Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • munch
    • Aug 2008

great, that's what I was hoping for. I am very comfortable with language studies so I'll do my best and even better than that, and maybe even a bit better than so. I'll just have to decide if this is my final destination now and do the research.
    do you know which schools that has french language courses, are considered better? or should they all be good enough?
    thanks

Comment

• MaxM
      • Sep 2009

PM'ed you

WTB : http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16112

Comment

• munch
        • Aug 2008

bringing up le food again... decided to take a trip to paris this autumn
        any good places for real napoli pizza? chunks of buffalo mozzarella, fresh made tomato sauce, basil and olive oil? just plain margherita pizza.
        also I happen to have a love for good hamburgers, not the fast food kind, I would guess paris have some good alternatives? I heard there's a place called american breakfast or something, which supposedly have decent burgers.
        ramen? scoute has this Tokyo Eats place listed, but the website listed seems more like art exhibitions than a restaurant, which it probably is, with a restaurant in it? well the name just suggests it might have some japanese style ramen in it, please confirm/deny
        google also gave me Sapporo Ramen, and it does sound nice

any other food suggestions that might not be too expensive? not going to go 3-star and dish out 200 euros for a tasting menu or something, would like to keep it <30 euros a meal or so~

and for something else than food, I'd like to go see some impressive architecture, both new and old. what would you guys recommend?

thanks

Comment

• galia
          • Jun 2009

Tokyo Eats is the restaurant of the Palais de Tokyo, which is a museum/art gallery type of place, but I don't think it serves ramen specifically, or even Japanese food at all.

For good and cheap Japanese, go to Higuma in rue Sainte Anne

Comment

• Dropt
            • May 2009

xxxxx
            Last edited by Dropt; 09-09-2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

Tokyo Eats is european/fusion food. food is alright, nice atmosphere.

for ramen, I'd suggest Higuma. I was taken here on a chilly friday night by two gentlemen called Geoffrey Small and Alessio Zero, who according to rumours has devoured two of the litre sized bowls.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

munch, stay away from japanese food in paris. i've been dragged a few times - never again! you hear me, parisians?! duck confit!!!
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• munch
                  • Aug 2008

oh lol, what a confusing name. well I still heard it's good, so might have to try it.
                  Dropt: that looks like a nice place, will check it out!
                  galia/lowrey: allright, since you both recommended it I guess it can't be bad.
                  I bet I could down 3 of those bowls if I am hungry enough!

Faust: can't do that after lowrey/galia's suggestion sorry! but if I dislike it, I'll follow your advice

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

oh, I missed galias post, haha.

the bowls are pretty huge.
                    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• ronin
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2009

Add one more recomendation, I really like Higuma ramen. But then again, I've never tasted real ramen so I guess it doesn't count. I'll try some in New York this summer and see if there really is a difference.

For more contemporary japanese food, I like Issé rue de Richelieux (approximately 1 minute from Higuma). Definitely not your traditional Japanese. The chef owns a shop of fine japanese groceries and teaches cooking classes. It's pretty affordable and they have a nice selection of saké.

Oh, and I've eaten at the PDG a few times, the other one in the 8th district. I'm not big on hamburgers, but my friends always seem delighted there.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                        • Dec 2006

for moderately inexpensive eats:

("contemporary Japanese")
                        Restaurant Shu: 8, rue Suger 75006
                        kind of European Japanese, with a leaning towards the more traditional side of Japanese. maybe a bit more savory (garlic-based?) than pure traditional Japanese in a strict sense. but still has traditional dishes like inaiwa udon or ochazuke for a nice finish to the meal. moderately nice and yet comfortable inside.

(thai)
                        Thaim
                        46, rue de Richlieu, 75001

Thiou
                        49, quai d'Orsay, 75007

(bistros)

Chez L'ami Jean
                        27, rue Malar 75007

Chez Michel
                        10, rue de Belzunce 75010

L’Os à Moelle
                        3, rue Vasco de Gama 75015

L'Entredgeu
                        83, rue Laugier 75017

Hotel Du Nord
                        102, quai de Jemmapes 75010

also make sure to try Le404 for Moroccan food (tagine, harissa, mint tea...) and any of the falafel/schwarma places on Rue de Rosiers just a block up from the L'Eclaireur on Rue Mahler in le Marais.

for a nice snack, head over to Le Grand Epicerie (in Bon Marche department store), grab a baguette and some Iberian ham and a bottle of wine and have a nice mid-afternoon picnic by the Eiffel tower with some friends before a late dinner.
                        Last edited by kompressorkev; 04-14-2010, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

/\ my favorite thing to do while pretty much anywhere in Europe is just walking into a good deli, grabbing some bread, cheese, ham and wine and having a picnic. a nice change from the uncivilized country we live in where you have to hide your alcohol in a bag (in those rare places where they permit you to drink to begin with).
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kompressorkev
                            • Dec 2006

yes ham, bread, wine, setting sun - now that's a vacation.

Comment

• munch
                              • Aug 2008

you're allowed to drink alcohol outside in France? in sweden it's disallowed afaik. only in restaurants/bars/clubs/at home. I love picnics and baguettes!

lowrey: so is my apetite!

ronin: cool, I'll def go check out the grocery store! perhaps a sake tour too.
                              hope your friend's right about PDG. thanks!

kompressorkev: nice list! I hope I can have a look at them all.
                              do they serve real thai hot thaifood? I always get disappointed when ordering thai food here.
                              not sure where I might find friends for picnic though... but that's another quest!

thanks a lot peoples and poeples

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

That's cause you swedes are a bunch of alcoholics in tight jeans! ;-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎