presentation, maximum taste. First time eating veal brain, which was deliciously creamy . Wine list is all natural, AFAIK. Service is done almost entirely by the dining room manager, who is extremely friendly and professional (best service I've had in my limited experience in Paris).

Open Friday-Tuesday, lunch and dinner. Reservation recommended for dinner, a few days in advance should be fine.

Le Servan, 11ème: an airy, modern looking bistro, run by two sisters. Came here for lunch, went with the menu (25€), which included an entrée, main course and a dessert. Also had a side dish ("zakouski"), some kind of beef filled dumpling with coriander, which was delicious. The main dish was forgettable, a slightly dry duck, but the dessert, a surprisingly light tarte au chocolat, was fantastic. Wine list here is also natural (I'm not enough of an expert to comment on the quality of the selection though).

Open Monday-Friday, lunch (except Monday) and dinner. Lunch was fine without a reservation.

Clover, 7ème: another small restaurant, serving more modern French cuisine, by Jean-François Piège. Also came here for a late lunch. They offer two menus, one at 30€, the other at 42€, with the latter including an additional two entrées, and another choice for the main dish. I went with the smaller option, and thoroughly enjoyed all three courses. The main course was chicken, with a light yellow sauce, slightly sweet and very juicy.

Open Tuesday-Saturday, lunch and dinner. We reserved the evening before for lunch, which wasn't really necessary at 2pm. If you plan to go earlier, however, it may be more difficult, as the dining room was full as we were seated.

Can anyone recommend some good places to go out for drinks/clubs/bars . whatever. I'll be in Paris from Sunday-Wednedsy, I realize those normally aren't good nights to go out anywhere so any suggestions would help.

I've been to a few places before la baron, montana's and silencio, but that was a few years ago, any spots busy on the days I'm there?

Thanks a lot

What are some good places to visit on a Sunday in Paris? Any museum or shopping places that I can visit on a Sunday?

A StyleZeitgeist Block Party!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Default excellent exhibit

Beauté Congo
    Cartier Fondation
    261 Boulevard Raspail
    through the 15 nov
    Hands down one of the best shows I've seen this year, be prepared for a wait ... went twice, half hour to get in each time

The range of artists and work is truly impressive
    It's absolutely Hedious!
    shy poser

I'll be travelling to Paris (and Antwerp) next month for my honeymoon..or at least that's the plan, recent events have been a bit disconcerting for us..

Although I have traveled a fair amount it's actually my first time in the city, I have looked quite a bit through older posts on SZ and other forums and have got a ton of helpful info..but was wondering on if anyone had any tips for shops to check out in in Paris (or either city)that might have archive pieces or maybe some harder to find used items ? There are a couple of pieces I feel like I will eternally be on the hunt for but would love to try my luck while in these cities and haven't been able to find much information. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by Jtothewhat; 11-18-2015 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtothewhat View Post
    I'll be travelling to Paris (and Antwerp) next month for my honeymoon..or at least that's the plan, recent events have been a bit disconcerting for us..

Although I have traveled a fair amount it's actually my first time in the city, I have looked quite a bit through older posts on SZ and other forums and have got a ton of helpful info..but was wondering on if anyone had any tips for shops to check out in in Paris (or either city)that might have archive pieces or maybe some harder to find used items ? There are a couple of pieces I feel like I will eternally be on the hunt for but would love to try my luck while in these cities and haven't been able to find much information. Any help would be much appreciated!
    The best thing you can do for Paris is not to be afraid to go there and enjoy your time. You can't let these fuckers scare you - that's what they want.

I don't know any resale shops in Paris, but there are plenty in Antwerp. There is enough info on Antwerp if you search the respective thread.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Alternatives rue du Roi de Sicile is indeed the best suited store to your request (call them beforehand, on some days they receive by appointment only).
    Surprisingly, I've found some of my favourite archive garnments in more traditional consignment stores, namely the gigantic, tradi-bourgeois Réciproque in the XVIth district, which always carries some old Yohji & Comme on the basement level, and sometimes has a few nice Ann and Dries pieces amongst the racks of plastic-covered Chanel suits and nausea-inducing rallye ball dresses. Don't bother going there for men's clothes though, or for lesser-known labels.

There is Plus Que Parfait in the 4th if you are a looking for a menswear consignment store. I've stumbled upon some vintage comme, lanvin, damir, junya....

Thank-you so much everyone for your suggestions! This is extremely helpful.

Summer 2016, going to Paris 8th of july until 11th of july. Just a weekend.

Does anyone have recommendations for certain exhibitions? Concerts or club nights not to miss? Or anything else?

Thanks.

I just saw the Josef Sudek exhibit and I loved it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I just saw the Josef Sudek exhibit and I loved it.

Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Soetjipto View Post
    Hi…

Will be in Paris soon(end of the year) with my partner… any recommendation boutique hotel with Zeitgeist taste? Budget $65 - $100/ night prefer with balcony/terrace in parisian neighborhood.

THX
    No such thing. Try AirBnb.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Looking for the same thing but more flexible money-wise. Any recommendations?
    Also open to nice Airbnbs (thinking of architects’ apartments).
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

Quote Originally Posted by Nickefuge View Post
    Looking for the same thing but more flexible money-wise. Any recommendations?
    Also open to nice Airbnbs (thinking of architects’ apartments).
    The 2nd on the border with Marais seems to be the new hip hotel area. There is the Hoxton, Arts et Metier, Le Bains, etc. Not the most scenic quarter, but lots of great food.

https://www.hotelnational.paris/en/

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Thanks for the suggestions, will keep them in my travel folder. Unfortunately, the rates are up for the time we’re going to Paris. We’ve decided on a nice AirBnB that’s right around the corner of Palais de Tokyo.
    I’ve curated a small list of AirBnBs with nice interior taste – I could make it public if anyone’s interested.
    Maybe we could start collecting these for more destinations. No one wants to stay at an Ikea flat.
    @Faust: A printed SZ travel guide could be a cool follow-up for the magazine, just saying’ …
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

Quote Originally Posted by Nickefuge View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, will keep them in my travel folder. Unfortunately, the rates are up for the time we’re going to Paris. We’ve decided on a nice AirBnB that’s right around the corner of Palais de Tokyo.
    I’ve curated a small list of AirBnBs with nice interior taste – I could make it public if anyone’s interested.
    Maybe we could start collecting these for more destinations. No one wants to stay at an Ikea flat.
    @Faust: A printed SZ travel guide could be a cool follow-up for the magazine, just saying’ …
    I think we should publish a Paris guide, finally, at least online. I just think this space is so crowded now. Even Cereal magazine has guides now. Would definitely be glad to see your AirBnb list.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I think we should publish a Paris guide, finally, at least online. I just think this space is so crowded now. Even Cereal magazine has guides now. Would definitely be glad to see your AirBnb list.
    This is it

It’s not all 100% my taste but I think there are some gems in it, especially considering the rates they go for.
    -Paris Hilton