Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Paris, a new thread

At la fee verte you can also drink fake absinthe and they will serve the ice-water in the most ridiculously kitsh 70's art nouveau samovar-type contraption. Food is ok brasserie stuff, decent red meat

there's also a really cool traditional parisian canteen sort of place at the bottom of the street where the montana is, called le petit saint benoit. Cheap and very good but not for the faint of heart sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by galia View Post
    the best chinese duck in Paris is also on rue Saint Jacques, but I don't remember the number. It's slightly below the boulevard saint michel on the right-hand side when walking towards the river. it looks completely gross from the outside, but it's excellent ans very cheap

Not far from there, super cute and excellent quiche place: la fourmi ailée, 8 r Fouarre also in the 5th, close to the garden of Saint Julien le Pauvre church (oldest and only remaining romanesque church in Paris if I remember correctly, apparently the oldest tree in Paris is also in that garden. it's right next to the shakespeare & co bookstore)

there, I helped
    I love that church. The tree in the gardens is amazing! It's worth checking out the tapestries at the Musée Cluny if you like a little history. The windows in the église du Saint Severin are pretty amazing too. That's right across the other side of St Jacques from the bar I mentioned. They also do fantastic classical music recitals there. they play Vivaldi's four seasons more than CNN play the news headlines!
    "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

A favourite restaurant a little out of the way in the 14th:

Le Dirigeable
    37 Rue d'Alleray

I prefer the twisty column of st severin to the windows.

Also the garden of the musee de cluny opened a few years ago, I don't know if you've seen it. It's a minuscule little place, but you can see some pretty cool details of the building from it. Worth a look

xxxxx
    Last edited by Dropt; 09-09-2012 at 04:25 PM.

YES best tea in Paris imo. I just use it as my local tea-shop, I never had it there, but I'm sure it's great

Quote Originally Posted by galia View Post
    I prefer the twisty column of st severin to the windows.

Also the garden of the musee de cluny opened a few years ago, I don't know if you've seen it. It's a minuscule little place, but you can see some pretty cool details of the building from it. Worth a look
    Yes, I forgot about the columns! I havent been to musée Cluny for years, but I'll try and stop in and have a look at the gardens next time I'm passing. Ann and Heider show a coup[le of streets away, so it shouldn't be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropt View Post
    For a nice place to take tea, check also:

La maisons des 3 thés
    1 rue Saint-Médard
    5ème arondissement

Don't forget to check out cinemas in this district, there is quite a lot of them (le Champollion,etc...).
    Two great tea shops (take away);
    Palais du Tea
    Rue Vieille du Temple

Dammann Freres
    Place du Vosges

I buy all my tea in Paris. These shops are the best!
    "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Edge View Post
    but surely a thread on "paris and london shops" isnt exactly much compared to whole threads about the food, drink, etc in a city?
    agreed

so, how about some restaurant suggestions?

I admit that even though I'm there at least twice a year, my knowledge is limited to a few places I occasionally go to and otherwise its mostly random walk ins..
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

FabFan's hotpot night!

France is far from being a beer country, but if you're a beer lover like me then the only (!) place worth going to is l'academie de la biere in the 5eme. Really impressive belgian-centered list along with a select few others such as unibroue, decent german hefe selection and some anglo-saxons.

Food is kinda meh, but does the trick for some serious beer drinking. Staff is good, and if you're lucky the owner will serve you, she really knows her shit.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    FabFan's hotpot night!
    Let's do another one soon!
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

yes, round 2?
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

what about cockroach round 2?
    Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

I would like to strongly recommend that anyone who has the time visit the Musee de la Chasse on rue des archives. It's in le marais and it is amazing if you like cabinet de curiosites type of things

Round 2!

about to try couscous in paris. was recommended both 404 and chez omar. probably trying omar tomorrow

chez omar is kind of bleh, ditto most couscous here so far.

Ze Kitchen Gallerie is pretty damn good though, if you're looking for some next level.

sorry for bringing up this semi-old thread, but do you guys reckon there is a possibility to learn french 1 year in france, and then apply to a university in france? just checking out the possibilities, but I can't find any good info on it and we have a few parisisisians here if I've not been fooled?

but paris is damn expensive to live in, would student life in paris suck because of the economy? :D

cheers and thanks in advance

The school system is very different than in most other countries, you might wanna check on that too.
    What are you studying/What do you want to study?

I'm not studying anything at the moment, things didn't go as planned last year so I took a year off to try to find some work and perhaps think a bit of what I really want to do. at first I was thinking of economics, but I'm not sure that's what I'd see myself doing the rest of my life. so actually I'm not sure yet, but I do love technology and from what I've read, paris has a great tech university. can't remember the name of it though :| but since I have quite some time to think of what I want to do... I'm checking up all interesting alternatives now when I have the time.